Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river  (Read 15477 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish river
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134465&ID=recreational
The Mamquam and it's confluence with the main stem Squamish are by far the most busiest places to fish especially on the weekends. It's very popular spot for single hand and spey rodders so be mindfull of their backcasts as you approach the beach.
If you must fish there try going downstream away from the crowds and find your own piece of water to fish. Fishermen in general have a herd mentality and tend to congregate where they see a crowd fishing and we all know what crowd conditions propogate... ie Fraser river this weekend.  You could also find your own piece of water by simply driving along Government Rd. and look for parked cars,dead giveaways to walk accessable fishing spots.

A little ways along in the Brackendale area off Judd road is another area which will give you 3kms of very nice fishable water. Look for the posted "river access " sign on the left. At the end of the road is a parking area with access to the dike and river. From that point one can fish upstream or downstream.
It ain't the roe bro'

Mark102

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »

Hey guys

I have just moved to Whistler for the summer and I'm very keen to go Salmon fishing. I have fishing rods, plenty of pink lures, a non-tidal fishing licence but I don't have a car!!! If I catch a bus to the greyhound bus terminal in North Garibaldi (see link below), is there anywhere to fish that is within walking distance (maybe 3km max)? I suppose I could also catch a taxi but would prefer to save the money if possible.

Thanks a lot!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Whistler,+British+Columbia&daddr=40446+Government+Rd,+Garibaldi+Highlands,+BC+V0N+1T0+(Greyhound+Canada)&hl=en&ll=49.742176,-123.131247&spn=0.013035,0.037894&sll=49.729251,-123.138542&sspn=0.052152,0.151577&geocode=FUi2_AIdwcmr-CmHe5UDsjyHVDH2z_V16EG3Sg%3BFYYJ9wIdvQ-p-CH-BMtKeT8TACl145TrDfmGVDEVfTlafg_jfA&gl=ca&mra=prev&z=15
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:08:55 AM by Mark102 »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »

Hey guys

I have just moved to Whistler for the summer and I'm very keen to go Salmon fishing. I have fishing rods, plenty of pink lures, a non-tidal fishing licence but I don't have a car!!! If I catch a bus to the greyhound bus terminal in North Garibaldi (see link below), is there anywhere to fish that is within walking distance (maybe 3km max)? I suppose I could also catch a taxi but would prefer to save the money if possible.

Thanks a lot!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Whistler,+British+Columbia&daddr=40446+Government+Rd,+Garibaldi+Highlands,+BC+V0N+1T0+(Greyhound+Canada)&hl=en&ll=49.742176,-123.131247&spn=0.013035,0.037894&sll=49.729251,-123.138542&sspn=0.052152,0.151577&geocode=FUi2_AIdwcmr-CmHe5UDsjyHVDH2z_V16EG3Sg%3BFYYJ9wIdvQ-p-CH-BMtKeT8TACl145TrDfmGVDEVfTlafg_jfA&gl=ca&mra=prev&z=15

Mark, If you were to follow Government Rd North about 500m to where there is access to the dyke road, you would be within sight of the river.  Follow the dyke road south and you will find access to that first bar (I have not fished that bar personally so I cannot comment on the quality of the water or how submerged it is, but it seems easily accessible.  If you follow the dyke road south for another 2 kilometers you will come to the the rail bridge and the mouth of the Mamquam that everyone is talking about.
Not all those who wander are lost

Mark102

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

Awesome! Thanks a lot!!! Might head down there on Monday and give it a shot.  ;D

Just to confirm, is that area non-tidal? Don't want to be fishing there with the wrong licence....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »

The tidal boundary for Squamish River is "A line between signs on the rock bluff on the west side of the river mouth, on a piling in the river mouth, and at the site of the former FMC chemical plant on the east side of the river mouth."

If you are fishing anywhere upstream from this boundary, most likely you are, you need a non-tidal/freshwater fishing licence.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »

Awesome! Thanks a lot!!! Might head down there on Monday and give it a shot.  ;D

Just to confirm, is that area non-tidal? Don't want to be fishing there with the wrong licence....

Yes the river portion is non tidal (unlike the Fraser, the Squamish tidal boundary is at the mouth).
Not all those who wander are lost

s.patrick

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »

I'm confused about the areas that can be fished on the Squamish River.

According to the regs:

Retention of pinks is allowed in "Squamish River downstream of boundary signs at the powerline crossing approximately 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River."

Can I assume, then, that pink retention is not allowed further up the river off the Squamish Main FSR, etc.?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »

Yes.

s.patrick

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »

Great, thank you.

Mark102

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »

I was down at the railway bridge on Monday and there didn't seem to be too many around yet. I only saw three landed in about 3 hours in that spot. Given what people were saying around me I guess it gets a lot better than that. Might try again next week.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »

I was down at the railway bridge on Monday and there didn't seem to be too many around yet. I only saw three landed in about 3 hours in that spot. Given what people were saying around me I guess it gets a lot better than that. Might try again next week.

The fishing can be quite tidal dependent as it is so close to Howe Sound. Your best chance is to time your outing so it coincides with an incoming tide, when new fish would move into the lower section of the river. The alternative is to fish further up or Cheakamus River where fish are mostly staging rather than travelling, but they tend to be not as fresh.

Just a reminder to all that pink salmon retention will close in a couple of weeks from now on the Squamish River. Here's a DFO notice regarding this from yesterday:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=135153&ID=recreational

slurpie

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:23 AM »

There should be lots in the system.  Fished last week and saw lots being caught where kosanin and hook are giving directions to.  Almost all were fresh and bright, some with sea lice still.

Mark102

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »

Thanks Rodney!

So here is a tide forecast - http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Squamish-BritishColumbia/tides/latest

So for today/Thursday, do you think anytime between 3-9pm is a good time or is there a particular point during the incoming tide which is better? Hope I'm not asking for too much, just want to catch my first Salmon!!!  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:46:51 AM by Mark102 »

Mark102

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »

Thanks Slurpie, I just looked at the map and it's not far from where I was fishing. Definitely saw people walking back over the railway bridge and from that direction holding a couple of pinks. Might have another go later today if the timing is good with the tides.

slurpie

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »

fishing during the incoming tide has always been my preference