Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River, November 4th - 7th 2013: First Steelhead Of The Season  (Read 6297 times)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Thompson River, November 4th - 7th 2013: First Steelhead Of The Season
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »

Hey you guys are not against all the nets in the fraser they kill hundreds..yet you guys are fighting with fishermen?Think about it
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:07:26 AM by dead head »

bcguy

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »

Hey you guys are not against all the nets in the fraser they kill hundreds..yet you guys are fighting with fishermen?Think about it

Yes, probably a bigger cause of mortality than a few fisherman.
Just small though on this, but doesn't catching a fish on the fly or gear etc all end with the same result..you are catching and releasing the fish, banning one method over the other doesn't seem to do much except create greater division in an already fractured community. :P
Its not the method, but the individual at the other end of the line that makes the choices and difference.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Carich980

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

Is there any other reasons for the bait ban?

I heard it was due to hooking into a fish that took the bait to deep? Is that true? What would be other reasons?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »

Most of the guys pushing a bait ban falsely believe that bait fisherman are gut hooking too many....The other reason which has some credibility is the fact that there is a greater chance of repeat captures with bait...I can see the point of banning bait because of repeatedly hooked fish...but lets be honest, the thompson has probably 3-1 spey to gear guy ratio...a lot of those spey guys are up there all season pounding on the same fish over and over...the end result is probably almost an equal share of fish hooked between the methods and there will be mortality from both. From what Ive seen up there this year, the numbers are way down even from recent years and the river probably shouldn't even be open. Im fine with having a bait ban, not because its going to in the end help the fish but maybe once the issue is dead and gone people can actually come together and help these fish.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »

Banning bait, will not help these fish. Nor will it diminish the pressure on the flow. Bait guys will just switch to artificials, metal or flys. No matter what the method, the fish are getting pin cushioned. Ban the fisherman, this will help what is left of this once magnificent run of legendary Thompson steelhead, by leaving the fish unmolested to spawn in their home rivers. Yes, it is sad that the town of Spences Bridge looks like a western ghost town and the run may never recover to the "glory days". But that is the reality of the current situation. Lets protect whats left of these awesome creatures... :'(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »

Latest estimate of the run I was given by the Kamloops bio office is 1200 which is an improvement over the last year or so. Not sure the number taken in the test fishery to date, must check.

Having the eyes and ears on the river does help keep poaching down in my mind as well as the River Guardians which do a good job keeping tabs on things. Also FOC and the CO officers were on the ground when I was there.

I might take the liberty of saying having it open to fishing be it both gear or fly certainly will not be the factor that will lead to the end of this magnificent fish. Giving people and groups like the BC Steelhead Society the opportunity to fish the Thompson keeps them interested in projects that will help this fish recover for future anglers to enjoy the beauty of these fish as well as what the fall season brings to this area.

Of course on any subject people all have different options and we should respect what they wish to say, that is what a forum like this is for.

Carich980

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »

If they are banning bait due to concerns about deep hooking too many fish then shouldnt they also extend the ban and address the concern about large intruder flies with a trailer hook? Trailer hooks also have the same potential to Deep hook fish too.

Ive also heard of spey guys claim that with Steelhead they find the trailer hooks embedded in the outside of the face/jaws/eyes of the fish which to me would be more damaging then a deep hook set. They claim this is due to the fish smashing the fly to injure it as this is what predatory fish do to bait fish.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »

Hey had a great day on this flow but whats the deal with the lamprey? Caught one.Was ugly and thought I should dispose of it but unsure about c n r rules.anyone know?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »

--how about a ban on people that know how to fish... no licence required just... people that don't know how to fish ... there would be lots of new friends of the river... anyone that actually hooks a fish should be banned for life.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »

Any actual studies done on this regulation proposal or are the words of the holier than thou feather whippers and the Simms poster boys enough? It's a band-aid fix so DFO and MoE appear to be caring while trying to better the fishery. If they truely cared the nets would be out of the Fraser and they would be funding environmental enhancements to the tributaries. Funny how the numbers plummeted once the Fraser net brigade started however few people here know that as they're still green compared to the old timers. All these new regulations aren't going to do SQUAT if there is no one there to enforce the regs either, I haven't been checked for YEARS by a CO!
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »

Bait Bans (including those on rivers like the Capilano) cite studies which showed that the use of bait resulted in higher post release mortality than other lures.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:36:42 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »

Any actual studies done on this regulation proposal or are the words of the holier than thou feather whippers and the Simms poster boys enough? It's a band-aid fix so DFO and MoE appear to be caring while trying to better the fishery. If they truely cared the nets would be out of the Fraser and they would be funding environmental enhancements to the tributaries. Funny how the numbers plummeted once the Fraser net brigade started however few people here know that as they're still green compared to the old timers. All these new regulations aren't going to do SQUAT if there is no one there to enforce the regs either, I haven't been checked for YEARS by a CO!

Couldn't agree with you more.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »

The only guys I saw using bait this past weekend where some locals fishing shrimp off a weight on the bottom.

These guys were pretty old and didn't seem like they were up for much moving around and didn't seem like the types to adhere to any new regs.

Beautiful river though. Caught my very first steelie ever this past weekend on the T, and it will be one to remember for sure. Was a beautiful chrome doe in the 15lb range.