Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bair or lure?  (Read 2382 times)

jacked55

Bair or lure?
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »

Just curious what kind fo setup people are getting luck with on the Chilliwack for short floating? Tried it for my first time today and it was not so productive although alot of other people were catching alot. Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Bair or lure?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

If you are targeting chinook or coho salmon, freshly cured roe is definitely the best ticket under the float. Spinner blades are also pretty good as I have seen many good anglers catching their limit of coho in the past by simply either let it drift down the river or slowly retrieve it across the run. If you are targeting pink salmon, then a piece of pink wool is effective enough. To avoid foul hooking them, simply have your float depth set at two or three feet shorter than the actual river depth. If you want to get fancier, than a pink jig works very well. Again, have the depth shortened to avoid foul hooking fish. We did this a few days ago while fishing there and only foul hooked one, which was hooked when the rig was being retrieved. The float may not go down very often, but when it does, you know it is surely a fish biting. ;)

mzmann

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »

If you are targeting chinook or coho salmon, freshly cured roe is definitely the best ticket under the float. Spinner blades are also pretty good as I have seen many good anglers catching their limit of coho in the past by simply either let it drift down the river or slowly retrieve it across the run. If you are targeting pink salmon, then a piece of pink wool is effective enough. To avoid foul hooking them, simply have your float depth set at two or three feet shorter than the actual river depth. If you want to get fancier, than a pink jig works very well. Again, have the depth shortened to avoid foul hooking fish. We did this a few days ago while fishing there and only foul hooked one, which was hooked when the rig was being retrieved. The float may not go down very often, but when it does, you know it is surely a fish biting. ;)

Spinner blades you are referring to Rodney.....are you talking Colorado blades? how exactly are these set up to fish with? as well as method of fishing with them?....drifted down river with any weight?...on a float?...sorry for such a newb question but I have never fished using these, nor fished the Vedder period, lol......YET! ;)
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Zackattack

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »

the roe that they have pre tied in those roe bags... is it considered fresh cured? haha im not sure but i need to pick some up tomorrow. just asking
thnks!
hope to scout out vedder for first time tmro!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:26 AM »

Spinner blades you are referring to Rodney.....are you talking Colorado blades? how exactly are these set up to fish with? as well as method of fishing with them?....drifted down river with any weight?...on a float?...sorry for such a newb question but I have never fished using these, nor fished the Vedder period, lol......YET! ;)

That is correct, Colorado blades. Actually, I use French blades, but most I've seen are using Colorados. The setup is pretty simple, the blade is rigged onto a split ring. The split ring is then rigged with two swivels, one for the leader and the other connected with another split ring for the hook. Another alternative, which I usually do, is to have the blade rigged on the wire like a normal inline spinner. Instead of adding additional spinner body below the blade, I just use either beads or add split rings.

As for how it is fished, I'll leave that for more experienced guys on the forum to answer because I rarely use it. Usually I like to cast upstream with it and retrieve the slack line as the float drifts down, letting the blade fluttering naturally.

mzmann

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »

That is correct, Colorado blades. Actually, I use French blades, but most I've seen are using Colorados. The setup is pretty simple, the blade is rigged onto a split ring. The split ring is then rigged with two swivels, one for the leader and the other connected with another split ring for the hook. Another alternative, which I usually do, is to have the blade rigged on the wire like a normal inline spinner. Instead of adding additional spinner body below the blade, I just use either beads or add split rings.

As for how it is fished, I'll leave that for more experienced guys on the forum to answer because I rarely use it. Usually I like to cast upstream with it and retrieve the slack line as the float drifts down, letting the blade fluttering naturally.

Cheers :)
Wishin I was fishin!! :)