Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Aug 3rd.  (Read 2346 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Capilano Aug 3rd.
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:45:08 AM »

Hit the cap this AM, nice low water and coloreds up too...perfect conditions for huckin hardware.  As per usual, fish were showing every where when I arrive.  I thought I would start with a #3 blue fox spinner with a chartruese body.  I was getting lots of followers...maybe 1/3 of my casts in fact.  I tried all sorts of speeds, went all the way down to a number 1, weighted, unweighted, etc,etc.  These dang fish would come up for a look but refused to commit.

Anyhow, moved on thru my selection of spoons (crocs, kitimats, and coho's) and had less followers but still some interest.   Started to get quite frustrate.

10 minutes before I had to leave I decided go big or go home and out came may #6 blue fox  :o , well wouldn't you know it, 2nd cast with this huge honking blade...wham fish on.  Good thing about BIG blades...BIG fish (well by cap standards anyhow).  I had a 5-6lb fish at the end of my line and it was just going ballistic.  I went to set the hook and the drag slipped...unfortunately, I think that was my downfall as I don't think I got a good hook set on this fish.  I had it on for a minute or two and in typical cap coho fashion, it ended up at my feet but with plenty of life left in it.  What do you do...pull it up prematurely, hold it at the surface where it usually ends up trashing about, you cant give it slack....dam, I wish these fish would just dive or run at this point instead of all this  thrashy crap right at  the shore line.  Anyhow the fish eventually threw the hook and I went home empty handed.

Anyhow, I think the trick was getting down deep.  I could feel the rocks ticking my blade so I was right on the bottom.  Yesterday when i snorkeled the cap I noticed that most of the activity mid and upper water colum was smaller fish, all the bigger ones were quietly sitting down deep on the bottom.  Picked a bunch of gear and line outta the run so hopefully we will all have a little cleaner drift now  ;)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano Aug 3rd.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:28:30 AM »

good on ya Gooey thanks for the report.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:04:41 AM »

It was pretty tough driving as the water quality was less than desirable so I didnt find that many.  I did find a bunch of number 4s with leaders attached to slinkies...were those yours?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »

Find any brass Krocodiles ?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:37:01 AM »

I pull all sorts of S**T, everything under the sun... yesterday I got a 10 inch hoochie on a bar rig.  You can tell its a pink season by the number of pink crocs I found and yes, some brass ones too!

One thing that really bugs me though is that I am seeing more and more line I cant break with my hands (more that 15 lb) and lots of braid too (Bouncing betties included).  I cant help but think this is a reflection of the overall degridation of "sports" fishing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »

Interesting about using herring strips. A few years ago there was a gentleman using small herring strips for cohos in the river and at the mouth. If I recall correctly, he did very well. I wonder if it's still the same guy.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:21:03 PM »

Yes it falls under bait. He was using it prior to the bait ban being in effect.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 07:38:22 AM »

I was there about a week ago and some beek got snagged he pulled on it a couple times and couldn't free himself I suggested he wrap his line around a stick and pull it out and just as I am telling him this he reaches in his pocket and cuts the main line!  So I explain to him that wasn't a good thing to do because everyone is going to hook his line now.  A couple casts later he snags up again, this time he puts a little effort into trying to free himself needless to say he still wouldn't try my recommendation of the stick and snap there goes his mainline again (from pulling this time).  Have to wonder what pound test his leader was.  Within a few casts my friend hooks his mainline so I grabbed it and wrapped it around a stick and pulled the snag out with ease retaining his float and gear. He didn't stick around much longer after this as I'm sure he could see he really made an @$$ of himself.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »

haha was he using braid?
weeeeeeeeeow!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 07:40:47 PM »

No the sad part is that he was using what looked to be aprox 15-20 lb chameleon.

JoshGuy

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »

Next time you're up there snorkeling can you take a look for my Blackberry?!

I lost it coming down the rope ramp to just downriver from the bridge. I dove in after it but couldn't see it. I think the current took it into the main fishing area.

Anyways, if you see it let me know. It's a black phone with silver accents. I know it's fried but I wouldn't mind the sim card back.

Cheers,

-JoshGuy!