Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cheaper alternative for a multip line  (Read 9420 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: cheaper alternative for a multip line
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »

instead of buying the Versitip system , i made my own.  I bought a WF 8wt line, and made my own sink tips out of some type 3 sinking line. On all of them i had too make the loops, so i made em with 20lb fly line backing, they look something like this

Sink Tip

Main Line

Connected

Thanks for some of the insite, it helped alot guys, cheers, Blackgivesway2blue ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »

Looks good, let us know how it works for you.  One thing I will add, if  there is a hinging effect on where you join the loops, I would recommend just folding back the flyline make a small loop, and nail knot it securely.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 03:56:25 PM »

Nice thing about the Rio or Airflo, whatever system you go with is that it has been balanced and is made for casting as a multi-tip.  When you take a floating line and just tack a length of sink or intermediate sink on the end, it may or may not cast as well as something purpose-built and tested.

But, if you can get something to work well, go for it... you might even make something that works better than the commercially available stuff.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »

--Marmot instead of tacking on the end you can cut back the floating head and make it part of the tip system.
--also can strip fly line coating with assetone and use the core to make the loop.
--also use knot sense or other soft glue to smooth out the knot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:08:00 PM by skaha »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »

Thanks Skaha,

yeah I was commenting on that because someone had mentioned that most dry lines come with a loop on the end already...suggesting just adding on line to that.

If it's not a weight forward line it wouldn't really matter how far you cut it back or if you cut it back at all (apart from how much space it took up on the spool) but with a weight forward I would think it would be important that you had any of the taper gone...no?