Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Fishing " should there be a season"  (Read 2881 times)

roeman

Sturgeon Fishing " should there be a season"
« on: February 29, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

Just for the record I am not attacking those that are posting and those that are going out after sturgeon at this time of year..
But, should there no be some sort of season for these fish.  The water is extremely cold and there is little to no food these fish at this time of year.  Do they really need to be hassled 12 months of the year.  I fish sturgeon alot in late summer and fall, I am not saying it is better to catch and release fish at that time of the year, but with warmer water and tons of food I think the fish recover quicker than this time of the year. 
Personnaly I would like to see the sturgeon fishing shut down during the winter months.  I have no experience as far as fish recovery times, but cold water and little food kind of tells me at can't be a whole lot of fun for the fish. 
Are you fishin or catchin

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Sturgeon Fishing " should there be a season"
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »

can't be a whole lot of fun for the fish. 
Has fishing ever been a whole lot of fun for the fish? LOL

I do agree though. I think the river should be closed for sturgeon from Jan 1st - March 31st. Lots of guides park their boats over the big deep holes and fish them all day, but the fish are so lethargic they just end up sitting on the bait and when the angler sets the hook they end up snagging the fish.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:19:33 PM »

How do you know for sure what sturgeon are eating or not eating this time of year ? I understand there is no salmon around but could there not be another source for them at this time of year ? The cold water can slow them down and allthough they may never like getting hooked these are strong fish ,unless its getting hooked repeatedly should recover fine. What about crayfish and eels.There has to be some other food for them or I'm sure they would go find it like any other speices.  There is not a whole lot of pressure that i've seen on the water lately.  Allthough for the record I've been on the water once this winter, didn't see another boat and caught two small guys. In the summer I'm out often. I don't feel bad  taking the boat out for a run on the river and throw the rods in for a couple hours. This is why I bought my boat and put a top on it. I suppose I should be fishing in the harbor though.

nosey

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »

The sturgeon spawn sometime in the early summer right in the mainstream of the river in lots of areas maybe that's when there should be a closure, so people aren't harrassing spawning fish, why close it in the winter I've never heard of any sturgeon turning up belly up from catch an release, if they are lethargic it should mean that there's less stress on them rather than more. Unless there is some sort of danger to the sturgeon that is real and not just perceived I can't see any point in having any closures actually.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »

There seems to be a lot less people fishing them in the winter now than 25 years ago. Just from what I sort of remember. :-\ I remember when they were open you would get some people fishing nonstop for sturgies.....taste like chicken,pork, beef,ostrich etc etc they used to say. They were usually eastern european types who couldn't believe their good luck being able to keep sturgies for consumption. I tried them and it's pretty freaking obvious that they do taste like .....chicken, pork, beef, road kill thats been rotting on the bottom of the Fraser. But hey to each his own.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:35:56 PM »

troutbreath ,your not supposed to eat them after they have been out in the Sun for a week. ::)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »

the poor sturgeon are going to be pincushions in the summer, no salmon fishing so they will get hit hard..
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »

I hear the tackle stores are comming out with ways to floss  sturgeon.
weeeeeeeeeow!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

good maybe you will catch one now
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 03:47:18 PM »

good maybe you will catch one now

I definatley have a better chance now! Sam taught me the ways ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

roeman

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »

Kingpin...
"No salmon fishing" where did you here that.  Hopefully no snagging, but no fishing??
Are you fishin or catchin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »

Kingpin...
"No salmon fishing" where did you here that.  Hopefully no snagging, but no fishing??

Although the exact decisions have not been released, the early forecast for this year's chinook salmon return on the Fraser River is not very good at all, so a delay in opening is a possibility. The Upper Fraser Valley SFAC will be having a meeting with DFO on March 25th and there shall be more information available after that.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »

This will be even more interesting as the court case noted on another thread, will now have an effect.

If not, then it will be interesting to hear why.