Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sufix vs Power Pro lines  (Read 5320 times)

fish_on

Sufix vs Power Pro lines
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »

Curious to know what others think of these two lines...both seems to have ultra fine diameter, zero stretch etc. but Sufix cost less than Power Pro.

Thanks.

metalfisherman

Re: Sufix vs Power Pro lines
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

I vote Sufix 832.
Power pro stay way for me.
twisted line easy when i use under 10lb.

Shifter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »

I used the 30lb power pro on my spinning outfit last year, mainly for re usability, strength and casting distance compared to mono.
Not a fan of rewinding line a couple times a year.
Suffix was on sale at crappy tire this week, so I went and bought some 50lb for my baitcaster, had tried the 30lb pp on it, and it seemed to like to dig into the spool under very little pressure, so I wanted to go up to a larger diameter braid to avoid the dig in, hopefully it'll help with birdsnests as well, as I'm a noob to the baitcaster and I want to fish not pick out knots.. lol
I always run a mono section tied to the end of the braid in the event of a snag it will break off relatively easily without leaving a mass of braid floating around the river.
Seems like a decent product, will find out for sure in a month or so, feels like a nicer product than pp.
If it last as well as the power pro did I will be a happy camper.
I think it comes down to personal preference for the most part, reviews online are pretty much back and forth for both pp and suffix.
I got a lot of loops over the tip of my rod last year when setting the hook, with the 30lb pp, so hopefully that doesn't happen this year, especially with my new hmx... :)

fish_on

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:08:43 PM »

Thanks both for the feedback.
Actually bought the Sufix performance fuse 10lb thinking it might be good for the Fraser for the Pinks rather than the mono. Would it be necessary to put pn the backing on the spinning reel prior to loding the S10lb? 

metalfisherman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »

It is depend on reel size.
I think your reel is 2500 or 4000 for pink.
I would say yes. you need backing line.

Shifter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »

Are you talking backing line so that the line doesn't spin on the spool, or for more line on the reel?
I use straight braid, and just put a bit of masking tape on the bare spool before I load it up.
Gives enough for the braid to grab and not slip on the spool, you want to wind it about as tight as you can get it as well.
With the fine diameter 10lb you will have to watch out for spool dig in but if your reel happens to be a newer braid friendly model you shouldn't have to much to worry about.
I guess with your drag set right it shouldn't be much of an issue either way, just watch out you don't slice your finger open if you ever get a snag or pulling a knot tying something on, stuffs like razor wire.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »

an easy way to solve the backing problem is to make a wrap of black electrical tape around the spool previous to spooling up the reel. Tie the braid around the tape with a double wrapped arbor knot. (Use GLOVES) and then proceed to spool on the braid tight. The braid will dig into the tape, this stops all slips and problems.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:04:31 AM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

fish fishburn

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

I put a spool of 30# sufix on my stradic 4000 last week and was really impressed with it. It's nice and limp, casts very  well right out of the box. I have found most braids get better with use
 but this is the first braid that actually I really like fresh off the spool. My opinion is it's way better than pp and a much better price point as well.  Give it a try I think you will be impressed.

fish_on

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »

an easy way to solve the backing problem is to make a wrap of black electrical tape around the spoon previous to spooling up the reel. Tie the braid around the tape with a double wrapped arbor knot. (Use GLOVES) and then proceed to spool on the braid tight. The braid will dig into the tape, this stops all slips and problems.
hey, that's a brilliant idea younggun! \

Is 10# too thin to handle and might cut fingers...should I upsize to equivalent of say 15# mono?

Shifter

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »

You run the risk of cutting yourself with braid no matter what, it's super strong and thin, just be careful.
I cut myself with 30lb braid last year just pulling a knot tight.
If you get a snag, use a piece of wood and wrap the line around it to pull it loose.
Never use a hand, or arm, or any body part to wrap the line around to pull loose.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »

Dont clamp both thumbs down on your spool and pull, you can bend the crank shaft within or even the spool. Usually just wrap a shirt around my arm, its enough of a buffer.
Fish killer 101