Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angler's West Fishermen Helping Fishermen  (Read 3840 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Angler's West Fishermen Helping Fishermen
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:05:54 PM »

Picked up a 101/2' Trophy rod for $40.00 from Angler's West Fishermen Helping Fishermen. Anybody else attended ?

Bantam_50

Re: Angler's West Fishermen Helping Fishermen
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:22:49 PM »

I'd of gone and got one, but our soccer boys need the practise.  ;)

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 11:36:16 PM »

I was planning to attend and get myself one, but it just happens to be "meet the teachers" nite at my son's school   :(

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 12:01:02 AM »

Yep, I was there... got there about 10 to 6 and it wasn't bad.  I brought a friend so I could get in on both specials.  By the time we left at 6:15 there were probably 20 people lined up outside the door.  Word definitely got around.

So what kind of reel would work well on the Trophy XL TG6105LC "River Salmon Line" rod?  Could I use it for mooching in the salt, or should I just put on my fire retardant suit right now?   ;D

And I tried to ask the folks there about an 8 weight fly rod to go with the 7/8 fly reel, but they were just run off their feet.  I was thinking of the Temple Fork Outfitters low end 9 foot 8 weight that runs about $110-120 at most shops, but they didn't have that one in stock.  They had other TFO rods but I'm not ready to drop $400+ on a rod.  Am I on the right track or is there anything else with the same bang for the buck?

reach

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 12:18:43 AM »

So what kind of reel would work well on the Trophy XL TG6105LC "River Salmon Line" rod?

Any bait caster will go well with the rod such as an Ambassador or a Shimano Calcutta

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 01:13:47 AM »

Reach, you sure can use that Trophy rod for mooching in the salt.. It would be a perfect match with a Shimano TRD 20...

For your second question about the fly rod.  Yes, you can use a 7/8 reel for an 8wt fly rod.. But the only down side to it is the backing capacity.   If your reel now, can hold about 150 yard of 20lb backing with a WF/7F line.. that reel would be fine for any 8 wt line with 120 yead of 20lb backing.  As for your TFO rod.. they are great, i used the 9' 8wt, 9wt and 10wt for bucktailing agaist coho and chinook.. i don;t have any problem with it.. Lots of back bone, lots of lifting power.. Nothing more you can ask for the rod comes in life time warrenty and less than 100 bucks.  good luck fishing...

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 05:09:33 AM »

Reach I sent you a PM . This TFO rod sounds pretty good though :)
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 09:20:23 AM »

Thanks all.  I think if I cough up a bit of extra cash for the super fine backing I should be able to fit enough on the 7/8 reel.  If not, well, I guess I just won't be catching any trophy Springs.   :)