Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ucluelet, July 20th 2010  (Read 3675 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Ucluelet, July 20th 2010
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Lots of the Ladz "chum" for us!  :D

LOTS of fish around out there! And a lot in the "Tyee" class wandering up the dock daily! Actually handled a few myself the last little while! A VERY good season underway, and we can expect that to even get Better over the next few weeks!

Life is GOOD!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

nigglesworth

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

one of two WCVI advertisers on our site is Salmon Eye Fishing Charters, which is based in Ucluelet. Their reports lately have pretty much been the same as what Nog is reporting, excellent chinook salmon fishing!
6 years ago we tried Salmon Eye and were VERY disappointed.  We got to the dock for an afternoon fishing trip and the owner, back then it was just the brothers, said that we should go out tomorrow morning instead.  This was to be our first ever trip into the ocean and I was shocked.  We had just driven alll the way from Vancouver and he didn't want to go out?  My dad and I actually had to convince him to take us!  The trip was off to a very bad start.  The owner took us a mile off of the coast, the fishing was bad, and the ventilation on the boat was worse.  We had nausea the entire time because of his old engine. 

Since then we have passed on Ucluelet and spent our money in Tofino at Jay's Clayquot ventures.  We have NEVER been disappointed.  This year we will be going for two trips.  One inshore bucktailing for Coho and the other offshore, in a much nicer boat.  My two cents worth.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »

A Forty-Five PLUS and a Forty-Two wandered up to the scales in Ukee yesterday.  ;D
As did a great handful of some well into the thirties.
Close Banks, shallow.
Big Pilchard spoons The Ticket!  ;)

The Biggies have arrived In Force;D
Time to get out and PLAY!

Running back to Ukee today...EEEHAW Time!  :D

Cheers,
Nog

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »

A Forty-Five PLUS and a Forty-Two wandered up to the scales in Ukee yesterday.  ;D
As did a great handful of some well into the thirties.
Close Banks, shallow.
Big Pilchard spoons The Ticket!  ;)

The Biggies have arrived In Force;D
Time to get out and PLAY!

Running back to Ukee today...EEEHAW Time!  :D

Cheers,
Nog
Hey 'Nog...

When do the boats usually come in from the day and WHERE in Ukee? 

I'm going to be there Sat-Tues but not fishing... wouldn't mind seeing a few hogs comin' off the boats :)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »

Hey 'Nog...

When do the boats usually come in from the day and WHERE in Ukee? 

I'm going to be there Sat-Tues but not fishing... wouldn't mind seeing a few hogs comin' off the boats :)

Hey & Hi Dragon,

What?? Going to Ukee at peak season and NOT fishing?? WHAT? Are you Mad??  :D

The best show is at the Small Craft Harbor, aka Main Boat Basin. The majority of the guides (myself included) are berthed there. Most charters will roll back in beginning around 2 in the afternoon, and up to a couple hours following. Wander the docks as the boats come in, most are quite happy to show off their catch, especially when there is a biggie or two to drool over  ;)

I'll be Ukee likely the entire time you are. Will shoot you a PM with my cell number. Opportunity for a Brew & BS Session if you have the inclination...  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

Don't know if my cooler will be big enough for those numbers... may have to bring two!  ;D

BTW - what is the daily limit per person for Salmon/halibut in thar them neck of waters??
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »

BTW - what is the daily limit per person for Salmon/halibut in thar them neck of waters??

Springs: 2 per day, 4 possession
Coho: 2 Hatchery fish per day, 4 possession
Halibut: Still 1 a day, 2 possession
And an added feature: Fraser Sockeye 4 per day, 8 possession

Note: You may retain ONLY 4 salmon of the varying species per day.

Good Luck!
Nog

doja

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

Hey Nog, can halibuts be taken within a mile or 2 off shore and about what size are they???

Should be heading up there for salmon in September for my first time but am mighty tempted to try for butts but only have a shimono convergnce rod rated 8-17#? I'd think that might be a bit small for them and was thinking of buy a cheap butt rod but only if I have a chance at hitting them as I'm on a students budget for a while and I'm really tight for $$$. I've heard they go out in the summer but I know little about them.

