Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snags with cp  (Read 4105 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
snags with cp
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

Hey guys, im getting a cp setup this week and was just wondering since a cp has no drag how do you get off bad snags you cant just pop off, the ones that require gear loss? I searched here and couldn't find anything about this. Do you just put the clicker on and wrap around your arm, or what? And if it helps it will be a 12ft rod.

Thanks.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: snags with cp
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »

Use your free hand to hold on to the rims and pull back.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »

Use your free hand to hold on to the rims and pull back.
thanks  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

palm the rim and just give her a good jerk and hope to high heaven the float comes back with you

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »

i grab the line and point the rod at the snag walk back up river it pops out most of the time... i also apply my lead to the tag of of my main line near the swivel. doing so i only lost 1 chunk of lead this past steelhead season...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:14:56 PM by joska »
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »

i grab the line and point the rod at the snag walk back up river it pops out most of the time... i also apply my lead to the tag of of my main line near the swivel. doing so i only lost 1 chunk of lead this past steelhead season...
yes i do a similar way, but i use a 3way swivel and tie a short piece with a piece of pencil lead.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »

just make sure to check for nicks and bobbys <abrasions>  hate to loose the big one to being lazy

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »

I grab the line as well. If you dont you could ruin the reel. The spingle can bend slightly giving you a wobble in your reel.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »

ok thanks guys, i didnt want to wreck a brand new reel  :-\

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »

I guess, now that I think of it I usually grab the line and the rim at the same time, but I am holding pressure on the line to reduce the pressure if any on the reel itself

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »

I just simply reel up the slack line, wrap the line around my arm, point the rod tip at the snag, quick jerk and I'm free. No pressure on the reel or rod, all on the forearm. Retie with some adjustments (shorten the depth of my float) make another flip in the slick and hook a steelhead!  8)

PS.. I only use 12lbs mainline with 10lbs leader. Makes life alot easier.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:17:48 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »

I just simply reel up the slack line, wrap the line around my arm, point the rod tip at the snag, quick jerk and I'm free. No pressure on the reel or rod, all on the forearm. Retie with some adjustments (shorten the depth of my float) make another flip in the slick and hook a steelhead!  8)

PS.. I only use 12lbs mainline with 10lbs leader. Makes life alot easier.
thats how i get snags off with a level wind
and i run 12lb main with 8lb leader. for my pin im gonna do 15lb main tho.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »

Which ever way you do it, MAKE sure you're pointing the tip of the riod at the problem.
You don't want to break the rod as well.
Me: a wrap of line (around the arm) holding the reel and start walking away (f it doesn't want to give after the initial tugs), with a tug or two as I go.
I'd rather have the gear hit me in the back of the head when it breaks free than in the face (That's a nasty snag though).

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

Which ever way you do it, MAKE sure you're pointing the tip of the riod at the problem.
You don't want to break the rod as well.
Me: a wrap of line (around the arm) holding the reel and start walking away (f it doesn't want to give after the initial tugs), with a tug or two as I go.
I'd rather have the gear hit me in the back of the head when it breaks free than in the face (That's a nasty snag though).
lol that brings back some memories, last winter at allison pool i caught a tree on the other side of the river and made the mistake of looking at the tree while yanking back... well my weight came flying back and hit my eye and it swelled completly shut :( and thanks everyone.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »

lol that brings back some memories, last winter at allison pool i caught a tree on the other side of the river and made the mistake of looking at the tree while yanking back... well my weight came flying back and hit my eye and it swelled completly shut :( and thanks everyone.
  do you wear glasses now when on the water dan?