Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whip Tricks  (Read 5125 times)

FishLegs

Re: Whip Tricks
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 12:14:59 AM »

Video is unavailable now - private. I thought I would see some spey rod tricks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 06:27:33 AM »

it was a lot of nothing if you ask me. Worst part is having a look leaves my you tube feed loaded with foreign language videos of the same mess around Tamihi Falls. I guess I should go to night school to learn a new language.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO_eQ4h7-cE

He is being quite brave speaking like this. Seems to like staying anonymous and turning off comments... Wonder whyyy. BTW this is a reupload of the original.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 05:28:47 PM »

it was a lot of nothing if you ask me. Worst part is having a look leaves my you tube feed loaded with foreign language videos of the same mess around Tamihi Falls. I guess I should go to night school to learn a new language.

Just hit the "Dislike" button on the video if you watch something in future you don't want more of.

If that particular video is now private and you can't dislike it, the next time you see a video on the home page that you aren't interested in, click the three dots to the right of the video title and select "Not Interested". It might take a couple of tries but the algorithm learns pretty quick not to show you that stuff.

You can also visit the new video (with comments turned off) and report the video by clicking the three dots under the video. I reported it as "Violent or Repulsive Content" > "Animal Abuse". It only takes a few reports to get a video flagged, so long as multiple users report the video for the same reason.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:32:58 PM by Blood_Orange »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 06:13:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO_eQ4h7-cE

He is being quite brave speaking like this. Seems to like staying anonymous and turning off comments... Wonder whyyy. BTW this is a reupload of the original.

I think this guy likes me. ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 06:45:11 PM »

Just hit the "Dislike" button on the video if you watch something in future you don't want more of.

If that particular video is now private and you can't dislike it, the next time you see a video on the home page that you aren't interested in, click the three dots to the right of the video title and select "Not Interested". It might take a couple of tries but the algorithm learns pretty quick not to show you that stuff.

You can also visit the new video (with comments turned off) and report the video by clicking the three dots under the video. I reported it as "Violent or Repulsive Content" > "Animal Abuse". It only takes a few reports to get a video flagged, so long as multiple users report the video for the same reason.

Thanks that's a valid suggestion but it's not that I dislike the video, i just don't really want to watch more of the same. Youtube, Facebook and Google are the same in thinking because a person looked at a certain kind of content they''l want to see more. For example i enjoy some videos from the Hoover Institute about foreign affairs and international strategy but having watched 2 or 3 of those I get anti-climate science videos suggested from them as well.

I also can't see how any angler could describe this as animal abuse given we inflict the same kind of violence on fish regardless of how we hook them. These rules and ethics have zero to do with avoidance of cruelty. Some of them are rather mindless IMO.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:59:09 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 07:43:54 PM »

Thanks that's a valid suggestion but it's not that I dislike the video, i just don't really want to watch more of the same. Youtube, Facebook and Google are the same in thinking because a person looked at a certain kind of content they''l want to see more. For example i enjoy some videos from the Hoover Institute about foreign affairs and international strategy but having watched 2 or 3 of those I get anti-climate science videos suggested from them as well.

I also can't see how any angler could describe this as animal abuse given we inflict the same kind if violence on fish regardless of how we hook them. These rules and ethics have zero to do with avoidance of cruelty. Some of them are rather mindless IMO.

What Blood Orange was saying is that if you click on "not interested", YouTube will not recommend more similar videos to you on the homepage.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 10:04:36 PM »

What Blood Orange was saying is that if you click on "not interested", YouTube will not recommend more similar videos to you on the homepage.

Thanks but I understood that. I'd actually prefer that they didn't suggest content based on my previous viewing at all but provide a index of topics from which I could select using my understanding of what I am interested in. Frankly their AI algorithms are are so simplistic if I did that they'd likely stop recommending any  angling related videos at all. i am also pretty sure that virtually any angling video on youtube gets quite a number of reports of "Violent or Repulsive Content" > "Animal Abuse" from the PETA/ AR people to make it it meaningless.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2021, 11:33:48 AM »

Yup!

Ralph, if you don't want to have Youtube suggest videos to you via your viewing history + algorithm then use Youtube in "Private" or "Incognito" mode (depends on your browser). Youtube will treat you like a new viewer it hasn't seen before. You lose access to your subscriptions though because if you log in, it'll obviously know it's you ;)

I brought up reporting the video as a way to troll the guy and get it taken down. It's not going to change the world but maybe it will annoy the guy, lol.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2021, 12:32:08 PM »

Yup!

Ralph, if you don't want to have Youtube suggest videos to you via your viewing history + algorithm then use Youtube in "Private" or "Incognito" mode (depends on your browser). Youtube will treat you like a new viewer it hasn't seen before. You lose access to your subscriptions though because if you log in, it'll obviously know it's you ;)

thanks again for the suggestions and these I can look into.

Like or not this video does not feature an illegal fishing technique. If it is indeed a flossing technique, flossing is not illegal.  People's definition of ethics is their personal issue & trying to harass or annoy them is unlikely to change their mind.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2021, 12:36:32 PM »

People's definition of ethics is their personal issue & trying to harass or annoy them is unlikely to change their mind.
I know, I know. Why have you got to sound so darn reasonable all the time?!