Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need opinions 8wt rods  (Read 5818 times)

kanuckle head

Need opinions 8wt rods
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:42 AM »

Need advise on a 8wt stick, to fish locally in fresh & salt
My criteria ease of cast but able to shoot in wind, mostly in long distance but accurate in short & not break the bank

Looking to retire my Sage rpl III 890. that has served me well. except on windy conditions, that make me use my spin caster as supposed to a blown cast or a hook in the face

Thanx

Kh

ajransom

Re: Need opinions 8wt rods
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:11:15 AM »

Plenty of good brands. Based on what your posts said, I would go for a 10 foot rod. Will give you a bit of extra distance and mending ability in the river. Make it a but harder to land fish but totally worth it for the distance and mending ability.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »

the rpls were/are great rods. Not sure you can expect better performance into the wind from something else. Maybe you need to research tips on casting into the wind before spending the extra bucks. Of course new rods are always fun to get.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »

Whats your budget look like and what line are u using?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »

Longer rod will not make casting into the wind easier, it'll make it tougher in fact because your line is higher in the air and your line doesn't move as compact (tight loops). ever notice how most 9wt and heavier saltwater rods are 9' ?

I think what you should do is maybe take an advanced casting lesson or perhaps a lesson on casting into heavy wind as one would be when targeting fish on the salt flats when chasing bones, tarpon, permit, etc.

Learn to double haul properly and the wind will not be an issue anymore  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:30:36 PM »

there will always be a wind you can't cope with. I recall some tips from Lefty Kreh: use a lighter line weight if possible or use a slow sink/intermediate if possible. denser line and thinner diameter helps it cut the wind. It should also allow faster line speeds. As mentioned double haul. Reduce false casting. Crouch a bit and cast at an angle to your side to get under the wind to the extent possible. Don't attempt to cast as far as you might normally.

Also learn the wind cast which is kind of over your opposite shoulder. Get a switch or a shorter speyrod.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »

I recall some tips from Lefty Kreh: use a lighter line weight

I understand the other tips, however....

when Lefty said to use a lighter line weight does he mean to underline the rod, or use a 7wt instead of an 8wt?

Either way I do not see an overall advantage to the lower line weight, as you lose line speed and kinetic energy into the wind if you drop from an 8 to a 7.  The only advantage would be a thinner line diameter, but the biggest thing is getting the line speed up to cut the wind.  If you can't get the line speed greater then the wind, you aint going anywhere...

Btw in a Rio Perception the head weight of a WF7F is 245 grains (37 feet), the WF8F is 290 grains (38 feet).

Tenz85

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »

I'm  also tinkering with my fly techniques, tackle and theory.  How about lighter line but a heavier fly or thicker leader or a sink tip (assuming the sink tip adds weight to the end of the line)? I've also heard of lines wit compensated line density. Didnt quite graspy fully what it was about and just got the jist of how it sounds. The line density being compensated. Forgot where I heard it but I believe it was a good thing ($$$).

Edit - a few typos.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:16:51 PM by Tenz85 »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »

From Rio:
Density Compensation
The majority of modern fly lines feature a taper at the front end, which ensures that they cast smoothly and land on the water without too much impact. With sinking lines and sink tips, this taper creates a small problem; as the line gets thinner the amount of coating on it gets less.

The coating is what makes a fly line sink, so as the coating is reduced, the sink rate slows down. Usually this means a tapered sinking line sinks in a curve - with the thicker, heavier and denser body section sinking faster than the tip - not good for controlling the depth, and especially not good for detecting a take, or setting the hook.

RIO's Density Compensation adds a more dense material to the thin tip, which ensures the line sinks straight - better for knowing when a fish takes the fly, and far better for setting the hook. All RIO's premium tapered sinking lines and sink tips are Density Compensated.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »

I understand the other tips, however....

when Lefty said to use a lighter line weight does he mean to underline the rod, or use a 7wt instead of an 8wt?

yes

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »

the rpls were/are great rods. Not sure you can expect better performance into the wind from something else. Maybe you need to research tips on casting into the wind before spending the extra bucks. Of course new rods are always fun to get.

Agreed.  Not sure you're going to get a rod that will really cut through the wind any more than your RPL.  However, you will find that with today's technology, the same action rod will be much lighter!  I found that out a few years back with my 896 RPL+ (remember that Hook?).  Great rod, but very heavy compared to the FLi which I can cast just as far with.  Ended up getting an 896 FLi at a great price and use it for the salt.  Not a top end rod, but a very fine rod nonetheless.

And - YES! It is fun to get a new rod no matter what the issue happens to be... :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »

Longer rod will not make casting into the wind easier, it'll make it tougher in fact because your line is higher in the air and your line doesn't move as compact (tight loops). ever notice how most 9wt and heavier saltwater rods are 9' ?

I think what you should do is maybe take an advanced casting lesson or perhaps a lesson on casting into heavy wind as one would be when targeting fish on the salt flats when chasing bones, tarpon, permit, etc.

Learn to double haul properly and the wind will not be an issue anymore  :D

I'll second the "double haul" advice here.  Learning to effectively do a double haul will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your casting distance.

Ryanx

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »

If you're looking to treat yourself with a new rod, check out the Xi3 on closeout.
Really nice to cast and made for saltwater

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »

Agreed.  Not sure you're going to get a rod that will really cut through the wind any more than your RPL.  However, you will find that with today's technology, the same action rod will be much lighter!  I found that out a few years back with my 896 RPL+ (remember that Hook?).  Great rod, but very heavy compared to the FLi which I can cast just as far with.  Ended up getting an 896 FLi at a great price and use it for the salt.  Not a top end rod, but a very fine rod nonetheless.

And - YES! It is fun to get a new rod no matter what the issue happens to be... :)

Yes of course I remember that FFM. Your RPL felt like a broom stick compared to the FLi due to the weight of it, No way I could cast that rod all day
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

kanuckle head

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »

Just picked up a xi3 890 Sage @ a 37% discounted price due to the upgrade Sage that is going konnetic technology on the salt water taper known as the SALT

Sweet price for a fast rod, have been practicing @ the local field on windy days with it blowing @ my face & was I very impressed with the shootability due to the over lined choice of 9wt lines
I am able to to dump the whole line with one false cast double haul'n, can't wait to try in real conditions

Thanx
Kh