Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing at Ambleside or Furry creek?  (Read 7620 times)

Tuckster

Fishing at Ambleside or Furry creek?
« on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »

Calling on the advice from anyone willing to give it.

Where do you think is the better option right now, Furry Creek or Ambleside? Had some minor success for pinks at the mouth of the Mamquam last week, but looking for something different....and possibly closer to Van.

Any numbers of Coho or pink being caught at Ambleside right now? I hear things are pretty good at Furry Creek for Pinks.

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing at Ambleside or Furry creek?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

Best advise I would say is , go explore and see for yourself  ;) , head  to Ambleside . And if its not producing head back up the upper levels and check Furry Creek . What the heck  :P if its not so good , head up to Squamish . Why not make a day of it  ;D . Remember , give a report when you get back . I can't wait  :) .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »

there should be a few fish still puttering about but I would bet the bulk of the pinks will just be steaming by FC on their way to the river. The clarity is probably the reason you had minimal success on the Squamish/Mamquam systems. If that was your first trip try going again, pay very close attention to where the fish porpoise and/or how far out people are hooking up. This should be the fishes travel lane, fish in the vicinity of that and you should get into fish easily, maybe not tons but you'll get into fish. Clarity is bad you need to almost hit them with it, also if pink isn't working try a bright green

chartreuse shows up well in that gray silty water
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

chronicfisher

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »

I dunno if I should be posting this but been going to furry creek whenever I had a day off. Probably have put in 6 days of fishing in 2 and a half Weeks.out of the 6 days I went 5 of the days I was skunked out but ppl were catching fish around me.finally on day 6 was able to hook into and land them.heads up furry creek is busy tho and the fishing has been good for some and better for others.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:51 PM »

Best advise I would say is , go explore and see for yourself  ;) , head  to Ambleside . And if its not producing head back up the upper levels and check Furry Creek . What the heck  :P if its not so good , head up to Squamish . Why not make a day of it  ;D . Remember , give a report when you get back . I can't wait  :) .

Honest and wholesome piece of advice. Anything else would be sheer internet speculation.

Someone might tell you: "Head to Furry Creek, it's on fire!", yet when you get there, you find that it is dead dead dead. Fishing changes by the hour, so any advice on location is uncertain at best.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

Honest and wholesome piece of advice. Anything else would be sheer internet speculation.

Someone might tell you: "Head to Furry Creek, it's on fire!", yet when you get there, you find that it is dead dead dead. Fishing changes by the hour, so any advice on location is uncertain at best.

Head to Furry Creek, it's on fire, fire, fire!  ;D :P
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »

True Milo and yes a lot of mine may be speculation however these have been my observations over the last few cycles of pinks in that area. I believe it to be fairly accurate when it comes to run timing and the expectation of what you may possibly encounter. Who knows you could go there and have a banner day

I think my best day at FC has been a dozen fish to hand with a few lost. The day that happened my friends and I were the ones on fire while a lot of people just watched. We gave our spots up to other guys, I think we may have given them flies also when we decided to leave. FC can be very very hit and miss, it can be that your standing 10 feet to the wrong rock to stand on, it can be that your fly is to big/small and the fish wont touch it.................many reasons and some days it seems like all them together  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

1son

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »

Just remember to check the tides timing is key a school of fish can push thru and be gone very quickly so be prepared.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »

timing is key a school of fish can push thru and be gone very quickly.

This. Generally, they come and go in schools. If you put in the time you should get into fish (though it's never a guarantee). Look for porpoising fish and cast towards them.

Fishing Ambleside will give you a better chance at coho, in addition to pinks. There are other locations, along Burrard Inlet, between Ambleside and Indian Arm that you can try. Furry Creek has nice scenery but is a bit more of a drive...

As suggested, making a day of it can teach you a lot. For example, I was fishing next to a guy and his buddy. The three of us were using the EXACT SAME RIG. In an hour and a half he landed 5 fish, I was into 2, and his buddy didn't even have a sniff. We were all using a similar technique, but a slight variation thereof was key to his success, according to him.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

Depth and retrieve speed make a big difference especially for something like a buzzbomb.

The buzzbomb needs to swim just right to have the right action for the fish to be interested.