Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing dog  (Read 7654 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing dog
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »

;D Especially dead fish scents. Then they eat out the gills and then barf in the back of your truck!  ;)

dave c

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:01 PM »

I have 2 dogs i occasionally bring fishing with me.  A four yr old yellow lab and a 3yr old black lab/ mastiff cross.  Both are well behaved follow their noses and generally stay out of trouble with the exception of the time the yellow lab made off with two bologna sanwiches a couple older gents left on the beach in an open backpack. Offered to pay them but they just laughed it off.  That being said when spawned out fish are rotting on the beach the dogs stay at home.  They love to roll in that stench and its next to impossible to get that stink out.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »

... I have to say that I like his company better than most people I know. 8)

You and me both Partner!  ;)

... I would suggest you get a pup and take him to the river when he's small , no matter what breed, then he'll get to love the water.

Strongly agree. Most dogs, if exposed to water (or damn near anything else you need them to be) at a Very Early Age, will take to it readily, eagerly, and remember it positively.

Here's Boogs out for his first swim, Ice Cold River. Struck out with Abandon, but returned with a somewhat different mindset after he hit the current:

LOL! He obviously overcame that, and now is the Only "Dog" I've ever lived with that can actually out-swim me.

... They love to roll in that stench and its next to impossible to get that stink out.

Doggy Perfume!  ;)  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

ratfish

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

The only advice I have is if you do get a dog don't buy one of those sticks that hold a tennis ball for the dog park. I did and evertime I take my dog fishing she thinks the my rod is the plastick stick and my lure is the ball lol!!!

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »

Get a chocolate,black,or yellow lab..I just got another chocolate lab after having to put my last chocolate Thompson down last summer.Thompson was the best fishing dog ever and now Finn is turning into a great fishing dog as well.They can go anywhere you can and more.Finn is only 5 1/2 months and already goes where ever I go and swims across anywhere I wade.When I am fishing he sits at my feet and watches my float with me  :D :DHe has seen the float go down many times this year.I think he loves steelhead as much as I do lol

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

fish fishburn

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »

I think a Chesapeak or a big Newfie Retriever would be nice. I watched a pair of Newfies swim down a river with their owner and the dogs were amazing how they kept close to her  incase she got in trouble... it seemed.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »

Everytime I've taken my Golden to the river, he thinks my float is his ball...and we're playing fetch

Same, but it was our fault. Took our border collie fishing with the fam at a local pond and he was nipping at the red and white bobber so we had fun casting it out and having him chase it on the retrieve, reeling in while trying to have the bobber evade his snapping jaws. It was all fun and games until he finally caught it, crunched it and the bobber no longer "bobbed" :)  Our next effort has to put a screw into a tennis ball, tie the screw to the end of the mainline of my drift rod and have him chase that in the water. Great fun

That being said when spawned out fish are rotting on the beach the dogs stay at home.  They love to roll in that stench and its next to impossible to get that stink out.
You got that right, learned that the hard way. Had our collie off leash along a local salmon spawning stream and he revelled in rolling in the chum carcasses. After a shampoo he still stunk! Now he stays on leash during the late fall on these walks.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 08:23:53 AM »

I had a Jack Russell Cross.  He was the coolest frikken dog ever.  Yea, he'd get excited and sometimes piss me off, but he was soooo happy to go fishing it was a joy to watch him.  I'd tell him we were going fishing in the morning and he knew it when we woke up it was time to go.  You could read the expression on his face.  THe nice thing about this type of dog was his size.  He was 30 lbs, so a fair bit bigger than the smaller jack russels you see.  Plus he was super agile, so if we were hiking into the canyon or over boulders etc. this dog could handle it no problem.  Now I have a duck toller.  She's a super water dog, the only problem is she wants to be in the water a lot so sometimes she is spooking fish.  This dog is only 34 lbs.
My advice would be, get a dog that has some energy.  It's fun to watch them get all frieked out, then you bring them home and they are good and tired for a few days.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

YetiHunter

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »

I have a wirehaired pointer who loves fishing - not as much as bird hunting, but almost. He is a pleasure on the river or in a boat. Watches for fish all day long, just staring at the water.

Nice thing about wirehairs is they don't shed. I love labs, but they seem to have 2 shedding seasons....heavy and out of control.

akasha

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

My rotties most favorite thing in the world is going fishing. She is an excellent fishing dog.

Tommybuckles

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

My Rhodesian ridgeback loves both hiking and fishing. A good dog for it because she is able to walk a long distance but is calm enough to sit down once you get there