Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299247 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Nice read.
BUT!  This is this river conditions thread.
There is a reports section (perhaps you have no access yet).
May be we should have just one thread for the entire forum.
Just a thought 8)

joshhowat

In high water go heavy 15, pound leader at least and strong hook.

Just think of it as a learning experience.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

bobby b

Nice read.
BUT!  This is this river conditions thread.
There is a reports section (perhaps you have no access yet).
May be we should have just one thread for the entire forum.
Just a thought 8)

Nope.... this is a Steelhead Fishery Information and River Conditions thread

Just thought I would share...  :o   OK.... the river was high and dirty low to mid.... 2-3ft vis upper .....water was running fast  .....
the fish above happened too.....

You are correct sir, I don't have access to the reports section.....just thought this was relevant to the Steelhead fishery..... plus I wanted to share without starting a new topic....that and I am still somewhat stunned excited over the whole event.

There are plenty of posts in this thread that have nothin to do with river conditions or with fish for that matter.....

I had a 12lb leader and 15lb main line.  I learned alright..... and it was a helluva experience.!!  8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:10:35 AM by bobby b »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

I understand that you are not the first nore will you be the last.
My dig was more directed to the thread in general which in the past concentrated on water and weather.
Having a fishing reports section seems some what redundant when the bulk of the fishers are fishing the Veddar/chilliwak system and not that little jewel known as bug snot slough.
Fish on.
Hope the next one comes to hand. ;)

bobby b

Cheers and thanks…

This one came to hand…. but not to land……Doh!!  Hopefully the 'next one' will be Wed…. I will keep ya's posted!!

Drewhill

Nope.... this is a Steelhead Fishery Information and River Conditions thread

Fishery Information is referring to stuff like closings, openings, changes to regs, etc. Talking about fish you've hooked or caught goes under fishing reports. It's just a way to discourage lurkers.

bobby b

Fine...   

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Great report. I could even feel the adrenaline pumping in your exciting story. LOL. Since I mostly fish pocket water in the rapids in my younger days, I can certainly relate to your fight. Almost all of my fish went into the fast current of the rapids and I had to chase them over rocks and stumps. The excitement of that kind of fight with a large steelhead in fast water is often a memory of a life time, a lot more than hooking one in the lower river in a slow pool or run. My largest wild buck in the 20+ class was hooked in the rapids and it took me down river like a freight train and it was a long way down river before I landed it. So good story there, Bobby. Keep it coming.

Floater

• Old Timer

Upper was about a foot and a half visibility this morning lower was about 6 inches did not even bother fishing lower. Lost my second this season in the upper and nothing more to show for it after maybe i should get bigger hooks lol.
[

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

The excitement of that kind of fight with a large steelhead in fast water is often a memory of a life time,
Great point! Yes, you never forget the epic battles, the memories last a lifetime. I have fished steelhead for 30 + yrs now, and will never forget the steels that have kicked my butt on the rivers. One on the Gold, a couple on the Stamp, Cowichan , Thompson and the most recent one last yr on the Vedd. It is a humbling experience and leaves you shaken to your core. It's what keeps us coming back for more and feeds the addiction.

kanuckle head

No go pro....so here is my running commentary...

Had another late afternoon epic battle yesterday with a huge Steelhead doe.  It hammered down hard on my offering, then run straight for the deep fast current. Pulled me along with it down stream , heading right into the tailout and over the riffle.... after which it got into and under the roots of a tree that had fallen into the river....NOOOOOOOOO!!!! .... I actually managed to get it out of there and the fight was on again.... YEAHHHH...... then it dove right under the roots again.....line tangled up....NOOOOOO..... I got right up to her.....she laid over on her side, beautiful hatchery Doe, just a bit of pink blush on the cheeks....with my free hand I grabbed the tail ( could barely fit my hand around it ) ... and with a great big head shake she broke off and was gone, no way I could hang on to her....NOOOOOOOO..... 

Was a great battle .....  I was completely out of breath and just stunned.  It was at least 15lb if not more.... definitely a derby contender.

So alas..... I have still to actually catch my first Steelhead ever......

Could not stop thinking about it all night. So wish I was not working today.  :o

Thanks for the read on your report. It was a pleasure imagining that happening to me, I'd be like DOH!! big time

Hope ya get the next one 

dave c

Nice read bobby. tks. better luck next time.

Dave

• Old Timer

x2, great report ;)  Best you land the next one or you'll start blaming the rod :)

bobby b

Doh....

Nah...the rod is great Dave.

Cheers and thanks

Tangles

I feel your pain bobby! I had almost the exact same experience last year.
Hooked and played a bullet hatchery doe, easy 10lbs +...but I was on a steep high gravel bank and I just knew I had no way of landing it - too deep to wade in and shore too high for beaching. Now I'm not like some of the guys out there that get 5-7 hookup days fairy often and being it a fish of a thousand casts and not a wild I decided to take my chances. Finally tired her out to lay on her side and then steering left and right as I slowly decend on my butt down the gravel. Tailed and admired her for awhile and as soon as I tried to lift her out of the water the expected thing happend and the fish was on its way :) After watching the whole thing unfold a very nice oldtimer came to me later for a chat and show me what he said he was using with success for many years in situations like this - he had a handmade version of a small gaff. It was basically a foot long piece of cord threaded to an 8/0 barbless hook. He said he would put it around his wrist and literally snag the fish out of the water. He was claiming that if you snag the fish in the belly that somehow paralizes and stuns the fish making it evan easier to retrieve.
Now, I know using a gaff for salmon is illigal and definitely not advocating it, plus how you are gonna explain a CO why your catch has a rip hole in the belly LOL The older fellow was very well aware of that too but he said that's what they used 40 years ago when it was legal and he just carries over with the oldschool ways. Again I like to emphasize that was a VERY knowledgable angler, definitely the type you just stop and listen with ears wide open, just love listening oldtime past experiences.
Cheers and hopefully you get a quick redemption :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:06:40 AM by Tangles »