Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 26th 2009  (Read 5560 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, September 26th 2009
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »

What a gong show ! Driving into Chilliwack over the Keith Wilson Bridge this morning there were cars everywhere and people elbow to elbow. Every run we fished had fishermen. As others have reported there pinks everywhere. I would say the vast majority were past their prime and not worthy of table fare but that didn't prevent people from retaining them. :( 95% of the pinks hooked that we saw were either foul hooked or deliberately snagged. Aside from the pinks we saw one chum and one chinook caught. A person doing creel reports said a 40+ spring was caught yesterday.

On another negative, one of FWR members and a few of his friends were out snagging and retaining pinks. >:( :( Sad

silverslab

Re: Chilliwack River, September 26th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »

I would call them out on the site if they are members, maybe a little public humiliation would do them some good >:(

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »

I was out with a buddy until noon today. We found a spot in the upper where we were all alone very peaceful all morning.  Lots of pinks past their prime but we did get a spring jack and I lost a very chrome coho. Beautiful day to be out.

FA how do you know he is an FWR member?

On my drive back down I managed to see the gong show. All the usual spots were just packed with cars. Driving over the KWB I say the crowds lining the river.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »

I would call them out on the site if they are members, maybe a little public humiliation would do them some good >:(

Don't even go there, for obvious reasons.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »

Ya it was pretty busy on the river today, i was out with my buddy, mid/upper river. We tried the fly early on but soon gave up as it was resulting in snagging too many pinks. Turned to drifting roe and landed a nice jack spring.
Beautiful weather out there today, too bad the wife won't let me go tomorrow, would have liked to be there again to hunt for some coho and help with the clean up.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »

FA how do you know he is an FWR member?

He posted a picture of himself with a fish on this forum.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »

He posted a picture of himself with a fish on this forum.

Guess that was his mistake.

I don't know what to think of this. I guess some people are more desperate for fish than others. A person on this forum has no excuse for snagging fish as they are informed as this topic is discussed in great lengths. I dont even want to know who it is as that person already knows who he is and hopefully this thread will just wake him up and he changes his ways.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »

That 40+ spring was more like a 35-37 pounder, But still one big fat hooked nosed pig.  :)
The Bigger The Better!

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 09:43:29 PM »

I had a pretty good day too.
I was just out for a couple of hours this afternoon...mostly scouting.
I dropped my 14 inch leader with fresh roe amongst the snaggers fishing without floats in a nice deep run and had a beautiful 6 lb Dolly Varden slam it. The roe was practically inhaled by it. It was nice to see the tongues hit the dirt when that happened.
What even got them going more was when I released it. 3 different people shouted at me why didn't I bonk it? I just looked at them and said, "do you not read the regs?"
Anyways....anytime I can get into a 6lb Dolly for the efforts of a few casts, its a good day for me.
Landed a nice Spring too (he also inhaled the roe).....let him go as well. I sometimes think that catch and release on the Vedder is becoming less common.
Seen many pinks dragged up on the sandy banks. They have to walk soooo far back on the shore because of their huge leaders.
People have no clue.... ???

mr.p

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »

Also out today.  Fished the full day.  Morning was great.  Got into numerous fish including a 4-5# wild ho.  Lots of pinks today on roe. 
The bite died off around 1030.  It was a pretty slow afternoon.  Things picked up again in the evening.  Ended the day with two big springs.
It was by far the busiest I've seen it this year. 
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

funpig

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

First day on the Vedder this season and first time flyfishing for pinks.  Fished the canal with buddy in the morning just up river from the highway bridge.  There was tons of room;  no crowds, no snaggers that I could see and very friendly guys down at that end.   I was fly fishing with just a bit of pinky peach wool and had lots of pink action. Had lunch and then fished Allison Pools, lots of room there too.  The pinks were really stacked up but it was difficult to get them to bite.  At about 5:30 pm, we stopped by Lickman.  Quite crowded (although people were just leaving) and a few people snagging.   

Today, altogether, I hooked 20+ pinks (about 20% accidently snagged), landed and released 10+ pinks, and kept 1 pink near the end of the day from Allison pool.  It was a male which was surprisingly fresh for an upriver fish with almost no hump.  All of the canal and Lickman males had huge humps.  My buddy kept one female pink from Lickman.  I did not see anybody catch any coho or springs all day.

I saw on the other Vedder mouth thread from today made the comment that most pinks caught today were male and very few females.  I noticed the same thing throughout the river.  Hooked males outnmbered hooked females about 5 to 1.  Is it just that the males are more agressive biters, or are we overfishing the females?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:04:40 PM by funpig »

skunked

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:37:41 PM »

I'm sure it has to have something to do with most people taking the females over males leaving more male fish in the system and the fact the natives raping the females for the roe isn't going to leave alot and look at the snagfest they have to make it through =/

hookme

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:08:32 AM »

Fish the canal first light no ho's biting lots of pink and clean one to, Then Bump into one guys he claim he's a newbie in the vedder his second weekend, obvious cause of the way he cast. For 2 hours most people limit out but this newbie guys haven't caught a single pink and saying he'll be going home before 11:am ....it's 10:30 AM I decided to gave him some of my fresh pink. by  10:50 AM he was saying this is he's "Last Cast!"   ..Then..Boom!!..a 38 lbs Spring jump in front of us with his hook on the mouth and manage to land it.... We all chock :-[

nosey

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »

Lots of people on this forum strongly support snagging springs in the Fraser, I can see no reason to be shocked by seeing them out snagging pinks in the Vedder.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »

The migrating species of Pacific salmon travell in groups of males which are the first to enter the river,then followed by groups of females. This pattern of groups of males then females will be why we will catch groups of males for a time then females will get caught thereafter.

Later on as the Springs,chums and cohos are present,throught the day you will notice that fish will travel up river in the order mentioned ( springs,then chums, then cohos ). Males will alway preceed the females of the species.
It ain't the roe bro'