Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CO serving up attitude?  (Read 4820 times)

Chrome Mykiss

CO serving up attitude?
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »

I mentioned on another post that I recently got checked for an angling license, which is good to see. However, I was surprised by the attitude this particular conservation officer had towards me ??? After asking me for my driver's license he asked me "I'd like to check your hook". I showed him my hook, which was a Partridge #6 Nordic tube fly hook with the barb crushed down flat. He looked at it for a couple of minutes very carefully, than he said "Yes, this will pass as being barbless", in a sarcastic manner. The officer than asked me "What is in your knapsack?". I said "Just fly boxes, sink tips and leader material". He than said "So your telling me if I look in your knapsack I won't find a fish?". I was shocked at the accusation, I said "No, of course not, would you like to have a look inside it?". The officer said "No, it's okay you look like a believable guy". I couldn't understand why he had an almost predetermined judgement on me. I have never seen or met this conservation officer before. I just thought his line of questioning and attitude was totally unnecessary  :-\ Makes me wonder if it was because of my race, age, that I am not a local or that I was using a speyrod  ??? Perhaps I was matching the description of someone who wasn't following the regulations  :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:21:31 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: CO serving up attitude?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »

He's probably power tripping. I would write a letter to his District Manager explaining his actions.

Check out his thread:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1953273#post1953273

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »

Could have been a rookie guy with poor technique ? They hired a new batch of recriuts a while ago no ?

I dont think what he did was wrong, he was just trying to shake you up.  One guy questioned our group and wouldnt stop asking about the dollies we had for lunch ???? Kept saying how did the dollies taste ?
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »

Its cause your a poacher.  :o  Just kidding, I am sure its something to do with cops being cops, and they are just like that.  But this brings up a good question for me.  Why do you need a drivers license to fish?  I understand that it is just to verify that you are who you say you are, but this isn't a military dictatorship... so we don't need to carry a passport or ID everywhere we go.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »

some co's are just dicks......wanna-be cops.

I would have said , no you cant look in my bag.

CHUMHUNTER

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »

Best not to play around with them as they can get nasty and you will lose everytime. Sounds like they tried to get you riled up and were trying to trip you up. I hate that when they have a new book and want to fill the pages.

mattmckay

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »

He probably used to work in Port Alberni

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

They are going to do that more and more from now on,cause they know a lot of guys bought their license on line can be cheated,so remember bring your id with you,and dont try to be a tough guy,you are going to lose out regardless.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »

He probably used to work in Port Alberni

Matt, is that how you guys hide your steelhead over there? In a back pack? ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »

I've had the opposite experience with CO's and DFO.  Remember, there are a lot of people out there who think that the rules don't apply to them....CO's and DFO are outnumbered and frustration levels are probably high.  People who are uncooperative or show disrespect only make matters worse.  I'm always cooperative and at the end of the conversation I never feel like I'm being accused of anything, in fact, I'll often ask them about areas we're headed to, if they have run into anyone else, bears, etc. so the encounter is almost always a positive one.   Of course, with any job that requires people to assume an authority role, you're going to find some people that enter the job for the power.....I've met maybe one CO like that in well over 20 checks.  Don't get me started with VPD though!

norm_2

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 12:01:23 PM »

When I have been stopped, they usually look at my hook and my license.  Exactly what can CO's ask to see?  Is there something written in the regulations?  Thanks.

CustomRetrieval

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

As far as I can tell you do not have to produce a drivers license or similar to a C.O. when he is acting under the Wildlife Act. It turns out that C.O.s are pretty powerful though. They are also given power by the Land Act, Firearm Act, and Environmental Management Act among others. They have many powers that a peace officer does. Can a cop just ask you to produce id at any time? I've had enough of wading through the legalese for a while.

Conclusion: Recognize that the CO is just trying to do his job, and rather than take offense to perceived attitude comply as best you can while recognizing that you want him to be there doing his job.(at least, I hope you do)

From the MOE website:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/#Older
If you are 16 years of age or older

* You must have a valid basic licence to sport fish for any species of fish in non-tidal waters (including salmon).
    * You must purchase appropriate supplementary licences and stamps.
    * You must carry your licence while sport fishing and, if asked, produce it for inspection by a Conservation Officer, Fishery Officer, RCMP constable, Park Ranger in a park, or an Officer under the Wildlife Act .

From the BC Wildlife Act:
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/W/96488_01.htm

Quote from: Section 97
Production of licence or permit

97  If a person who is required to hold a licence, permit or limited entry hunting authorization issued under this Act

(a) fails to produce it for inspection to an officer on request, or

(b) fails or refuses to state his or her name and address to an officer on request,

the person commits an offence.

Quote from: Section 95
Officers empowered to stop vehicles

95  (1) An officer may, for the purposes of this Act, stop a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft or boat or other vehicle to determine whether or not the occupants of the vehicle have been hunting, trapping or angling, and to obtain information about wildlife or game fish possessed by them.

(2) A person commits an offence under subsection (1) if the person

(a) fails to stop,

(b) fails to identify himself or herself when requested to do so by the officer,

(c) refuses to give information respecting hunting or fishing, or

(d) being the driver or operator of a motor vehicle, in or on which there is wildlife or game fish or an article or device that may be used for hunting, trapping or fishing, fails, refuses or neglects to stop his or her motor vehicle when signalled or requested to stop by an officer who is in his or her uniform of office or displays his or her official badge.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

are they aloud to search your camper or vehical?

I had them ask me to look in my camper freezer.  It was lunch time and i was in the middle of making food.
I wasn't a happy camper. 

CustomRetrieval

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »

are they aloud to search your camper or vehical?

because I just read it, the short answer is yes. the long answer is:
Quote from: Section 91
Inspection of camps

91  An officer may inspect a camp occupied by a hunter or angler.

Quote from: Section 93
Search without warrant

93  A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant,

(a) search a person whom he or she believes on reasonable grounds has in his or her possession any wildlife or fish killed, taken or possessed in violation of this Act or the regulations, or about to be illegally exported,

(b) stop and search a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft, boat or other conveyance, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is being carried by a person, and

(c) enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located.

mr.pink

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

its a tough job,people lie,bend the truth.after awhile it must get hard to be ciivil,not that,thats any excuse.maybe he was just having a bad day,although it doesn't seem he was too bad,cheers.