Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Freshwater Fish Species ID Field Guide  (Read 1723 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
BC Freshwater Fish Species ID Field Guide
« on: February 06, 2021, 09:27:20 AM »

When we did a give-away a month ago on my YouTube channel, many of you were asking where you can buy this BC freshwater fish species identification guide. Well, I am happy to announce that the guide can now be purchased online! This guide contains 90 fish species found in British Columbia (69 native freshwater species, 4 marine species found in freshwater at times, and 17 introduced species). My good friend Dr Eric Taylor co-published this as a quick reference for anglers, educators and nature lovers when identifying fish at the rivers and lakes. All proceeds go toward Beaty Biodiversity Museum! In addition, there is also a "Fish Sorter" app which you can purchase and download onto your phone! This app is the digital version of the field guide and allows you to identifying the species by looking through a series of pictures. This app will be updated regularly, with new photos added from contributors like myself.

To purchase either the field guide or app, please go to:
https://beatymuseum.ubc.ca/research-2/collections/fish-collection/fish-identification-guides/

Snagly

Re: BC Freshwater Fish Species ID Field Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 10:44:20 PM »

I just bought the app and have an easy suggestion: alongside the Latin names in the TOC, please also provide the common English name(s). If I think I caught a Longnose Sucker, I want to be able to search on that basis rather than remember "Catostomidae" is the family name.

Thanks
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: BC Freshwater Fish Species ID Field Guide
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 10:47:22 PM »

ok I will pass that suggestion along. I already made a few suggestions to them a couple of weeks ago, so there will most likely lots of changes and improvements as this app gets developed.