Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question for all you bass anglers out there...  (Read 1405 times)

Fishmaster J

A question for all you bass anglers out there...
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »

Hey guys, unfourtunately i am doing some work down in Missisippi right now and am missing out on the end of our Steelhead season back in BC.  Trying to ease the pain a little bit, a friend down here who has been fishing the same area for 30 years took me fishing for largemouth a couple of times and having never fished for Bass before, I have found it quite interesting...  One evening after work, between us we landed about 30-40 largemouths using mostly big worms and beatle spins.  This was a lot of fun because of all the action, but as I had expected most were "yearlings" and under 1.5-2lbs, and the locals just drag em in because of lack of fight etc. 

The next day he told me to fish deep for the "big momma's" so we did.  No takers for a while but maybe an hour later, I hooked into something with a bit of personality.  My stiff, perhaps over powered rod bent right over and the fight was on!  A few minutes later it seemed the fish had lost its gusto and I got her close to the boat, probably one of the biggest bass I have ever seen (in photos anyway).  A couple more quick spirited runs around and under the small aluminium boat, much like a pissed off spring the first time u look him in the eye and we had her in the boat.  No scale with us but she was probably just over 28", pretty fat and weighed approx 8 lbs.  I let her go back to the depths, and later my friend told me that most people around these parts would have had a fish like this mounted!

So my question is, is a fish like that considered a trophy? Or was my buddy just a bit over the top?

Next on the list: CATFISH!!!

Tight lines!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: A question for all you bass anglers out there...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:10:48 PM »

Yes it's a biggun-hawg I think the word they use.

Largemouth don't fight as hard as Smallmouth though.

Catfish are quite tasty.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »

my uncle fishes tons for bass in Tulsa, that was a trophy :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »

What are "beatle spins" ?

Fishmaster J

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

Hmm, interesting.  Ya Ive heard that small mouth are a better fight as well.  Beetlespins are like a wire holding a black or yellow rubber beetle (larvae?) trailed with a hook, and suspended off the same curved wire about 1" above is a small silver(in this case) spinner to attract.  The smaller fish and other species just love em. "Mmmhmm, them thar fishes um tasty crits! An its crawdad seanon rightbout now dadde!" Its like freakin Dukes of hazard down here...but Jessica Simpson is even fatter...  But it sure is nice to fish a secluded and productive small lake that only 5-6 people EVER fish, thats barely 20min off the highway!  If I had a spot like that for trout back home, Id never leave it!

Fishmaster J

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »

Nope, standard "swear it was this big" fishing story.  Rowed quick back to shore (fairly small lake/pond), grabbed camera phone, buddy took a pic and showed it to me, agreed it was a good one, I turn around to let her go, buddy closes the phone... without pressing the ok/save pic button.  But we did promise ourselves to bring the digital cam this weekend.  If I get a chance at another (apparently they are around) Ill have a whole memory card full, believe me.

At least he made up for it, he girt mammy ta fixup aw bigol' pilup fried chicken un collard greens, anda tallem glass um sweet tea, mmm hmm.