Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sigh bored of pinks... Coho time :D  (Read 10824 times)

koifish

Sigh bored of pinks... Coho time :D
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

I'm bored of going after pinks I want to start fly fishing for coho and springs
Chum is not to far away to soo... I have a 9wt fly rod is that to small for spring and chum?
What flies are good for chums?
And I heard if I wanna fly fish for springs I need a sink tip that goes down deeper and suggestions which one?
I have cortland wf8 and protac wf7
Are those good ? Or any other suggestions ?
I shorted my fly leader to 2-3 ft as I fouled hook on some  pinks as When I was stripping my line then I figured out too many pinks where there  so I moved to another spot lol thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:46:45 PM by koifish »

Joeb

Re: Sigh bored of pinks... Coho time :D
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »

I'm bored of going after pinks I want to start fly fishing for coho and springs
Chum is not to far away to soo... I have a 9wt fly rod is that to small for spring and chum?
What flies are good for chums?
And I heard if I wanna fly fish for springs I need a sink tip that goes down deeper and suggestions which one?
I have cortland wf8 and protac wf7
Are those good ? Or any other suggestions ?
I shorted my fly leader to 2-3 ft as I fouled hook on some  pinks as When I was stripping my line then I figured out too many pinks where there  so I moved to another spot lol thanks

A 9 wt will be good for spring and chum. Flies are not that big of a deal. Just make sure to have a few different sizes and colours, with flash. Springs can be difficult to get on the fly. Most salmon in freshwater will not travel very far to grab a fly so I find its the water you choose to fish that will determine your success. Look for slow water. Cast up and let the fly sink. When the fly is at a good depth strip in. Strip the fly to your feet and hold on. For the 9 wt rod you might want to try and find a 10wtf or 9wtf to be able to turn over sink tips,weighted flies, and punch out casts in fall winds. When using sink tips I always usually tend to use short leaders in the 12 to 18 inch range. Lastly salmon fishing with a fly rod is not a numbers game. For myself a day fly fishing salmon properly results in a few fish and a few more follows.

koifish

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »

ya i was assuming the water current is to fast well pinks are over soon and river will be good for chums which are easy to catch and a spring or a coho would be a bonus i have some flies red and silver streamers and blue and silver streamers pretty flashy

i was flyfishing this one spot for the whole day i knew there was springs there but my fly wasnt going deep enough was my guess my dad comes and casts there he gets a spring lol so i know what the problem is i need my fly to go down deeper i have wft8 sinking clear line is that good? i also have cortland wft8 sinking rocket which is better? thanks

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »

you can also buy large strike indicators and then fish egg patterns for springs. Its easier to use a drift rod however  ::)

You need more of a fly arrangement if you want to chase coho. coho will take flies very well but having a good variety helps huge
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

koifish

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

i think i have a mediium selection of flies i will post the pics up soon give me 10 mins lol

koifish

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »

these are probably my best producing coho flies - Xmas trees (most of these are tied long so I can trim them on the water if I need to)

this is the other box I also have on me for coho fishing

you'll see regular muddlers and bunny muddlers, Cali Neals, sparkle buggers and some tied for specific places where they work best  ;)

Don't get to attached to have too many patterns but make sure you have several of each because coho will tear them apart some days. I had a day fishing muddlers where every fish destroyed the damn fly !

those boxes are actually getting a bit on the low side. better sit down and start tying replacements

on top of these I have some "prototype" flies I will be using this year to see if I'm on to something
Check out our new blog

koifish

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »

hey hook are my flies any goood? for vedder thats where i mostly fish lol thanks

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »

when it comes to springs usually most flies that work for coho will work for them. problem is getting it down into their sight path. my best flies for springs so far are muddlers in natural and olive, xmas trees in blue/green, glo bugs, and white sparkle buggers

I would bet those flies with lots of flash should work if you can get them down and keep them down where the fish are more likely to grab at them. Coho on the other hand like to chase shiny objects so get it down and then give it some twitches as it swings. If your fishing slow to almost non moving water then cast and strip varying the strip and sink depth until you find the formula for success

Good luck

I would say head to a fly shop and arm yourself with some xmas tree flies that look like what I have here. Blue/green has caught every species of salmon plus cutties for me so far

If you tie your own then here is the recipe:

short shank hook (Tiemco 2499SP-BL size 6 for example)
5/32" or 1/8" bead in silver, gold or copper (silver is my favourite)
Crystal flash in blue/green

put bead on hook with large opening facing the hook eye, place hook in vise, leaving the bead by the vise jaws anchor your thread by the hook eye only making a few wraps side by side, tie in a length of crystal flash facing towards the hook eye, whip finish and then run bead over the flash, anchor thread behind the bead building it up to hold bead tightly in place, pull flash over the bead and anchor it down with several wraps, whip finish, do a few more wraps and whip finish again, cut free. head cement the thread and the flash over the bead for strength. Done
Check out our new blog

ejeffrey

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »

Thanks for posting those pics HOOK - I really appreciate it. I'm always looking for what people consider their productive coho patterns, namely because I don't have any of my own - yet!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »

If you tie your own muddlers make sure to add natural ones with a hot orange bead to the arsenal. I know the pattern itself should have a decent hot orange thread collar but I find the addition of the bead can really turn on the bite sometimes.

My orange flies are for a couple specific places and I haven't had them work anywhere else so far.

added this year is an all silver pattern and a copper/silver. these both are attempts at loose lure imitations when it comes to color only ;)
Check out our new blog

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »

Hey Hook.  Nice ties.  But those X-mas trees look really familiar....... ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »

A KCK (Kelly's Coho Killer) with a yellow body
An olive wooly bugger with a gold conehead
a Mickey Finn

are the flies that have been most successful for me.

Any coho fly I add some flash to the tail and/or wing. I prefer plastic or other sparkle chenille for the body on bugger style flies.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »

Yes, I've also been successful with the coho blue and rolled muddler.  I prefer my coho flies to be sparse, with some form of flash as well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

mine are all sparse with a good amount of flash where it should be. I leave my rolled muddlers a little heavy and can always just rip deer hair away to sparse it out on the water. I've had many times when the heavier dressed amount of deer hair worked better than the super sparse ones. The bunny ones may look big and poofy but they thin right out in the water and pulsate really well, they are the same length as the deer hair flies in proportion

I don't have any in my box at the moment but I also like an olive sparkle with a hot orange bead. I think that hot orange bead triggers something but I have found when the water is super clear it tends to spook them instead  ???

Coho can be the most fun and easy to catch fish one day and then the most extremely frustrating fish to catch the next
Check out our new blog