Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: corkies for coho  (Read 17337 times)

dave c

corkies for coho
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »

Hi Guys;  I've been fishing the Vedder the last couple weeks, with good success on Chums, and Jack Springs using a Orange#10 Corkie with Orange and Hot Pink yarn, but no Coho.  Are there certain colors Coho prefer?  Thanks in advance

Brian the fisherman

Re: corkies for coho
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »

use fresh roe, not a fraser river flossing setup.
and only small bits first light. as soon as the afternoon hits most fish are tight lipped.
Tight lines to all

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »

18" leader, and 6" to 24" from float to swivel as well

Electroman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »

Try fishing the whole run as well. The head, the middle and the tail out. Keep scouting around and you'll find what works for you.

dave c

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »

I've been using an 18" leader on flourocarbon 8lb test.  I DON'T floss and resent the allegation.  I also use roe but have found when everyone around me is using roe, its effective to offer something else.  The corkies work well but was just wondering if there was a colour combination that coho were more apt to strike.  I know when throwing spoons or spinners they seem to prefer green or blue but wasn't sure if this colour combo would be effective for Corkies / Yarn as well.   >:(

Electroman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »

Dave
Guys get excited about things they are passionate about. Don't forget what assume does. Never done the corkie things myself. My go to stuff is roe, blades, and pink wool.

dave c

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

Tks Electroman.... I've been fishing for over 40yrs.  but recently just moved to Mission.  First year fishing the Vedder.  I like to think of myself as a true sportsman and follow all the proper ediquette on the river.  It just burns me when I ask a valid question, and just because my approach differs someone elses they penn me as a flosser.  I've also used a single Jensen Egg with wool, but liked the look of the Corkie.  I wasn't aware that using them was frowned upon.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »

It's not frowned upon... Guys just jump the gun..
In the sockeye flossing fishery it is quite common to peg a corkie on the end of your long leader to keep it up off the bottom better.
Lots of guys use corkies, more so during steelhead season.
I myself can't offer any info on corkies for coho however I would think a small egg colored corkie with a bit of wool could work.

Electroman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »

Neither did i Dave. Some guys figure everyone is flossing and snagging

dave c

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »

Tks Noahs Arc.  Its interesting you mentioned guys use them for steelheading, as that is my intention as well.  I prefer to use artificial offerings (more of a challenge).  I like the fact that you can retrieve after your drift quicker, thus having your offering in the water longer.......no need to put more bait on. Thanks for your encouragement. ;)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »

I like the Fact that in most cases Bait out fishes anything else, and in the end results in more fish. Which is what everyone is after... Sure go ahead and throw a corky on and keep your hands dry.
The Bigger The Better!

ja

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

A couple seasons ago I was using a corkie with a bit of wool. I also caught springs, but no coho with that setup.

dave c

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »

I like the Fact that in most cases Bait out fishes anything else, and in the end results in more fish. Which is what everyone is after... Sure go ahead and throw a corky on and keep your hands dry.
And while u r rebaiting I get in two more drifts!!!!!!!!!!! Worms for trout fishing too!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »

For me I find that tiny wool ties, corkies, single eggs, Jensens or any similar small presentations are only consistently successful for Coho fished deep and dead drift in faster water, especially in tailouts with rising water and lots of moving fish. They come in fresh to the pool rest in depressions or behind rocks and often seem to peck at small brightly coloured presentations as they go speeding past. I would go smallest size, hot pink, size 4 hook, short 12-14'' leader but set your float deep so the weights ticking bottom frequently and do not hold back the drift at all. An older guy turned me on to this last year and in the right conditions its very effective and a legit way to fish. I would not bother with corkies for Coho right now, they get way to much of a look at it in these conditions and blades or roe would be your best bet. Not a very popular opinion on here I'm sure but you can slay almost as many chum short floating a tuft of wool or corky than a 3 dollar jig and that learning how and when to fish all the different artificial under a number of different conditions is more interesting than mindlessly short floating bait and will make you a better rod IMO.

dave c

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

For me I find that tiny wool ties, corkies, single eggs, Jensens or any similar small presentations are only consistently successful for Coho fished deep and dead drift in faster water, especially in tailouts with rising water and lots of moving fish. They come in fresh to the pool rest in depressions or behind rocks and often seem to peck at small brightly coloured presentations as they go speeding past. I would go smallest size, hot pink, size 4 hook, short 12-14'' leader but set your float deep so the weights ticking bottom frequently and do not hold back the drift at all. An older guy turned me on to this last year and in the right conditions its very effective and a legit way to fish. I would not bother with corkies for Coho right now, they get way to much of a look at it in these conditions and blades or roe would be your best bet. Not a very popular opinion on here I'm sure but you can slay almost as many chum short floating a tuft of wool or corky than a 3 dollar jig and that learning how and when to fish all the different artificial under a number of different conditions is more interesting than mindlessly short floating bait and will make you a better rod IMO.
Finally an answer with the advise I was looking for.  TKS