Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Pink Run - Fraser River  (Read 8132 times)

redlad

2011 Pink Run - Fraser River
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »

I am sitting back thinking on the 2011 Pink Run and I can't help but feel something went wrong.  I ilke to fly fish the non tidal fraser in the Aggassiz area (both sides of the river).  I has some very good days, but also a couple of days where I worked pretty hard by Pink standards. W

What struck me the most was late in the season when I went to check out spots where pinks traditionally spawn in Fraser main stem and in side channels.  There was a fraction of the fish you would normally see.  In fact a fraction of the fish even from 4 years ago when it was a relatlively poor run.  I know the claim is there 17.5 million fish, but obviously not that many came through.  Has there been any changes to the numbers?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 2011 Pink Run - Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »

Wonder if the two week commercial opening at the mouth had anything to do it ? ???

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »

the seiners took way to many in my eye ! thanks Jimmy Pattison! >:(

redlad

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

That was my thought as well.  It just seems like way too much.  I am concerned about 2 years from now.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »

Well wasnt the numbers 17.x return, with 11 million going to commercial, and another 2 to FN? I dont know the exact numbers, but I know that there were nets, and it was slow! Out of about, id say 15-20 trips out, I had 3 with fishies. 2 Good days, lots of action, bites, and fights, and 1 with only a couple. Chalk it up to low numbers, inexperience and bad luck, id say it was a damn fine run! It wasnt nearly as insane as everyone made it out to be, my expectations where not met, and I had some of the best times of my life!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sinaran

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »

it is definitely way lesser fish than last run
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

jizza

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »

I had a solid two weeks of pink fishing. Limit out on every trip. And a spring to boot. The commercial fishery did slow things down; however, being at the right place at the right time was the key.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »

it is definitely way lesser fish than last run
Sad thing is we will never know what the Fraser pink salmon population (or for that matter any tributary stream) was in 2011 due to DFO funding constraints.  One hopes a recommendation of the multimilliondollar Cohen enquiry would be to fund stock assessments for all salmonids.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »

That was my thought as well.  It just seems like way too much.  I am concerned about 2 years from now.

They probably nailed a very high percentage of females in the last 2 weeks.

I too hope it doesn't cause problems 2 years from now.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »

deffinatly wasnt as good of a run this year, and i noticed on the vedder alot less females then previous years, previous years i found about 1/4 they were females but this year maybe 1 out of every 12 were females. hopefully this isnt the end of the epic fraser pink runs...
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

shakespug

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »

I had the worst pink run year this year...2 for 20  :'(

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »

deffinatly wasnt as good of a run this year, and i noticed on the vedder alot less females then previous years, previous years i found about 1/4 they were females but this year maybe 1 out of every 12 were females.

Really? Thats interesting, I have not noticed skewed ratios at all. From the Squamish to the Fraser to the Vedder, all the pinks I have hooked have been about equal numbers males to females, or probably actually closer to 60% does, if anything...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »

Really? Thats interesting, I have not noticed skewed ratios at all. From the Squamish to the Fraser to the Vedder, all the pinks I have hooked have been about equal numbers males to females, or probably actually closer to 60% does, if anything...

The majority of mine were females as well, especially the earlier fish.  I did catch a few males near the end of September.
Not all those who wander are lost

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »

Think once they're in there and getting stale the males are just more aggressive, most of the fresh ones I was getting moving through in the canal were does, most of the incidental catch looking for coho with roe were males.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »

well now that i think about it there was a lota does swimming by just not stopping while the males like mentioned bit more, the does just kinda bumped things instead of biting. and no these were decent pinks not really humped males
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.