Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good Beginner Fly Rod and Reel  (Read 10846 times)

Fishing2474life

• Hero Shot
Good Beginner Fly Rod and Reel
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »

Hey guys I was jut wondering what a good beginner fly rod a reel set-up would be. Thanks in advance
-fishing2474life
Take up a reel sport. Fishing!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Good Beginner Fly Rod and Reel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »

for trout a 5/6 wt rod and reel with one spool of floating line and another spool of sinking line. a good rod for a good price is a temple fork outfitters, there made on sage blanks, i have 2 of these rods and like em alot. for the reel there is many diffrent choies, but spend a bit more and get a reel with a nice drag and all metal, not a plastic one. the tfo rods range from about 120-300 bucks. for the reel you can get a good one for about 60-100 bucks to. or if you wanna spend less look at rod and reel combos. Just remeber to match the rod weight with the reel weight and the line with the reel and rod, it balences it properly and casts way better. For steelhead and salmon go with a 8wt rod with a large arbour reel (8/9 wt reel) and a sinktip line. The flys my fav way to fish :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

fishgutz63

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »

army n navy  in new west has a 5wt 4piece 9ft rod n reel with backing and floating line AMUNDSON with case for 150 bucks check it out maybe what your looking for. :)

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »

not to jack your thread but im currently in the market to buy a cheapy beginner outfit as well,
something along the 8-9wt for steelie/salmon

any ideas where i can find a dece set up?

im on a tight budget but looking to spend ~$100 bucks, i dont care if its used or new
A swung fly is the best fly.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »

not to jack your thread but im currently in the market to buy a cheapy beginner outfit as well,

im on a tight budget but looking to spend ~$100 bucks, i dont care if its used or new

If you want to get into flyfishing for salmon & steelhead you will need a reel with a good drag. Finding a combo for $100 for this type of fishing would be very difficult.

Cheap setup would be something like an 8wt TFO ( under $100 )
Pflueger Trion ( can find on EBAY under $100 )
Line ( another $50-$100 if you want tips as well )

Cheapest I could see is around $200 if you find someone trying to unload a package for cheap. Those prices would be prices on used setups ( except the Trion you can get them new on EBAY for that price )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TayC

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:53:06 AM »

If you want to get into flyfishing for salmon & steelhead you will need a reel with a good drag. Finding a combo for $100 for this type of fishing would be very difficult.

Cheap setup would be something like an 8wt TFO ( under $100 )
Pflueger Trion ( can find on EBAY under $100 )
Line ( another $50-$100 if you want tips as well )

Cheapest I could see is around $200 if you find someone trying to unload a package for cheap. Those prices would be prices on used setups ( except the Trion you can get them new on EBAY for that price )

thanks for the info! after more internet searching i found theres quite a big price diff between a say a 5/6wt setup and 8/9. ill keep my eyes open for any deals haha may have to wait till my spare setup first

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »

Definitely check out the amundson reels.  Very nice for the price. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:32:34 PM by Clarki Hunter »

TayC

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

stopped in at freds and they do a package outfit for $159. you get a redington rod and reel (i believe crosswater) 7/8/9 wt, line and quite a bit of extra stuff. i might pick this up next week or so

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

Check out Sea Run, Berry's and Pacific Angler. They all have flyfishing packages on sale

TayC

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »

Check out Sea Run, Berry's and Pacific Angler. They all have flyfishing packages on sale

i would but i live no where near any of those shops unfortunatley  :(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »

thanks for the info! after more internet searching i found theres quite a big price diff between a say a 5/6wt setup and 8/9. ill keep my eyes open for any deals haha may have to wait till my spare setup first

Big difference because a 5/6wt reel does not need a strong drag for trout. Most trout can be played off the reel instead of the drag.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TayC

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »

Big difference because a 5/6wt reel does not need a strong drag for trout. Most trout can be played off the reel instead of the drag.

ya i might eventually get a 5/6 but since i dont do much trout fishing i wanna get the 7/8/9 to start and then get a lighter set up if i like it for trout

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »

Call Bob Morrison 1-604-826-4625, and ask him about about his Daiwa Algonquin. It is a limited line comes in 8 & 9wt only. I bought one (8wt) for bass fishing last year. No frills but a great rod. Price last year was $67 plus shipping. This is only the rod you will have to shop for a reel and line.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:36:41 PM by newsman »
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

TayC

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »

Call Bob Morrison 1-604-826-4625, and ask him about about his Daiwa Algonquin. It is a limited line comes in 8 & 9wt only. I bought one (8wt) for bass fishing last year. No frills but a great rod. Price last year was $67 plus shipping. This is only the rod you will have to shop for a reel and line.

thanks i will deffinetly look into that, i going to go window shopping for reels and what not this weekend and see waht i find.