Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mamquam this Saturday  (Read 1661 times)

andrew5

mamquam this Saturday
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »

Hi All,

As I jsut started back into fishing this fall, I am still fairly green when it comes to knowing what runs ar dong well at certain times of the year.

With the Olympics over, they have left me with the urge to escape to somewhere relatively close to the lower mainland, but far enough away form the busy city.

I am thinking about going up to squamish to try for some cuthhroat and bulls.

How would the Mamquam be this time of year (keep in mind, no rain in the forcast from now until Saturday, and sunny on Sat).

I am also wondering withthe warm winter, how this might affect my game plan... should I be sticking to eggs and salmon flesh imitations still, or should I be trying some salmon fry imitations?

Other suggestions for destinations are greatly appreciated. I was thinking about going into Maning, but if i am not mistaken, the Skagit and its tributaries are closed until late spring, aren't they?

Thanks in advance

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: mamquam this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »

Hit all three-The Mamquam, the mainstream Squamish and the Cheakamus.  8)

andrew5

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:26 PM »

Hit all three-The Mamquam, the mainstream Squamish and the Cheakamus.  8)

any idea on what kind of flies/spoons to be using this time of year. will the fry be out or is it still eggs and flesh?  do streamers work for trout and dollys?

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:20:48 AM »

Last weekend I fished the Mamquam and Lower Cheakmus.  In the mamquam I saw lots of salmon carcass with flesh still attached.  I caught a nice little bull on a fleshy looking fly (mamquam).   I also noticed some small fish fry lurking about and my buddy got one on a small croc (cheakmus).  These aren't the most discriminating fish so you should have a good chance with anything.  I saw one other angler who was using a muddler minnow and claimed to have caught a few that day as well.  Remember: Bait Ban so no eggs.  Good luck and tight lines!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567