Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299620 times)

dobrolub

pics or it didn't happen :)

bigsnag

• Old Timer

pics or it didn't happen :)
36.5" of uh, not so chrome steel

nice tail thou
It ain't the roe bro'

Blackrt03

Bigsnag, nice steelie!

dobrolub

Yep, good job Bigsnag!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Well.... picked up for me at least  ;D 6 in the last 5 outings.

but everyone told you not to go to Suicide Creek! Damn! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

River is dropping fast and is now very clear. I did not see any fish caught last week, mid section in the spots I go to on a regular basis. Lots of pressure last couple of days.

SilverChaser

This is my brother's first year steelhead fishing so I have been desperately trying to get him into one whenever he comes out. Hooked one last night, rod handed over, played out, leader snaps at shore, gone. Hooked one today, rod handed over, played out, go to tail her, the leader snaps and she narrowly escapes my grasp. Making it interesting  ;D water is really nice colour right now.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Handing the rod over is not catching your first steelhead...

riptide

This is my brother's first year steelhead fishing so I have been desperately trying to get him into one whenever he comes out. Hooked one last night, rod handed over, played out, leader snaps at shore, gone. Hooked one today, rod handed over, played out, go to tail her, the leader snaps and she narrowly escapes my grasp. Making it interesting  ;D water is really nice colour right now.

Its your own business and also great you are helping out your bro but why not let him catch his own steelie...It will make his first steelhead story way better around the campfire . Also congrats on your success on the river
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

bobby b

Well.... picked up for me at least  ;D 6 in the last 5 outings.

I must be doing it wrong.... So many outings now and I get skunked on every one. First light to dusk, upper and mid mostly. Lost 1 in Jan and 1 in Feb.
I too am trying to get my first ever steelhead

riptide

I must be doing it wrong.... So many outings now and I get skunked on every one. First light to dusk, upper and mid mostly. Lost 1 in Jan and 1 in Feb.
I too am trying to get my first ever steelhead

Go back and pound the areas you had you hookups....they will traditionally hold at the same spots. A good place to start your day then keep moving and hunting from there ...Good luck on your first steelie
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

bobby b

Yup, that is what I do.

Been out at least 15-20 times now and nothing landed. Lost 2.  I have seen quite a few landed in areas that I fish.

Seriouly tho'....am I doing it wrong.... esp. with the float?

When I float for them, I just let the float drift, no hold back at all 'cept to keep the line up off the water.
My float sits up dead straight in the water, but I see almost every other fisher has the float almost laying flat on the surface and it sure looks like they are holding it back too.

i have not had anyone really 'educate' me on the Steelhead method, I just go by what I read on the interweb.... 'dead drift, dont hold back' .... but I am starting to doubt my 'technique'.

I toss out and get a sense of the depth and then shorten up by 1-2 ft, my leader is average 18-24 inches.  I peg a bead,  use a roe sack, pink and white worm, jig etc and switch 'em up fairly often. I start at the top of a run and work my way through it, starting close and working out farther.

Really I guess this post is just borne out of frustration..... or just plain bad luck.
Def not about to give up but it sure is a haul from Coquitlam to Chilliwack only to get skunked time after time.

:o :o :o

VirtualFisher

Yup, that is what I do.

Been out at least 15-20 times now and nothing landed. Lost 2.  I have seen quite a few landed in areas that I fish.

Seriouly tho'....am I doing it wrong.... esp. with the float?

When I float for them, I just let the float drift, no hold back at all 'cept to keep the line up off the water.
My float sits up dead straight in the water, but I see almost every other fisher has the float almost laying flat on the surface and it sure looks like they are holding it back too.

i have not had anyone really 'educate' me on the Steelhead method, I just go by what I read on the interweb.... 'dead drift, dont hold back' .... but I am starting to doubt my 'technique'.

I toss out and get a sense of the depth and then shorten up by 1-2 ft, my leader is average 18-24 inches.  I peg a bead,  use a roe sack, pink and white worm, jig etc and switch 'em up fairly often. I start at the top of a run and work my way through it, starting close and working out farther.

Really I guess this post is just borne out of frustration..... or just plain bad luck.
Def not about to give up but it sure is a haul from Coquitlam to Chilliwack only to get skunked time after time.

:o :o :o

You are not alone Bobby.  I am on the same boat as your are.  I have been out at least 40 times in the last 2.5 years with no success   :(

SilverChaser

You are not alone Bobby.  I am on the same boat as your are.  I have been out at least 40 times in the last 2.5 years with no success   :( .
Key tip: Don't get discouraged! A really useful tip that I use every time I am out is to fish every piece of water. You'd be amazed where a steelhead will hold. Hide-and-seek fishing  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

bobby b

You are not alone Bobby.  I am on the same boat as your are.  I have been out at least 40 times in the last 2.5 years with no success   :( .

Ouch..... well I do realize that this aint exactly supposed to be easy....but when I see '6 fish in 5 outings' I cant help but wonder what I am missing?