Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing for pinks  (Read 9742 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: fly fishing for pinks
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »

the sink tip i use for pinks with my 5wt rod is actually cut from an old 8wt super sink line, i just cut off a section that was evenly tapered for 15 feet and made my own loops at each end. I doubt you would have any issues if you chopped the sinking tip portion of your line off and used it as a sink tip with your 8wt, being that its a clear tip i would use heavy (20-30lb) to create the loops on each end OR buy some Uni-Mono thread in a heavy size and create the loop yourself by doubling the line back on itself and covering with tying thread, whip finish several times throughout the process and then coat with a flexible glue like Aquaseal or UV Knotsense

You might find the sink tip end will be shorter than most sink tips, might be anywhere between 10-13 feet usually and sink tips come 15feet for the most part.

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »

Hi again ,

So, I ended up finally picking up a Rio 8wt. type 6 tip and gathered more furs and feathers including size 6 streamer hooks(2XL). Attempted to tie a clouser last night with bucktail in chartreuse and had a difficult time securing them to the hook. Perhaps a 8/0-6/0 thread is just too thin and weak. As well, I had a problem with the dear hair trying to have them all line up at the tips.
  Today, I finally caved and picked a fur/feather stacker and that should alleviate one problem. My question to you guys, what type thread are you all using to secure deer hair and do you slowly build up the wings? Will the "Uni", "Danville" or any other brand work better? As well, I heard about "Kevlar Threads". Where can I pick up some?  On you tube, everyone makes it look so easy!!! Thanks...

Mike
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 06:49:45 PM »

I use 6/0 thread just fine when tying clousers. While holding the bucktail in place with one hand I use light pressure for the first couple wraps to hold in place and then increase the tension as give it a few more wraps to secure it.

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »

Hey BNF861,

I will give her a go again later tonight when everyone's asleep so that no one gets overwhelmed with the mess. Perhaps it's my inexperience dealing with deer hair that's making the securing a little much. I'll give the 6/0 UNI a try again. Thanks for the quick response!

Mike

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »

DO NOT stack your bucktail because you want the tips to vary in length

I personally like using 3/0 thread because i can use less wraps because its thicker and stronger, i have used 6/0 and 8/0 before though.

to secure the bucktail down hold it TIGHTLY in your one hand and make 2 loose wraps, while still holding tightly pull the thread tight and then make a few tight wraps. while you do this do not allow the bucktail to spin around the hook shank which is why i said to continue holding onto it.

if you want to spin or roll deer hair use the same two loose wraps and as you tighten let go of the hair and it should mostly spin around the shank, if it doesnt completely roll evenly then just help it along with your fingers. This is what you do for rolled muddlers.

im sure if you look up tying a clouser on youtube you will get some videos showing how easy these are to tie. I tie mine so that they are nearly unbreakable and usually toss them because the eyes get loose and will start shifting or spinning around the hook shank (normally after loads of fish). I can tie these in around 5mins usually
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »

Hello HOOK,steelie-slayer,JAwrey,BNF861,

Just wanted to thank all of you for your help with tips on fly fishing for pinks! I was out a couple of times last week and had one of the best fishing experiences I've had with my friend at the Vedder River. Anyways, ended up tying a bunch of size 10, copper bead headed chartreuse flies and it did some magic! It's interesting that most of the takes were very subtle and all or most were during the retrieve. I found the Chartreuse outperformed for the pinks but did end up landing a few with a coho fly i modified with a royal blue in the size 10. I made some renditions of "The Christmas Tree" and can't wait to try it out during my next trip!
  Anyways, a little thanks to all of you for your input as it helped immensely on the river...;D

Mike SL

BTW. Both 6 weight and 8 weight St. Croix rods were used and outfitted with Type 3 and Type 6 sink tips during the two days fly fishing. A must have...