Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are there so many Centerpiners this year?  (Read 13714 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Why are there so many Centerpiners this year?
« on: January 20, 2005, 08:59:07 AM »

I know it's not just me noticing this, but this season there appears to be a significant increase in the amount of centerpin users on the Vedder this year or should I say a higher percentage of fisherman are using centerpins over levelwinds. Why is this? It seems everone is going back to centerpins like the old timers used. Am I missing out on something good? I catch a lot of Steelhead each year and release virtually all of them so I know it wouldn't take me long to get into one to find out. Maybe I'll answer my own questions by borrowing a centerpin set-up to find out what the hype is all about. I suspect it will be the same rush as hooking Coho on the fly for the first time. That's so exciting I don't enjoy throwing spoons or bait for Coho nowhere near as much as flys now. I that what's happening - is it the rush of using simple tools to take game or is it more of a challange and therefore that's the reward, like Steelhead on the fly?

Oliver

Re: Why are there so many Centerpiners this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 09:13:38 AM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:15:35 AM by LimitKiller »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 10:03:03 AM »

LimitKiller,

Why did you upgrade? I've considered that set-up.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 10:13:21 AM »

The mass manufacturing of the trophy center pin certanly did help in increasing the popularity of CP in the lower mainland.  I think I remember seeing their combo for $249.99 in north van. 

They are nice little reels, seem to run smooth, but I can't believe that you will get the same life outta it compared to a higher quality one or even an older reel like an Avon (which can be found for $100-200).

Oliver

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »

LimitKiller,

Why did you upgrade? I've considered that set-up.

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:15:08 AM by LimitKiller »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 11:21:14 AM »

It's part of a trend. Alot of people talk about centerpins on forum such as this and people want to try it out. What's old is new again.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 11:57:44 AM »

Most c.p. users can tell you that the reason they use C.P. is for the fight quality, in which you are the drag, and you feel every tug & pull of the fish, and you alone control how much pressure on the line at every turn of the fight. Some moves of the fish, such as a jump & cartwheel, can be delicately controlled with your palm or fingers so there is less chance that your light leaders will snap because the darn drag just does not react quick enough.

The smoothness of the cast is also another reason why some people upgrade to c.p., just admire the beauty & the spin of the well engineered reel, to add to the beauty & feel of a jumping silver bullet at the end of the line - the top of the world feeling of steelheading.... :D :D You will find some c.p.ers even enjoy spinning their reels at home just to admire its smoothness. I know I did.

For those of you who are used to accurate long overhead casts (such as trying to hit behind a small pocket water across the river) with a smooth bait caster like the Calcutta, the initial experience of casting with a c.p. can be frustrating.  For longer cast, a side cast is the norm, and it takes a while before you can accurately hit a small target across the river, and retrieving is much longer as c.p. is a 1:1 ratio compared to 6:1 for some nice baitcasters. Other than that, c.p. is a joy to have. :D

But you are right, c.p. are generally pricy and beyond the budget of most people. If there is a cheaper alternative to get in, why not. I wish I had the same alternative before purchasing my Silex and Purist. ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 01:33:18 PM »

Thank you all for your input so far. OK - now I'm more interested to try centerpinning but obviously there's a bit of research that I need to do to make sure I get good value for my equipment purchase.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 11:21:44 AM »

In my case, the move to a centerpin was done simply to increase the challenge, and therefore the experience while out on the flow. I own, and have used hard, no less than 6 levelwinds of varying configuration. They definitely have their place, and it's unlikely that I'll ever part with all of them.It took several years to become competent to level I now am with the levelwind, during which literally hundreds of salmon and steel came to hand. The efficiency of the levelwind cannot be matched, it is by far the best tool to get the job done - fast retreive and casts mean more time in the sweet spot, translating to more hook-ups. Super long casts with accuracy are the nature of the beast.
But, after some time, it began to almost seem mundane. I knew, with each outing, I would get into them when they were there, and the challenge of doing so slowly evolved into the numbers challenge, which I recognized as contrary to the way I perceived myself as an angler. It's NOT competition, the point IS enjoyment.
So, I decided that the next step up would be the pin. Worked, and rather well in my case. Yes, I now catch fewer fish than I did when using the levelwind exclusively. I expected that. BUT I truely enjoy each and every fish much more during battle than I now do on the levelwind. The one on one action is an adreniline screaming rush, and when successfull, brings a definite sense of accomplishment and enjoyment back into the game.
I truely LOVE the new Islander, and now wonder why I didn't switch over years ago.

Just this man's humble opinion.

Cheers,
Nog

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 02:23:51 PM »

It's what I learned with,then used the level winds for years,something nice about being able to feel your bait/lures movement and when good fortune shines on you feeling the fish.Funfish said it well.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »

IronNoggin hits it right on the (noggin) head.

After using and mastering a CP most people will never go back to any other type of reel. The playing of a fish is just so enjoyable as you the angler are in complete control of the action. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 07:29:17 PM »

The only thing I don't like about the centerpins is the 1:1 ratio. You can cover more water using the baitcaster

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »

The only thing I don't like about the centerpins is the 1:1 ratio. You can cover more water using the baitcaster

Do some weights, then you can reel faster. ;D

My first experience with the Islander Steelheader was pretty good. The casting wasn't too hard to pick up, but it sure was a lot of work like FA said. All that was forgotten though when the first fish was hooked. The feel is different, very exciting. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 08:16:26 PM »

You actually hooked a fish ? Wow ! :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 08:18:51 PM »

Seven months, two weeks and one day until me outfish FA at No. 3 Road pier for pinks..... ;)