Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taking a break  (Read 3815 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Taking a break
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:37:51 PM »

Well I have decided to do a little less fishing and putting some volunteer hours in at Bell Irving Hatchery. As alot of you know some of the hatchery are being helped out by volunteers. We had done some brood stock capture last week so today was the day for egg collection. We where able to do 12 pairs. Here are the females hanging to bleed and dry off.

Once they where ready it was time to collect the eggs into buckets making sure not to get any blood or water into the eggs as that would spoil the batch.

Next it was time for the males to do their thing. Again making sure that nothing gets into the cups but the milt.

. It was amazing how quickly these eggs are fertilized. A gentle mix then add water and within a minute the eggs are fertilized.

Then it was time for a gentle rinse.

Then into a disinfectant bath then off to the incubator. It sure was a great way to spend a morning.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
Re: Taking a break
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

cool, I always wanted to do that

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »

nice pics
I just sent ya 3 more as your mailbox was full  ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »

never been in a fish trap before but it was fun!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »

nice pics
I just sent ya 3 more as your mailbox was full  ;D

Yup got them thanks leadbelly. Hopefully see you there again.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BooBooBear

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »

???

Fly_Guy, how do you find out about volunteering for these type of activities with the various hatcheries...?  I sent an email to the seymour salmon hatchery for any up-coming dates for volunteer programs... More good folks that fish the rivers should be trying to give back to help keep them healthy and hoping for good returns on the runs...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 01:51:13 AM »

Volunteer information at Bell-Irving Hatchery can be obtained from this thread:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7690.0

I sent an email to the seymour salmon hatchery for any up-coming dates for volunteer programs...

Did Matt reply to you regarding adding you to the volunteer email list? This is the volunteer email address for Seymour Salmon Hatchery in case anyone else is interested: volunteering@seymoursalmon.com

Another good group for volunteer in Maple Ridge is: http://www.alouetteriver.org

Langley Environmental Partners Society: http://www.leps.bc.ca

Stoney Creek Environment Committee: http://www.vcn.bc.ca/stoney

Semiahmoo Fish And Game Club (Little Campbell Hatchery): http://www.sfgc.ca

Pacific Streamkeepers: http://www.pskf.ca

BooBooBear

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 02:00:29 AM »

;D  Thanks Rodney - now I have lots of links to monitor.  I sent the email this afternoon but did not get a reply yet.  Hope to get out to some of these events - figure it would also be a great way to network with experienced fisherman and share tips and secret fishing holes...:P

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:24:38 AM »

;D  Thanks Rodney - now I have lots of links to monitor.  I sent the email this afternoon but did not get a reply yet.  Hope to get out to some of these events - figure it would also be a great way to network with experienced fisherman and share tips and secret fishing holes...:P

to do that the best way I found is the river clean ups, I don't fish the Vedder but I found all kinds of new runs to fish and all kinds of information from many anglers when I did that.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »

Good job Jeff.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

FishingBeautifulBC

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:05:30 AM »

Wow great pictures.   Thanks for sharing them.  Looks like a great learning experience.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Information on the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition can be found at http://www.cleanrivers.ca

The coalition hosts three group cleanups per year on the Vedder River - April, July and September.

Here's another one for people around West/North Vancouver:

West Van & Bowen Island annual chum egg-take at Tenderfoot Hatchery (Squamish) on Saturday - November 15th at 10AM.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »

And another:

Maple Creek Watershed Streamkeepers Seek Volunteers

The Maple Creek Watershed Streamkeepers (MCWS) are looking for volunteers to help with their Salmon Enhancement Program. We are a local non-profit organization committed to restoring degraded habitat, conserving and protecting the salmon in Maple Creek and the Coquitlam River, providing education to community and elected officials, and promoting community involvement with this work.

The MCWS, in partnership with DFO and the Cities of Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam, team up with other watershed groups, Girl Guides and Scouts Canada groups, local schools and businesses to restore the riparian area and in-stream habitat. This time of year we see the benefits to salmon from these works as adult salmon are slowly beginning to enter the creek after their time in the ocean.

The past two weeks we have been busy ensuring there are no blockages in the stream preventing salmon from reaching the few spawning areas.

Fish count 2008
coho, juvenile, thousands
chum, adult, 2
3-spine stickleback, adults, hundreds

Right now, we can use your help. Other local Streamkeeper groups need help as well.

Collectively we are all making a positive difference for salmon in the wild. Our efforts, along with Fisheries and Oceans Canada Salmon Enhancement Program staff and other committed agencies and individuals are the difference between having salmon long-term in our urban streams and them being completely extirpated.

Salmon are facing an unprecedented challenge with increasing impacts from global climate change, local watershed development and loss of unique gene pools with their evolutionally adaptation that have helped protect them from extinction in the past.

Everyone is invited to contribute what time they can to do what they feel most comfortable doing to help salmon. From walking your dog every day in the Dogs for Salmon Program to committing one morning a month to help make a difference.

To volunteer please call the Maple Creek Watershed Streamkeepers at 604 317 2974 or contact the Pacific Streamkeepers Federation at 604 986 5059 to find out how to contact your local watershed group.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »

I guess every group is obviously doing spawning at the same time so emails just keep flooding the inbox with requests. Here's another, from Seymour Hatchery:

Hello all,

On November 3rd we'll be going to the Alouette for our last chum egg take of the season. There is room for 1 or 2 more in the hatchery truck or you can drive yourself out there. The hatchery is located near Dewdney Trunk and 248th in Maple Ridge.

Like before we'll meet at the truck on the North Shore at 8 am, we'll be done on the Alouette around 12 pm, back on the North Shore around 1:30 pm, and done at the Seymour Hatchery around 4 pm.

The number of fish out there is staggering! You'll be able to see exactly what someone means when they say "you could walk across the river on their backs."

Thanks!

Matt

--
Please leave e-mail subject and quoted text intact.

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
volunteering@seymoursalmon.com
604 288 0511