Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Fly Reel  (Read 9804 times)

newflyguy

New Fly Reel
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »

So I was given a reel annnnnd i don't like it.  So I'm looking for opinions.  I'm wondering if you can get a good 1 for under $100 and which 1. Or maybe someone has something they would like to part with (for $ of course) to a young budding fly fisher.  OK so I'm not young but budding none the less.

fishfulthinkin

Re: New Fly Reel
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »

what are you generally looking to fish for? and what weight of rod are you looking to match it with?
there's plenty of decent reels (more so in the lighter weights) for around the $100 mark, especially if your going for a used one.

newflyguy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »

its a 6wt rod. and I'll be mostly going for trout. cutties and rainbow to start with anyway

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »

I would suggest a Pflueger Trion 1956 or 1978.

A 1956 is their 5 or 6 weight reel, but I find the don't leave a ton of room for backing. A lot of people will go with the next size up, in this case 1978

Great bang for the buck reel. Aluminum, disk drag and looks nice.

If you watch ebay they can be had brand new in the box  for $100 or sometimes a little less

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:22 AM »

If its just for trout I would buy something that has a cartridge system. Like the Greys GRXi. It comes with a total of 4 cartridges and is sold for $100. You wont need a freight train stopping drag system so its more of a line holder. With the cartridges atleast you can have a bunch of different lines ready to be fished very quickly with little work.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »

good advice given but it would be interesting to know what you don't like about the reel you have? Which reel is it? Fly reel are generally more or less the same and any competently put together reel will fit the bill unless it's too small or too large.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »

Same question RalphH asked...whats wrong with your reel?

Also keep in mind you can buy a brand new properly balanced rod and reel combo on sale for around $100.

If the line on the reel is old ditch it and buy some new line.  Cheap and crappy line makes the rod and reel feel crappy.

Bring your rod and reel into a shop and see what they have to suggest as well.

fishgutz63

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

like bb2000 says its  a good bang for your buck ,but i would also look into 5/6 weight amundson txs series at army/navy very reasonably priced  :)

newflyguy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »

good advice given but it would be interesting to know what you don't like about the reel you have? Which reel is it? Fly reel are generally more or less the same and any competently put together reel will fit the bill unless it's too small or too large.

The reel I currently have is an Amundsen.  It came with the rod.  I like the rod.  The reel, well its too small.  When I loaded the line that came with it, no matter how careful I spooled it the line would catch on the reel and scrape and damage the line.  and forget about any backing.  I decided to add some backing and cut the fly line from the back thinking that I'd rather have a few extra yards of backing rather than extra fly line that I can't cast anyway.  By the time AI had finally cut enough off (took me 3 tries to finally get the line to fit, good nail knot practice) I had maybe 50 feet of fly line left. Now my casting is getting better and I'm seeing and now have to go and get some better line and dam it if I'm gonna spend 50-60 bucks, I wanna use every inch of it!!!!

Any other suggestions?

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »

it came paired with the rod? 6 weight reel with full of fly line, no room for backing? wow.. that is a tiny reel.
I got a GLoomis Venture 7 reel for sale on the classified board here if you're interested. already loaded with lots of backing
on it. plenty of room for a line left. got a nice reel scream to it

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »

You cut off 50 feet of fly line??? That line is useless now unless you cut it for a tip. I cant see how any 6wt reel would not fit a standard 6wt line with some backing. Something is odd here. An Amundson reel should fine for the applications you have described. Maybe post some photos of it with the line so we could see.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »

--was thinking same thing about the line almost sounds like a skagit or other specialyt line rather than regular line on the reel or backing line is to thick?
--I have found amundson reels do not hold as much as expected given the size rating given on the reel and some have a fairly sharp edge on the cross brace... but are good value given the price.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »

it does sound a little off to me as well. To bad it wasnt a 4wt rod becuase i have a spare almost new line just sitting here not being fished that i am willing to give away to someone deserving  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

newflyguy

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »

You cut off 50 feet of fly line??? That line is useless now unless you cut it for a tip. I cant see how any 6wt reel would not fit a standard 6wt line with some backing. Something is odd here. An Amundson reel should fine for the applications you have described. Maybe post some photos of it with the line so we could see.

That what I was thinking.  I'll try and post some pics when I get home.  I went online and checked out the suggestions.  I'm starting to lean toward the Greys.  Anybody know who might carry them so I can go and get a feel for it.  Dont want the same mistake made, especially if I'm paying reel (I did that on purpose) money.  And now I wish I had a 4wt rod so I could take Hook up on his reel.  I thing I'm worthy, plus I have cool stuff to trade - lol.

newflyguy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »

So upon further review - the reel is in fact a 4,5,6.  But the line that came with it when compaired to my new RIO 6wt line is quite a bit thicker.  ARMUNDSON!!!!!! Oh well - it was a gift but now having looked at some new reels, on line anyway, I think I'll still get a new 1.  LOL, I'm becoming a junky!!