Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: does anyone know where i might find a hatch chart for the lower mainland?  (Read 2641 times)

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers

I am wanting to know how to match hatches and thought something like a hatch chart would help alot if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great
thanks

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?

First I don't know of any. Second I wouldn't put much faith in one anyway. I always get a good laugh when someone is bold enough to try and predict a hatch. Hatches are regulated by water and air temperature and who can tell you what that will be year to year. Time and calendars are a product of man; nature does not recognize any rules or regulations we try to impose.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers

makes sense

BOWHUNTER

First and most valuble tool you can buy is a stomach pump, just get one fish on your typical searching patterns then give it a pump it its at least 12" long and see what its been eating, take notes and they can help every year,

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing

I have a hatch chart I am willing to share, but as has been stated, they are only guidelines. Depending on weather, elevation, barometric pressure, etc... things can change alot, so use any chart as a guideline only, otherwise you will be disappointed.

A Fishermans best hatch chart is paying attention to what is happening on the lake at the time you are there, get to know how to ID the bugs, there life cycles, where they live, then just pay attention to what is going on around you and figure out what to use from there.

If you want a copy of the chart, e-mail me at rick@rp3flyfishing.com.

This is a chart I made up over the years, and I use it for many of my presentations.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif