Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum flies  (Read 12141 times)

RG

Chum flies
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »

Just wondering which flies are good for chums?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Chum flies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »

my fav chum fly is a leech style fly, size 4 with a bead head and green body with a purple tail, or all green, pink works to.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »

Based on jigs that work well, I would go with pink & purple.

mistermongz

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »

Based on jigs that work well, I would go with pink & purple.

+1 anything mix pink and purple with some flash
Fish on!!!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »

A white marabou leech pattern works well too as does the old muddler which allows you to go after coho and chum at the same time.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:05 AM »

if your after just chum then nothing will beat a pink/purple combo. tie some decently large and some smaller of the same pattern(s) I just use a wooly bugger style fly personally, fast and easy to tie and when they destroy it i dont care

now if im trying to avoid chum then i use muddlers in natural, olive, blue, chartruese and orange for some reason they dont go for them all that often but coho sure will  ;) I have watched coho hiding amongst the chum dart out and take my fly which is wicked cool
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Tee

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »

Christmas tree works as well for chum.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »

Hot pink rabbit or marabour, chartreuse same materials  large Mickey Finns with Florescent yellow hair, bead headed olive wooly buggers have all worked for me. Hot flame polar shrimp style patterns worked great on the Chilliwack years ago but I don't fish them much anymore.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »

now if im trying to avoid chum then i use muddlers in natural, olive, blue, chartruese and orange for some reason they dont go for them all that often but coho sure will  ;) I have watched coho hiding amongst the chum dart out and take my fly which is wicked cool

Really?  That is definitely not my experience, as I catch chum on natural muddlers all the time in the Stave and Nicomen systems and usually in equal or greater numbers as the coho.  If I am not getting many bites of either I will switch to pink patterns as the chum definitely like those, or the olive or orange patterns to search specifically for coho.
Not all those who wander are lost

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:45 AM »

The rolled muddler is a great all around fly and it works for coho, springs, and yes...chum (in my experience).  It's one of my favorite coho flies, but I've had problems trying to keep springs off it as well (I usually just end up losing the fly).  As for chum, I like to use "stinger" leeches (trailing hook), and have had great success with purple flash flies.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:32 AM »

for the slough try tying a natural muddler with a hot orange bead or a flat out orange muddler, you might be pleasantly surprised  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »

Can't wait for doggies to show up in good numbers! Got a coloured up doe so far this year, bring on the chromers!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »

Can't wait for doggies to show up in good numbers! Got a coloured up doe so far this year, bring on the chromers!

The "Halloween Special" won't disappoint you in cloudy water:

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »

Nice, am looking forward to trying to get them on the dead drift with the 9/10 spey rod.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »

Chartreuse flies catch all the chromers on the Squamish and Vedder. The biters always rise up to eat a fly. Line Presentation is key,keep your flly above them. but near the bottom. If you use too heavy a tip then its gonna be snag chum city. Fresher fish I've found will go for a brighter/ flashier fly.  The half dead zombies will still bite, wierd.
It ain't the roe bro'