Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299236 times)

bobby b

Wow... crazy.

I have def put in 1000 casts for each of my (only 2) steelhead hook ups so far.. :o 

Still learning ... still learning...  I don't mind putting in the effort for this regal fish, I understand now why this is considered to be the 'ultimate' catch.......

Steelhead / Steelheaders = respect.

When I picture it all in my head ( like a non stop video loop! ) I wonder if I should have instead tried to grab it by the gills. I prob would have been able to hold on better, and given that it was a hatch any harm would be negated by the eventual 'bonk' anyhow.

Onward....I say ....  I still have to get  my 'first' one and then I sure there will be another....and prob more after .. 

tight lines  ;)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

I feel your pain bobby! I had almost the exact same experience last year.
Hooked and played a bullet hatchery doe, easy 10lbs +...but I was on a steep high gravel bank and I just knew I had no way of landing it - too deep to wade in and shore too high for beaching.
Lesson learned. I only ever cast to a fish in spots where I can safely land a fish.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

True enough Wiseguy.
There are places where catching is possible but you have to take into account the landing.
Fishing from cutbanks and above snags should be thought of before the cast.
There's always going to be a time where the fish will get away from your control but plan ahead of your cast.

poper

Lesson learned. I only ever cast to a fish in spots where I can safely land a fish.
Sometimes you have to gamble for reward,I try to fish every little pocket, log jam,I never really even think about where I'm landing the fish till it's on,lol,might not be the best way to fish,that's just how I roll. ;)

Floater

• Old Timer

Sometimes you have to gamble for reward,I try to fish every little pocket, log jam,I never really even think about where I'm landing the fish till it's on,lol,might not be the best way to fish,that's just how I roll. ;)
Exactly! you will be surprised what landing area you can work with when that silver bullet is on the line.
[

clarkii

• Old Timer

Think of the landing first.  Had one situation in New Zealand where I was unsure, got the fish but could have easily sliced my foot on corrugated metal if I mis stepped.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

It's one thing to be fish happy and another to read about in the paper.
We were all young and stupid at one point.
Try to get old and you'll have more to brag about.
Guaranteed!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

This is my mentality. Worry about hooking a fish first. The. Worry about landing it.
You can't worry about the fish you're not catching...
Bette to lose one then not have one on IMO

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

At the detriment of the fish (tangled in a snag) or you?

Don't get me wrong.
I took unnecessary risks when I was younger but a few drenched walks of shame tends to cure that.
If you get to walk.

Bottom line:
Be careful of yourself and the fish you're after.

96XJ

This is my mentality. Worry about hooking a fish first. The. Worry about landing it.
You can't worry about the fish you're not catching...
Bette to lose one then not have one on IMO

not sure about this logic , if you cant safely land a fish whats the point ? , you tire the fish out until it dies or rip the hook out causing who know what damage to the fish

now if the fish heads somewhere downriver and you have to chase , thats something out of your control

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Are you guys members of PETA or something?
We're all out there with the purpose of imbeding a sharp metal object into a fishes face, then playing it on a string until it is so weak it has no energy left and gives up.
I'm talking within reason guys ("people" for the raw vegans) I can't really think of a spot on the Vedder where it's impossible to land a fish. Tough yes, impossible no. Every time you lose a steelhead I hope you guys are marking it on your license then.

Electroman

If you can stand on the shore you can land a fish there.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Was out for a sturdy hike this afternoon for a few hrs. River is flowing high and fast. Vis in the middle section was about 2 feet to 3 feet. Fished some sweet water today. No love for me. A rafter came down and said they hooked only one. Everytime I'm out I see rafters, a huge increase in rafters this yr.  Time for me to get one and join the floatilla!  :P

Electroman

Yea it seems like that is the new thing this year. Is it really necessary on the C/V? where cant you get access with a short walk?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Great point! Yes, you never forget the epic battles, the memories last a lifetime. I have fished steelhead for 30 + yrs now, and will never forget the steels that have kicked my butt on the rivers. One on the Gold, a couple on the Stamp, Cowichan , Thompson and the most recent one last yr on the Vedd. It is a humbling experience and leaves you shaken to your core. It's what keeps us coming back for more and feeds the addiction.

Agree. I can never forget the Gold trip 20+ years ago when me and my buddy caught 25 steelies in one day, all strong wild fish there c/r only. The Thompson is known for 'heart-stopper' steelies that can out-spool you by running upstream, lol. Steelies are such most precious game fish that of all places on earth we are so fortunate to be able to have epic battles with and carry the memories to our graves.