Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sat. October 1st Fun Trip  (Read 1955 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Vedder Sat. October 1st Fun Trip
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:36:39 AM »

Late start this morning to meet up with my buddy; we arrived on the river close to noon.  Since I’m new at coho fishing, I just follow him around and fish, first stop old Prison Camp.  I was just tying up my leader and his second cast..  FISH On. line zip through surface and a chrome spring leaped out shaking it’s head hard.  A nice person he is, he passed on his rod to me to fight the fish.  With his guidance got the fish to riverside, he tails it and released.  As it’s still early he said there is no point keeping the fish now.  Nice start looks like it’s going to be a good day.  Few casts later he’s into another fish and it’s another spring. This time it’s a lot bigger. After 10 mins the fish gave in, it’s reeled in and again released, this one is about 30lb. He moved down the run a bit to fish and I was into my first fish… a chum. It zipped downstream and after a few head shake… leader broke.  Bye bye fishy.

As I was retying, my buddy was into another fish.  It leaps a few times, and it’s COHO, it’s a biggie, looks to be over 10lb.  Unfortunately, it popped off.  In the next hour, it’s only chum after chum.  We decided to move further downstream.  Found a nice small run.  We started cast away.  SPRING ON.. Since it’s getting late I kept this one and it’s weighted (at home) at 23lb.  While I was busy playing my spring my buddy lost 2 more cohos.  I mock him this got to be his C&R day.  Well he had to prove me wrong.. our last few cast he was into another fish.. AND IT”S A COHO  This time he takes his time to play out the fish. It took him much more time to get this 9lb coho in than his 30lb spring early…   ;D
What a nice wrap up.  Well time to head home to heat up the oven.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:57:05 PM by Rodney »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Vedder Sat. Fun Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 04:56:31 AM »

You guys found some nice groups of coho, surprised you still got good action at noon, I may have to stay longer. Nice Report, what were you guys fishing with?
The Bigger The Better!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:17:01 AM »

Good report Bwi Bwi, sounds like you had a good trip and were rewarded with some nice fish. I fished the Lower Vedder for a few hours yesterday trying out some new shooting head line for my eight weight fly rod.  Got into a nice size chum - man can those fish fight. I was using a  purple egg sucking leech fly with a rabbit strip tail.

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:37:54 AM »

Nice report BwiBwi :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 12:34:16 PM »

awsome report!, nice coho
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 01:24:52 PM »

Indeed a fun trip. :D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »

Good report Bwi Bwi, sounds like you had a good trip and were rewarded with some nice fish. I fished the Lower Vedder for a few hours yesterday trying out some new shooting head line for my eight weight fly rod.  Got into a nice size chum - man can those fish fight. I was using a  purple egg sucking leech fly with a rabbit strip tail.

Man, good to hear someone finally got them to hit a fly....egg patterns yes, but I've been skunked on my flys....Was thinking about time to ty some ESL's...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 03:31:56 PM »

Sounds like you guys had lots of fun. Nice catches. Congrats.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »

I too hit the lower river with the fly rod yesterday morning from first light to about 10:00 AM.  I took my light Sage XP 796 (7 wt) in search of the coho.  My first fish immediately swam up river, giving me head shakes.  I'd turn the fish in, but when it got to shallow water, it took off straight up river and had me into backing.  I'm pretty sure it was a spring.  Anyway, I didn't want to stress my 7 weight too hard on a spring, so I relieved the tension and allowed the fish to shake the hook out.

A little while later, my buddy hooks a fish on a Mickey Finnn - a big chum in nice shape.  The fish is subdued and released.  I then hook a very nice looking chum.  After a five minute battle, my hook comes loose and I find that it's bent out.  My buddy then has to leave and I fish for just 15 minutes longer.  Another chum takes the fly and this time I land a 12+ pound buck in clean shape.  He too is released to colour up a bit more... :D.

All in all a great day.  I think I'll put away that 7 weight rod and break out the 896 RPL+.  I just get too worried playing springs and chum on the "finesse" rod!

Saw a few coho - but they were extremely lock-jawed!  Until next time... :).

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »

Man, good to hear someone finally got them to hit a fly....egg patterns yes, but I've been skunked on my flys....Was thinking about time to ty some ESL's...

Keep trying Xgolfman!  You'll get them!  The water conditions are very difficult for coho right now - especially with all the angler pressure downriver (canal).  The springs and chum will still take the fly - and they are very stong fish!  Anyway - I'd suggest going on the smaller more sparser side with the low and clear conditions along with light leader.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 03:46:25 PM »

Soon there will be better places than the Vedder to go with the fly for coho  ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family