Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat recommendation for Fraser River  (Read 12322 times)

cabro

Boat recommendation for Fraser River
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »

I'm looking to purchase a boat to do some bar fishing on the Fraser, most likely around the Island 22 area.

My plan would be to purchase a 12ft. aluminum car topper or possibly an aluminum bottom inflatable of some sort as I plan on throwing it in the back of my truck bed and not using a trailer. Would either of these be options and if so what size engine could I get away with? I would only plan on carrying myself and a friend with minimal supplies.

Cheers!

Brian the fisherman

Re: Boat recommendation for Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

In my opinion. Minimum 15 horse motor and minimum 12 ft boat.
Depending on how much you plan to fish and how far you want to boat I personally wouldn't go any smaller.
I've watched some smaller boats get swamped and sink in seconds so be aware that there are some jerks out there who jet boat past small boats  full blast.
Tight lines to all

mcallagan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »

I'm looking at the doing the same thing. :o
I've been eyeing 15HPs for my 12 foot but nothing purchased yet.
The ones on Craig's List are mostly long shaft and I think for the Fraser I would really need a short shaft, a lot of hidden bars.
If you do get it together be very careful with the river's flow speed and depth.

cabro

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »

Depending on how much you plan to fish and how far you want to boat I personally wouldn't go any smaller.
I've watched some smaller boats get swamped and sink in seconds so be aware that there are some jerks out there who jet boat past small boats  full blast.

Ya, that was my concern as well. I definitely have a healthy fear of the Fraser and don't want to trek out in something completely ridiculous. ;)

cabro

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »

I'm looking at the doing the same thing. :o
I've been eyeing 15HPs for my 12 foot but nothing purchased yet.
The ones on Craig's List are mostly long shaft and I think for the Fraser I would really need a short shaft, a lot of hidden bars.
If you do get it together be very careful with the river's flow speed and depth.

Ya, i've noticed they are mostly long shaft as well and all the jets listed seem to be big money. Short shaft's don't seem to show up that often.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

I've seen a ton of guys running a prop outboard hits bars in the Island 22 area and above.

Keep in mind that if you run a motor larger than 9.9, you will have to register your boat.

cabro

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »

I've seen a ton of guys running a prop outboard hits bars in the Island 22 area and above.

You mean running into a bar they didn't know was there and wrecking their outboard?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »

Now did these small boat operators turn into the wake or just kept going and ended up rolling. I have had the "luxury" of being in a 12' with a 9.9 and NEVER had a problem with bigger boats blasting past, just takes some common sense on what to do.

Like others have said the smallest I would say would be a 12' with a 15 HP. A 14' with a 25 HP cruises very well even loaded with gear for camping and 3 people total. A 12' Spratley (with some transom mods lol) with a 30 HP jet would be super nice for the stupid skinny stuff lol
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:15:04 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TacoChris

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »

My 9.8 powers my 12ft flatbottom no problem unless there too much weight. As you plan to keep weight down a 9.9 will suffice but 15 would be better.But get a reliable motor not some old beater that breaks down. Short shaft is much better and get a spare prop.

I slow right down when jets go by and turn into the wake and attach my kill switch to my life jacket.

Madmardigan

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »

Don't think I see it mentioned,but your shaft length should fit your boat's transom.Long or short won't make any difference in how deep your prop will sit if it's mounted right.A short shaft fits a 16" transom,and a long fits a 20".Find the engine you want,then get the boat with the right transom.

cabro

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »

My 9.8 powers my 12ft flatbottom no problem unless there too much weight. As you plan to keep weight down a 9.9 will suffice but 15 would be better.But get a reliable motor not some old beater that breaks down. Short shaft is much better and get a spare prop.

I slow right down when jets go by and turn into the wake and attach my kill switch to my life jacket.

Your using a flatbottom on the Fraser?

Not sure if this is similar to what you have but I was looking at getting the 12' model one of these and a few people recommended against it due to the low sides which I find funny as the description says "deep sides". It looked ideal as it's solid weld and has an option for wheels for the back.

http://www.spratleyboats.com/models.htm

TNAngler

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 06:30:36 AM »

In my opinion, stay away from flat bottom boats on the Fraser if you plan on hooking any bigger kings and having to chase them.  We had to go out and get a new boat when we had too many kings finally come up from the depths only to hide under the boat and it was almost impossible to get them out.  A v-bottom helps move them out from under the boat.  Put in a flat floor so it is more comfortable but I would definitely go v bottom instead.

cabro

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »

In my opinion, stay away from flat bottom boats on the Fraser if you plan on hooking any bigger kings and having to chase them.  We had to go out and get a new boat when we had too many kings finally come up from the depths only to hide under the boat and it was almost impossible to get them out.  A v-bottom helps move them out from under the boat.  Put in a flat floor so it is more comfortable but I would definitely go v bottom instead.

Hmm...Never though of that. Is that the only potential issue you see with using a flat bottom boat like a Sprately on the Fraser? My main concern was one of safety.

TNAngler

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:38 AM »

Hmm...Never though of that. Is that the only potential issue you see with using a flat bottom boat like a Sprately on the Fraser? My main concern was one of safety.

Safety is also a concern because there are some real idiots out there.  I would think the v bottom would handle wake better but who knows.

I do know that there is little that is more frustrating than waiting all day for your king, finally getting it and having to chase after it and then not be able to get it out from under the boat and losing it.

cabro

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »

Safety is also a concern because there are some real idiots out there.  I would think the v bottom would handle wake better but who knows.

I do know that there is little that is more frustrating than waiting all day for your king, finally getting it and having to chase after it and then not be able to get it out from under the boat and losing it.

I called a few Spratley dealers and all of them recommended to get a v bottom boat for use on the Fraser. They mentioned the afternoon chop that often crops up on the Fraser and said it can get fairly unpleasant in a flat bottom boat.