Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spey rod  (Read 4560 times)

GENERAL-SHERMAN

spey rod
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »

looking to purchase a new spey setup in the near future something in the 12-13 foot range for steelhead and salmon any opinions on a good setup?

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Re: spey rod
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »

thats a good offer but i am not a fan of ammundson. looking more in the sage or loomis area currently. i just wanted to know peoples opinions on their spey setups before i make a decision on my next big purchase.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »

Sage is over priced  ;) LOL

I fish a Beulah myself and absolutely love it  ;D I also own an Echo which is a good rod but not my favourite of the two.

If you wanna check out rods before buying you should hit the Michael & Young spey clave an April 17th. this way you can try lots of different rods, lines and stuff. even get some casting tips from the pros.

I went last year to check out switch rods, I cast a Sage Z-axis 7110(7wt) and then right after i cast a TFO Deer Creek 7110(also 7wt) the only difference i noticed was the Sage was minimumly lighter in hand, they both cast the same though (with my style at least)

just make sure you shop before dumping the big coin because my first spey setup was horrible for me and i hated it, used it for a couple months and dumped it for a cash loss  :(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bluesteele

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »

Love my Beulahs !  Doing some spring cleaning and maybe, a big MAYBE, :-) putting a 13'6" up for grabs. MAYBE a whole setup dialed in ready to go!
Look for it POSSIBLY in the classifieds here and other forums.

Working on a boat project and doing a little bit of liquadating. Already have a Ross #8 Momentum up for grabs sweet sweet reel !

Anyways General IMHO.. Sage is overpriced(they gotta pay for the big marketing wheel) Loomis not as good as they used to be. I think you will
find most that know the old rods compared to the new will agree. (I say this in terms of all of their rods)

I do own Sage rods but have acquired them at heavy discounts(not an easy thing to do) and would favour them over Loomis.

M&Y clave is a good way to go.

speyghillie

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »

The new range of DTX rods designed by Scott Mackenzie (3 times world distance champion, and full time guide for 23 yrs) will be available in Canada next month, they have been getting a good testing by some of the Pro guides in Smithers over the winter and now its all the guides use.

www.mackenzieflyfishing.com/   if the link is not working just search scott mackenzie speycasting.

The biggest selling Spey rods in the UK by miles, and i will have some for guys to try next month, they are just stunning........ and i've cast a few over the years.
Cheers Gordon.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »

thinking on buying a 7 weight rod. at first i was gonna buy a switch beulah but then i decided that i could do more with a real 2 hander on more rivers. from what i hear the beulah is a good rod but i dont know of any shops that carry them. i guess ill just wait for the spey clave before i empty my wallet :-\ .on a side note any reels to recommend?

bluesteele

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »

thinking on buying a 7 weight rod. at first i was gonna buy a switch beulah but then i decided that i could do more with a real 2 hander on more rivers. from what i hear the beulah is a good rod but i dont know of any shops that carry them. i guess ill just wait for the spey clave before i empty my wallet :-\ .on a side note any reels to recommend?

Hey General
Dont know where your located but Pacific Angler in Vancouver carries Beulah's...Switch/spey etc...

Bluesteele

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »

good to know Bluesteele, thanks for that  ;D now i wont have to ship my rod to Nile Creek fly shop on the island for warranty work (knock on wood) if it ever breaks.

the best thing to do before dumping coin on a spey setup is to hit a Spey Clave and try out LOTS of rods and lines and see what fits you best. Make sure you get one of the pros or semi pros to help you out though because when learning you really dont have a proper "feel" for how a setup should be  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:09:45 AM »

i own a beulah 8/9 classic spey, and the 8/9 switch, don't know what next, maybe the 6wt platinum

they have been the best company to deal with so far.
Fish killer 101

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:05:36 PM »

Although I liked beulah's switch rods their spey rods didn't do much for me. For price and reliability Echo's have been good. If you like the switch rod idea then their 1010 rods are amazing.