Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scotty's Vedder River Rats Steelhead Derby-anyone interested?  (Read 13849 times)

drh

Scotty's Vedder River Rats Steelhead Derby-anyone interested?
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »

Hi FWR Members,I mentioned to my fishin buddy Scott Saturday that the derby on the web site I'm on is likely cancelled,and he said he'd be okay with me posting a ivite here.
It's being held on March 12 this year so as not to overlap with the Outdoor show. He asks for $25.00 pre-paid before the derby day and for that you'll receive a derby ball cap when you show up at the weigh in by 4 p.m and 3 top prizes for the 3  Biggest fish will be awarded if your one of the lucky ones.Then about 40 random draw prizes based on derby ticket #s
If interested send me a pm or email me at>drh1962@gmx.com< and I'll give you Scott's cell #

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Scotty's Vedder River Rats Steelhead Derby-anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »

Not me.
Fishing derbies are a disgrace to our sport. They don't contribute anything to the welfare of our rivers or fish - if anything, there is a lot more garbage around after a derby day. >:(

How about we all show up at the next cleanup instead and do some fishing afterwards?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »

I would if it were the next day, sundays are my only river days  :(
what kinda prizes is there?
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

Not me.
Fishing derbies are a disgrace to our sport. They don't contribute anything to the welfare of our rivers or fish - if anything, there is a lot more garbage around after a derby day. >:(

How about we all show up at the next cleanup instead and do some fishing afterwards?

Absolutely fishing derby's are evil.. imagine the nerve of anglers wanting to get together and have a great time steelhead fishing and promoting the sport in a positive manner. I particularly dislike the derby's that donate to worthy fishing related charities from the proceeds. Any angler that enters a derby is clearly a disgrace to fishing. ::)

Just when I think I have heard it all....

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »

Absolutely fishing derby's are evil.. imagine the nerve of anglers wanting to get together and have a great time steelhead fishing and promoting the sport in a positive manner. I particularly dislike the derby's that donate to worthy fishing related charities from the proceeds. Any angler that enters a derby is clearly a disgrace to fishing. ::)

If all the money is going towards prizes and none to conservation or restoration projects I agree with Milo. The killing of all the fish would be just to pound some chests and get some prizes.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »

I have to agree with Milo and bbronswyk2000, if the monies collected are going back into the resource that's great otherwise it's just feeding egos.

x2

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »

Iin the original post there is no mention whatsoever of moneys going to any fishery enhancement projects or to the resource in any way.
It all seems to be about prizes prizes prizes...so that the guys can snap a few pics or videos, pump their fists and pound their chests. ::)
A disgrace I tell you.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »

Sounds like fun, I'm hoping to make it out.

Curious why others are so opposed to a fishing derby?, I mean what is wrong with a little friendly competition? Maybe it's me but I've always enjoyed challenging others in sport whether that be baseball, hockey, or fishing. Call me crazy but I don't consider hitting a homerun, scoring a goal or catching biggest fish to be chest pounding at all.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:16:49 AM »

I don't have a problem with a derby. It's not as if they're keeping wild steelhead.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »

Sounds like fun, I'm hoping to make it out.

Curious why others are so opposed to a fishing derby?, I mean what is wrong with a little friendly competition? Maybe it's me but I've always enjoyed challenging others in sport whether that be baseball, hockey, or fishing. Call me crazy but I don't consider hitting a homerun, scoring a goal or catching biggest fish to be chest pounding at all.

In those sports your not killing anything plus it does not take money to keep the sport going. This fishery that everyone enjoys on the Vedder or any other hatchery enhanced river takes money to make it sustainable. The more money to the hatcheries and restoration means more fishing opportunities. Now if their is no money than that means no fish.

I played competitive sports most of my life. To me fishing is not a competitive sport. Its a relaxing hobby that I enjoy with friends.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »

Have I read this right?

Derbies are bad because  A) The participants leave a mess on the river

B) Hatchery steelhead are killed

C) No moneys are given to the hatchery to help with the rearing costs associated with steelhead.

Absolute rubbish, how do you guys come up with this stuff?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:52:20 AM »

Have I read this right?

Derbies are bad because  A) The participants leave a mess on the river

B) Hatchery steelhead are killed

C) No moneys are given to the hatchery to help with the rearing costs associated with steelhead.

yes all good points. But consider the following
A)a river cleanup could be held the next day, or everyone that brings back a bag of garbage from the river get a consolation prize.
B)hatchery steelhead are a put and take fish they are ment to be kept, even tho i release 9 out of 10 hatcheries.
C)50% of procedes can go to the hatchery or other fish enhancing cause and the other 50 % could be for prizes. This money is from your entry fees.

I have been im many derbies and they have all gone great, and most of them I have trohies from sitting on my shelf, which cost little to make and is a good alternmative instead of prizes.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »

We look to you for inspiration.

Chromie

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:37 AM »

Lucky I think with points B and C you have described 90% of vedder anglers