Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smells & sounds in Richmond BC  (Read 7645 times)

arimaBOATER

Smells & sounds in Richmond BC
« on: November 23, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »

Maybe some of you fishing the shores of the lower Fraser R around Richmond have experienced some unique smells & sounds lately.

In Richmond on some days & nights depending which way the wind is blowing there is a foul strong "smells".
It smells like if a neighbour put manure in their flower garden ( or all over their yard ) .

As for "sounds" ; lately heard like 6-8 loud bangs.
Thought it was firecrackers but it is shot guns blasting away.

Smells = are coming from a waste recycle plant. It is the dumping area for the compose /tree & grass cuttings/ food wastes that are being picked up curb side weekly.
As all this stuff rots it is producing a really foul order that many Richmond folks are noticing.

Sounds = Bird hunters blasting away at the Canada goose / ducks & possibly some natives also shooting the snow geese.
99% think natives are allowed to kill snow geese.

Som are calling for a thinning of the snow geese population as many are saying the geese are too populated at the moment & leaving dung on school yards etc..

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Smells & sounds in Richmond BC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »

Not sure what you're trying to get at here.
There is a 10 bird daily bag for snows in the lower mainland right now and a
daily limit of 5 in the rest of region 2.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »

After reading your post "I'm also wondering what I'm getting at ?"

Not a bird hunter as I just could not pull the trigger on a bird.
But sure will eat a nice cooked one.

Thought ( assumed ) I read some article in our freebie newspaper a few years ago about some bird that migrates to the Richmond area as they fly either north or south & that their numbers were low thus they were protected.
If I remember correctly in that article the " whatever bird it was " migrates " to a northern lake.
My mistake as I thought the bird was this snow goose.
White coloured bird with black wing tips.

Live & learn as thy say.

As for the bad " smells " seems to be bad only during evening hrs on some nights.

kid fisherman

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »

First off the bad smell is from the harvest energy groups bio gas plant.  They take garden waste and turn it into a fuel sorce, it cool to see. And the bangs are probobly from the hunting that is going on like you said. The only thing is the snow geese are open now for all groups not just natives.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »

There is a gun range on Sidaway or close by, I hear it year round.
I'm sure the smells are coming from the Triangle area.
I guess it needs to be done somewhere, and it’s mostly agricultural in that area.

Sam6140

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:09:08 AM »

Not sure what you're trying to get at here.
There is a 10 bird daily bag for snows in the lower mainland right now and a
daily limit of 5 in the rest of region 2.

Sorry, but I have to chime in here.  My opinion, but regardless, who cares what the limit is on any bird or animal.  Doesn't mean it's ok to kill a single one!  Human beings as a species are so self-absorbed, that's it unreal.  We are overpopulating, yes perhaps.  But you don't see a "limit" or a free hunt on us?  I know it sounds ridiculous.   But reverse the situation and give it a thought.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:17:08 AM by Rodney »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »

Sorry, but I have to chime in here.  My opinion, but regardless, who cares what the limit is on any bird or animal.  Doesn't mean it's ok to kill a single one!  Human beings as a species are so self-absorbed, that's it unreal.  We are overpopulating, yes perhaps.  But you don't see a "limit" or a free hunt on us?  I know it sounds ridiculous.   But reverse the situation and give it a thought.
The entire existence of predatory animals are what says its ok. Its a part of nature, deal with it. Now within our society, we have rules, and limits, which we abide by to try to ensure the survival of what we are hunting. If you do not wish to take part in something we have done for thousands of years, no one will stomp their feet and whine about it, yet you feel the right to complain when others who are within their rights choose to do so. Go start a petition, or mail your local MP, dont crap on folks on a fishing forum. You have the right to your opinion, but you tactlessly threw it in everyones faces simply because you were compelled to let everyone know how self absorbed we are. Classy.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

gman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »

Juast adding a bit to this.

The smells from the recyle plant are a new thing. Recycling the green waste is a few years old in Richmond, but just recently kicked in in Surrey. The Surrey green waste now comes to that Richmond site too. So that site may be a bt overwhelmed, or need to get better procedures to limit the smell. Hopefully they manage better and limit the smell more in future.

The shotgun blasts have been aorund forever. I live in Steveston and hear the shotguns from the Ladner marsh area very clearly in the fall. Too me this is part of the sounds of being close to the river, along with the ship horns when  it is foggy, or the sounds of the geese flying over. There are lots of geese, especailly snow geese - more than I can ever remember in my 40 something years living here. Its great if someone can enjoy hunting them, eat them, and reduce the overpopulation a bit. They are relly making a mess of the school fields in recent years.

Nowadays most hunters use a boat to get to the legal duck and goose hunting areas - mostly the marsh are between Steveston and Ladner. I remember when hunters would just walk into the marsh off the west dyke to set up and hunt, or walk out to shady island,  but thats not open anymore. I have seen the odd hunter in fields in east richmond.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »

And I bet all the meat you eat comes nicely wrapped in plastic on a shelf that way you dont have to think of the brutal life and horrible ending that animal had.  At least I know where my meat comes from...

brownmancheng

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »

Is it ok to kill fish? Poor indefensible fishies???
O Nooooo .....    NEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

Actually clown fish (Nemo fish) have been overharvested because of that movie and are facing regional extinctions. 

buzzbomb

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

Snow goose limits were raised all over years ago because up north in their nesting grounds they became overpopulated and were eating all the groundcover so they were in danger of starving.  So we had to kill more of them in order to save them, and it worked.  Strange but true.
5% Alc./Vol.

brownmancheng

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »

Actually clown fish (Nemo fish) have been overharvested because of that movie and are facing regional extinctions. 

They are not that funny anyways

In fact, Clownfish are no more humorous than any other species. It's a common misconception that has lead to this unfortunate stereotype they have to deal with every day of their lives. 

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

It was communicated to me that the snow geese were protected here in Richmond thus thought they were protected everywhere.
The truth of the matter the birds are protected only because people are not allowed to shoot them in Richmond.
Too populated thus the danger someone may get shot plus shot guns make loud bangs ( noise pollution )

Do remember doing a slow cruise on the Fraser R in our boat over by Westham Is area & to my big surprise went past two guys with shot guns who were on a rock jetty.
Must of been only 15 ft from them & yep never seen them.
2 minutes later BANG BANG BANG.
Nearly  jumped out of the boat as I got spooked so badly.

Trumpeter swans eagles buffalo etc were nearly killed off so it's nice they have made a good recovery.
Snow geese are over populated so they should be thinned out.

As mentioned in earlier posts they create problems in our grassy fields at parks & fields.

Birds tend to mate for life so I'm not about to make widow birds   ;D

Hey if the Good Lord in the gospels told the apostles to drop their fish nets at that location & the nets got full , then that tells me God gave the birdies moose deer fish on the earth so we could kill & eat them.

I will not hunt myself but am not against hunting.
What really bugs me are some who go nuts & shoot anything that moves in the woods or ponds etc only for the sake for target practise.
News reports of 100's of birds killed / wounded by such types. BOO !!!!

Electroman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 06:20:40 PM »

Too populated thus the danger someone may get shot plus shot guns make loud bangs ( noise pollution )

Haha and an international airport is not?

If there is an open season and I carry all the proper licenses (migratory bird, Fraser valley special area, etc) as well as follow all applicable regs including distances off dykes and roads then I have the right to hunt. Snow geese, canada geese, brant, mallards, teal, widgeon, etc are not protected and have open seasons.
I like my free range organic meat that does not live life penned up.