Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: injured bear in back yard queston  (Read 3927 times)

newb33

injured bear in back yard queston
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »

i know its not fishing but i live in roberts creek on the sunshine coast and theres a resident bear in the back forest well this morning he came out of the wood walking on three legs with a bad limp his front right leg was tucked up. not a aggressive bear so dont need to call conservation but with his injury should i call a conservation officer.  just dont want them to kill the bear hes reallly a good bear causes no problems just eats the berries

jimmywits

Re: injured bear in back yard queston
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »

Tough call, I live in Lynn Valley and we have bears all the time and noone on our street ever calls the authorities. These bears always move on back up the mountain and have never hurt anyone. However a wounded bear could eventually pose problems, so maybe for yours and it's own, well being, it may not be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:06:52 AM by jimmywits »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »

the problem is an injured bear that can't hunt or forage for food will start to starve. that's when they become dangerous and start looking for easier slower prey... ie humans.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »

There is a three pawed Bear on the Chehalis. It survives just fine with only three usable legs. I don't think this bear would starve. I'd still call as CO and make them aware of the situation.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »

depends on the extent of the injury and how well it heels or if infection sets in.

YetiHunter

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »

Id' call the CO if an injured bear was hanging around, just so they are aware of the situation. I doubt they would shoot it just because it was limping, but they would probably want to know about it.

bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »

Get your wife to hold it down and put some polysporin on it...if your wife is busy I'll send mine over.

Kenwee

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »

I like your suggestion Bluenoser, that's a convenient way of getting rid of the nagging wife? Hahaha

cyalatte

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »

Bears don't stand a chance against the wives  ;D

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »

My grandmother would be screeching at the bear from the back porch, "Just rub a little butter on it!" That was her fix for every injury.

dmoney

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

My grandmother would be screeching at the bear from the back porch, "Just rub a little butter on it!" That was her fix for every injury.

LOL.. my grandma believed in the magical healing powers of dirt.... "rub some dirt on it and walk it off!!"

D$

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »

i know its not fishing but i live in roberts creek on the sunshine coast and theres a resident bear in the back forest well this morning he came out of the wood walking on three legs with a bad limp his front right leg was tucked up. not a aggressive bear so dont need to call conservation but with his injury should i call a conservation officer.  just dont want them to kill the bear hes reallly a good bear causes no problems just eats the berries

Call a C.O. office, they have extensive training in wildlife management and have courses that focus on bear behavior under their belt. They don't go around shooting everything, they will assess the bear's condition based on it's behavior and make a decision, and no this doesnt mean they will euthanize it on the spot, only will they do so if it is a threat to humans i.e. doesn't run away when ppl try and scare it, etc

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »

Call CO.  As long as it's not been a problem bear they won't shoot it down.  Instead they'll bring in vets to "patch" it up.

newb33

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »

its the wifes birthday today so maybe ill borrow your bluenoser hahaha
talked to guy down the road and he said he seen a scruffly bear limping last week so it seems its been a injury for a while now gonna call CO