Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 23rd 2010  (Read 1705 times)

devon42

Chilliwack River, October 23rd 2010
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »

started out first light in the lower. arrived a spot i haven't fished since last year, got their to see a few other guys there but no big deal still got a good spot. hooked a couple of jacks that got off shortly after hooking them. hard to keep those lil buggers on. after a bit more time my dad also looses a jack and brings in a nice wild one around 5 pounds.. i finally bring in a wild jack shortly after  that and release it back into the water. this all happened within about an hour or so. after that the bite turns off and nothing for a few more hours. by this time all the other people have left and its just me and my dad on the hole run which was an awesome change.. its good to finally be able to enjoy the trip without being surrounded with people. a few hours of nothing the float finally goes down and this one has some weight to it...  with the clear water i can see the fish fighting in the water and i can see that its a Good size coho so i get  excited and bring it in to see that its a hatchery so i keep my first adult coho of the season,    good day of fishing. no chum or springs today.. and all fish were caught on roe i cured up.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:34:13 PM by devon42 »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Chilliwack River, October 23rd 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »

I made a quick trip out this morning before my sons football game in Chilliwack. Hooked 5 adult coho, 3 jacks and 3 jack springs all in 2 hours and all on roe.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fisherama

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:10:23 AM »

Congrats on the first adult coho of the season devon42, sounds like a great day of father-son fishing!!

I was eager to try out my first ever batch of cured roe, and decided to head up as well today.  I had little confidence in the roe since I half-assed the cure, skipped the whole drying process and decided just to borax all the moisture out of it.  It didn't smell as "roey" as a Berry's batch, but to my surprise, it worked great.  I ended the day with about 10 coho hooked and 6 to the beach, a couple of old springs, and 1 chum. 

An early morning hatchery ho, released to fight another day

Early morning wild ho

Fruits of my labour.  And more roe for experimental cures.

The ticket

mark

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

Nice catch.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »

Wow, nice catch!   I also have some roe that I cured in a half assed fashion so I have no confidence in how well it is going to work.  This gives me some hope that maybe..just maybe..I have a shot out on the Vedder this week.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »

nice ho's fisherama.....maybe my half assed roe just might work as well. ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »

good day of fishing. no chum or springs today.. and all fish were caught on roe i cured up.
Good catch, congratulations!

You didn't see any chum or springs because they were all where my buddy Tad and I were fishing... :D
We found a nice stretch of water with nary a soul in sight and came across a fabulous holding spot.
Both the springs and the chum were like totally into orange yarn. The takes were so aggressive we had to hold on to our rods very tightly.

In the four hours we were there we must have caught and released at least 10 springs and 10 chum each.
Most springs were not keepers (to our standards although many would have kept them 'for the smoker'), but the chum were beautiful - fresh from the ocean.
It's nice to know that they are coming in after all - after yesterday's day on the Vedder I am a little bit more optimistic about the fate of the chum fishery. No coho for us except a couple of little jacks that were released.

Oh, BTW, I caught a sea-run cutthroat in the lower Vedder in the morning with sea lice still attached to it! How cool is that?!
Wish I had had my camera with me, but I forgot to pack it.

All in all, a nice day on the Vedder, but even nicer to stay home and chill out with this weather today! :o

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »

All in all, a nice day on the Vedder, but even nicer to stay home and chill out with this weather today! :o

The weather was great today. Didnt get wet at all this morning while fishing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »

i need to establish some sort of fishing crew as whenever i find spots to myself, they are not solo spots for long...maybe the key is to fish in groups of 3 to fully secure a run or pool