Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help deciding on a new rod!  (Read 4789 times)

Ssypark

• addicted
Need help deciding on a new rod!
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:56:46 AM »

Hey all,
I've been looking to get a new rod. I currently have a 6 wt 9ft Sage Vantage and a 3wt 7'6ft Cabela's Three Forks rod. I've found myself using the 3 wt much more often a a perfect match for the size of fish in our local stocked lakes and small streams but the short length and light line is difficult to cast indicator rigs and in the wind. After some research, I've landed on either Cabelas CZN 4wt 10 ft (or should I go 11ft?) OR the Orvis Clearwater 10ft 4 wt. I have not casted either of the rods but they both sound fantastic according to the reviews.

In the past, I had to send in the Sage for repair and it nearly took 6-7 weeks for the whole process to complete. Where as when I needed something replaced for Cabela's I can visit the store in Tulallip and get it exchanged first hand. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long for Orvis.

My question is, do any of you have any experience with these rods and dealing with these companies for their warranty? both rods cost around $199. And do any of you have any other suggestions for a rod of this wt and length?

tight lines everyone

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Need help deciding on a new rod!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »

--I think you answered your own question... if you're happy with service from Cabela's and it is your closest dealer I'd stick with them and their products.
--Any rod you have to send via mail for warrenty is going to take at least as long as Sage by the time it gets to where it is going, turn around and come back... especially if it has to cross the boarder there is no guarantee on time... it has little to do with the company and more to do with the delivery system that is out of their hands.
--I stick with products from local sources and that I can actually demo before I purchase... on line search is OK but how it feels to you is more important than what someone else reccomends.
--I don't know of any Rod company that you will not find on line complaint about warrenty as well as praise from others about the same product.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »

there is a Cabelas in Tulalip ? thought closest was Lacey

Sage has one of the longest turn arounds out there. I love my Sage trout rods however i hate the 6-8week warranty service. If you like the Cabelas rods then i think thats a good option or you could try other places like Allen fly fishing for example, ive heard good things about his products but have only tried out some hooks i was testing which were great quality
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »

are u using the cabeles czn for czech nymphing witch is what they are mad for or are using it as cronomid rod

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »

i am planning to use it for stillwater chironomids and river indicator fishing

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

I would think any rod thats designed for czech nymphing would make a great indicator rod. Your casting indicators nymphing which means you should already be throwing more open loops just like you would on the lake.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »

if u are indicator fishing vreeks i would chek out the sage 99 that what its mad for give it a look

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:02:13 AM »

thanks for all your suggestions but im looking something around the $200 price range.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »

I just picked up a Redington Pursuit for a hundred bucks and change. It is really a nice little 4 weight, although only 9 foot, but is enough rod for Bigger trout, but still plays a stocked fella nicely. For the price, I love it.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

kalex60

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »

Take a look at the pieroway element series beautiful rod and a good price