Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHUM run  (Read 10156 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: CHUM run
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »

with the construction - first the new bridge, the improvements to the M_H bypass and now taking the old bridge down, the trail has been closed for some time.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

penguinabc123

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »

Actually I was there a few weeks ago and the trail starting from colony farms to the mouth is still open. At high tide there is not much room to fish mind you.

Suther

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

How long is the walk from colony farms?

Where would I park my car?

I am familiar with the area some-what, as I do live around here, but dont really spend any time around Colony Farms...

Also, that would put me on the west side of the river right? I would have to see it up close, but it seemed to me there is more room on the East side?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:00:48 AM by Suther »

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »

How long is the walk from colony farms?

Where would I park my car?

I am familiar with the area some-what, as I do live around here, but dont really spend any time around Colony Farms...

Then go down there and spend some time...

Come on, seriously...

Suther

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

I was on the East side of the river, walking along the boardwalk along the Fraser, just off Shaugnessey like two days ago. Thats when I got the idea of trying to forge a path through the bushes or just walk along the Bypass to the bridge...

I mean Im not familiar with Colony Farms so much, as I never have any reason (until now, perhaps?) to go in there. Used to ride my bike around there as a kid, but that was 15 years ago, not much use to me now.

Looking on Google Maps, I can see a small parking lot off Colony Farms Road, and a pathway that appears to lead from there to the west side of the river mouth. Is that correct? I am a fulltime student, with kids, and a job, I dont have a tonne of time to just go exploring, thats why I ask here. I figure why spend time exploring when I could be spending that time fishing...

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »

yes drive down Colony Park rd park in the parking lot.
The beach is small and the water is slow and quite shallow at the mouth, waders are recommended.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

Leader Bar is at Maquabeak Park (just west through the trees)  and there is lots of room to fish there. All the fish that pass the Coquitlam Mouth go past there. There is also some pretty fair water off Argue road just east of the Maryhill Bypass Coquitlam River Bridge. From there you can walk over the bridge to the trail to the river mouth. I used to work in Poco and fished some of these places fairly frequently. It's really not that great but worth a few hours for the outing. Colony Farms Park contains a mile or 2 of the lower Coquitlam River and I often walked or biked there. Never saw anyone fish there - tells you something.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Suther

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

I used to live right off the Coquitlam River when I was a kid - almost 20 years ago now.

We used to go to the river during salmon time, and catch them by hand. Just find a skinny deep flow to stand over, and wait. So there certainly USED to be lots of fish up this river, although I hear about no retention along the river in the freshwater, and think maybe the stocks are not what they used to be?

Im going to check out what I can get to from the path out of Colony Farms, and then later see about getting through the bushes from Argue Road to the opposite bank of the river. It looks like there is more space to stand on the East bank, but there doesnt seem to be any trails leading there.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »

Just a gentle reminder that the Squamish and it`s tributaries offer zero retention of chum salmon, it is strictly catch & release. However, there will be coho in the system as well, and you can keep one hatchery coho per day. Cheers!

Not much point in going to target hatch coho in the Squamish system, there aren't many.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »

I'm curious about fishing for chum in the tidal.  Particularly around Langley, if possible.  I've never tried this fishery, but now that I have a small boat, I'd love to be able to put in locally and give them a try.

Spoons?  Roe?  Trolling?  "plunking" from a boat with roe/spin glows and stay anchored?

Are the chum still pretty bright up this far?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »

I'm curious about fishing for chum in the tidal.  Particularly around Langley, if possible.  I've never tried this fishery, but now that I have a small boat, I'd love to be able to put in locally and give them a try.

Spoons?  Roe?  Trolling?  "plunking" from a boat with roe/spin glows and stay anchored?

Are the chum still pretty bright up this far?

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes you can get some clean chum in the langley area. Try twitching jigs, casting spoons or drifting jigs under a float.

Animal Chin

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »

I'm not sure if this is any help but I inadvertantly managed to land a few chum last year plunking with roe.  I was bar fishing with roe for coho in New West. It was crowded along the beach so I went to cast from another angle, trying to position my roe on the sand bar. I think I ended up just past the shallow bar a bit and was in deeper faster water just outside and landed 3 chum..but no coho.

oh.. I was using Pautzke's Fire Cure Red chum roe.

Prawn tip jigs under a float are my go to for chum but if that doesn't work because it's too deep, you may want to find a bar fishing spot and plunk just outside of the lineup..???
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:54:52 PM by Animal Chin »