Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeyed out!  (Read 8145 times)

Kenai Twitch

• I'm a llama!
Sockeyed out!
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:14:59 AM »

Hey gang,

Just got back from fishing in Alaska at our cabin and woo what a trip! Kenai River had a record return of 141,000 fish first day, 114,000 second day.......Needless to say scorecard equals 70 fish kept....bout 200 released (foul hooked), 2nd day 120 kept (a gazillion released). Dont think I could have asked a better run.....nothing like fighting a 12lb red on a 7 weight..........ohh and landed a 72lb King *golf clap*....took three of us just to get the net into the boat.  Yeah yeah I hear it now ....fish stories......Waiting on the digital pic's to be emailed down from Alaska then I will put em up:)

But back to business.......

How's the action around here? Got some friends (Texans) from work that I got into fishing last season on pinks. Anyone got a good guesstimate when either Reds or Pinks will be in full motion? Anything happening on the Squamish? Upppppper Fraser?

Thanks,

Kenai Twitch

Lol now time to head down to stillwater and have him replace the drags on my reels!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 08:16:13 AM by Kenai Twitch »

Dynamite kid

Re:Sockeyed out!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:19:42 AM »

You kept 190 fish in 2 days ,please explain.

Kenai Twitch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:26:49 AM »

Dipnet fishery

35 fish per head of household 10 fish each additional family member

Not sure if they do it here in Vancouver but you basically tie a landing net to the bow of your boat and troll downstream bouncing the net along the bottom until it shakes:) Riot when you get 4-5 sockeyes in the net at one time.

I'm still an Alaska resident due to my occupation working here in BC:)

Bankfishing

6 fish per day bag limit

On the bank with a flyrod it was fairly insane. You would roll one , miss it and roll right into another one. Pretty much guaranteed every cast was a hook up.

between my father and me .....well below our limits.

..Sustinance(spelling)  fishery

Give an idea of how hard this run hits the river.....here is the sockeye sonar counts from fish and game. On the 13th I remember constantly trashing water all day long hook up few and far between. Next morning different story:)

13-JUL-04  6,016  
14-JUL-04  114,106
15-JUL-04  138,212  
16-JUL-04  94,920  
17-JUL-04  48,378  
18-JUL-04  32,094  
19-JUL-04  20,657  
20-JUL-04  10,189  
21-JUL-04  30,484  
22-JUL-04  95,470  
23-JUL-04  29,246  
24-JUL-04  32,187  
25-JUL-04  34,719  

DK,

Hows the upper river fishing? Thinking about something next weekend.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 08:33:56 AM by Kenai Twitch »

Dynamite kid

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 09:11:37 AM »

KT,the socks are being hit hard by the commies and FN right now but by the weekend there should be a few.
After what you just explained about fishing in AK ,I think you would be disapointed in our fishery.

Kenai Twitch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:14:53 AM »

Nod,

I still want to get with ya for one them Sturgeon outings. Never caught one of them:)

Thanks for the honest info......

Kenai Twitch

Dynamite kid

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 09:55:50 AM »

KT,once the socks really show up The Big boys should be arriving with them,next week should be good.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:54:59 AM »

Kenai...I am still trying to imagine what one family can do with 170+ sockeye???  I kill 10+sockeye a year and top up with coho thu out the winter and I have more than enough salmon in the deep freeze and for the smoker.  Your family could eat salmon every other day for a year off of one 2 day outting.  

Like I said, I am just trying to wrap my head around it...but it sounds like utter gluttany to me!?!?  

I find it ironic too that you cant keep a snagged sockeye but you drag a dip net down the river from your boat!!!!!  

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:07:28 PM »

cupcakes!! You guys are being too nice! That is the most unsporting way of catching fish I've ever heard!!! I'
d be embarassed to make that post. On second thought, that must be BS. It can't be true. >:( >:(
Fish on!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

From what I've read on other forums what Kenai Twitch has described is true. Unfortunately, I forgot the link.

otto

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 07:12:02 AM »

ummm...not to get all the wolves after me but up in Alaska it is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT fishery than down here in the Lower Mainland..............dip netting from shore or a boat is a legal and normally acceptable way of catching fish up there and the limits are a lot different than down here due to less commercial (almost nonexistant on the river) and less recreational fishing.....(ie: you might see three people in a ten mile span.....)

so don't rag on a guy because he is keeping a bunch of fish that he is legally allowed to catch and keep........

for the record, a few years ago the limits up there were TRIPLE what they are now................

now excuse me while i man the parapets to fend off the slings and arrows..... 8)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 07:19:17 AM by otto »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 08:21:26 AM »

Otto is right, in that if the runs can support it and its classified as a FOOD fishery and not SPORT (which has and additional bag limit!!) then really we can't sling any mud at this guy...well unless those fish are going to waste.

Thats my issue....I cant imagine one guy's family going thru that much fish in one year (190 socs)!  Thats were I see a flaw and why I described it as apparrent gluntany.

Think of it this way too, the cap has 30,000 returning coho each year...with virtually zero spawning grounds, once the hatchery has there brood stock, why not allow the harvest of the rest?  with the number of socs spawning on that system, you must have reed ontop of reed and each subsiquant one digs up the last thus killing it.

I guess my position is that if the run can handle it and the food fish isnt wasted then fly at 'er....I still have a lot of trouble comprehending that fishery tho!

Kenai Twitch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 09:35:40 AM »

Gang,

To quote "I am still trying to imagine what one family can do with 170+ sockeye???  "

I don't even eat fish........Cant stand the taste of the smelly lil bastards. What I do every year is smoke about 50 and then vac seal the rest and bring it back. This year I came back with about 150 lbs of fillets and proceeded to give it to friends at work. Needless to say that the fish I slammed on the 15th I have maybe 3 fillets left in my deep freeze. 135 fish may be seem like a lot down here but its actually chump change when you look at the big picture.

Speakin of pictures lemme email my dirtbag buddy and get mine grrrrr.....

KT

otto

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 04:09:49 PM »

we wanna see fishy!!!!!!  ;D ;D

Kenai Twitch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 11:13:06 AM »

Finally go the pictures........

Can I just attach the pictures to the this message?

Or would someone be willing to upload them to the net if I send them to you via email? only 2 pictures

Thanks.......internet illiterate.

Kenai Twitch

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 11:22:39 AM »

Email me the photos Kenai, I'll post them tomorrow night.