I fish out of a kayak so need to be close to shore... And yes it will handle a large fish easily as it's specifically made for.... FISHING!!!

And is it true the limit will increase for coho in September???

Thanks,

Doja
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:46:22 PM by doja »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »

Hey Nog, can halibuts be taken within a mile or 2 off shore and about what size are they???

Halibut can be taken close to shore, but as a rule that only happens in the Early Spring. Nada there this time of year, so save yourself the effort.

And is it true the limit will increase for coho in September???

Variation Order No. 2010-253

Area 23 Barkley Sound / Alberni Inlet

Effective 00:01 hours June 01 until 23:59 hours July 31, 2010 you may retain 2  coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked)and effective 00:01 hours August 01
until 23:59 hours December 31, 2010 you may retain 4 coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked) in the following waters:

Subareas 23-1, 23-2, 23-3

Effective 00:01 hours June 01 until August 31, 2010 you may retain 2 coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked)and effective 00:01 hours September 01 until
23:59 hours December 31, 2010 you may retain 4 coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked in the following waters:

Subareas 23-4,5,6,9,10 and those portions of sub-areas 23-7,8,11 inside a line (northerly) from Amphitrite Point to the Chrow Island Light, then to the Benson
Island Light, then to the Coaster Channel Light, then to the southwestern tip of Sanford Island, then to Aguilar Point.

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2010 until 23:59 hours August 31, 2010, you may retain two (2) hatchery marked coho per day and effective 00:01 hours September
1, 2010 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2010, you may retain four (4) hatchery marked coho per day in the following waters:

In those portions of Subareas 23-7, 23-8, and 23-11, seaward of a line from Amphitrite Point to the Chrow Island Light, then to the Benson Island Light,
then to the Coaster Channel Light, then to the southwestern tip of Sanford Island, then to Aguilar Point.

Offshore Areas

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2010 until 23:59 hours August 31, 2010, you may retain two (2) hatchery marked coho per day and effective 00:01 hours September
1, 2010 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2010, you may retain four (4) hatchery marked coho per day in the following waters:
Areas 121, 123, 124, 125, 126, and 127

Refer to the following website link for a description of the Area and Subarea maps:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/index-eng.htm

There are some places you'll be able to fish out of a kayak from Ukee. Shoot me a PM in that regard. For the Love Of God, do NOT wander out offshore! Too many casualties this year already!!

Cheers,
Nog

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:51:45 AM »

Well, the weather's lookin' fine.  i'm looking forward to seeing an ocean fish.  Word has they are so silver it hurts your eyes :D

cohojoe

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »

you lucky fisherman

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »

Haven't downloaded my own pix yet, went to the lake with the hounds to escape the heat instead.
But... I happened to notice one of the Ladz that was just out with me posted some pretty fine footage on his own blog. Here's a hint of what it is like out there Right Now:

http://www.ramblingfisherman.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s52ERa5m24c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lk84AwiH0

WOW ain't even the word! Incredible comes a little closer! INSANITY even closer yet! Loads of Biggy springs about, FAST and FURIOUS Action, and a handful of large halibut for good measure! Wickedly Great Times on the Big Pond these days!  ;)

Pretty well booked up, but the odd spot on the Dance Card left (was holding them for "off" days, but the fishing is simply too damn good to let them sit!) Drop me a line, or load up your rig! The time is NOW!!  8)

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »

Back to The Madness today! EEEHAW!  ;D

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »

I am so much looking forward to the coming weekend....  ;D

What is the weather forecast for the weekend out there looking like?
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

What is the weather forecast for the weekend out there looking like?

Good: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=16200

Even with today's Gale Warning, it is "gusting" THREE mph on a 1.1 meter sea. Sweet!  ;D
Weekend even looks better! Sweeter!  ;D ;D

ENJOY!  :D
Nog