Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Late Again?  (Read 2930 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sockeye Late Again?
« on: July 21, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »

Just received the latest news release from the Pacific Salmon Commission and it appears the Early Summer - run sockeye abundance through the marine approach areas is presently tracking below expectations.

As well concerns are now being expressed for warm water conditions this summer as well the discharge rate at Hope is 36 percent below normal. Seal predation at the two test fishing site, Whonnock (area 29D) and Cottonwood (29B) as mentioned on another thread are resulting in the loss of important biological samples and data.

While checking the test fishing at Whonnock I noticed yesterday they got only 2 sockeye but 27 chinook, this should make from some good barfishing for them this weekend.

If you are interested in reading this press release and lots of other data including all the PSC test fishing results go to http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing.htm

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Late Again?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:00:16 PM »

Seal predation at the two test fishing site, Whonnock (area 29D) and Cottonwood (29B) as mentioned on another thread are resulting in the loss of important biological samples and data.

Time to seriously consider an opening for seals. Lock and load! ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:53:34 PM »

My son and I camped at Duncan bar for the night. We fished All day Wednesday & Thursday. No salmon taken. Did manage one sturgeon though on the bar rod.

We were on the river all day both days and only saw 3 springs surface. For this time of year you would think you would see allot more than that. Also did not see one sockeye come up. ALLOT of seals though. The seals never travelled alone either.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »

My son and I camped at Duncan bar for the night. We fished All day Wednesday & Thursday. No salmon taken. Did manage one sturgeon though on the bar rod.

We were on the river all day both days and only saw 3 springs surface. For this time of year you would think you would see allot more than that. Also did not see one sockeye come up. ALLOT of seals though. The seals never travelled alone either.
Time to come up to were the fish are, Maple leaf Bars. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:15:02 PM »

Seal predation at the two test fishing site, Whonnock (area 29D) and Cottonwood (29B) as mentioned on another thread are resulting in the loss of important biological samples and data.

Time to seriously consider an opening for seals. Lock and load! ;D
Milo, we are working on setting up a meeting once again with our MLA on some other issues we will discuss this matter as well but I imagine it is a Federal matter and the flack of an opening on seals on the West Coast may be too much for them to handle. I have heard gun shots over the years on the Fraser and I know it is not ducks they are shooting at. ::)

As it has been said on this forum before, in the 1950's and most likely before that a $ 5 bounty was paid for a seal's nose harvested in the Strait of Georgia.

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »

we got over 60 springs on thursday at work form  jan and albert!!! go and get them boys and girls ;D ;D ;D

nosey

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:22:41 PM »

In historical times the sea lions and seals were at the top of the marine food chain since then humans have replaced them, however if we don't control their numbers we wind up with too many predators and not enough prey. Crossbows are a nice quiet option to noisy firearms and quite deadly at close range  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »

Anyone know why albion test fishery has not updated it's result since Monday?