Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis july 19  (Read 3113 times)

fintail1

• got milt?
chehalis july 19
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:15:23 PM »

arrived at the chehalis around 10:00 and fished till' 3. It was my first time there so i was just getting familiar with all the different spots and such. Fish wise i had two hits that were probably smolts because i could see them everywhere, no summer runs or chinook which was a suprise, although i wasn't expecting to hook any chinooks. saw only three others and there story is pretty much the same. Even after i pounded a beautiful tailout with roe for about an hour nothing hit except every cast the same little fish would tap it to show he was there. All in all there is not much really happening in that river right now, i expect the springs to move in, in about two weeks or so, but those of you thinking to check it out, i guess you could say it is a waste of time, mind you i dind't fish the river from top to bottom.
tight lines
ftail1
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

stlhd4ever

Re: chehalis july 19
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »

Steelies should still be around. I think springs should come soon.
Wishin I was Fishin

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »

i think all the kelts are gone though

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:09:33 PM »

Thanks for the report! Ill be out that way tomorrow...hopefully
weeeeeeeeeow!

river walker

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »

i years past , ive doone well for the summers  by spot fishing in some of the side chanels .  when the flows were on the hatch side.   until it goes on that side again im going to leave it alone . in my opinion it should be closed but until then .... have at er!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:54:18 PM by river walker »
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:27:09 AM »

no reason to close the chehalis right now...runs may appear weak but thats cause the water sucks and they dont hold so we have trouble finding the fish now.  If you go into the bush below the bible camp, you will find lots of sand and crap that fish just dont like to hang around in.  I think the run numbers are probably very similar to what they were 5-8 years ago when I was cleaning up out there but because the river has changed and the canyon is a tough place to fish, I think a lot of the run is simply inaccessible to the average fisher.

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:07:40 PM »

i just found out yesterday that i was fishing the canyon, and should have been fishing closer to the hatchery :( :'(
well at least i know for next time but it still hurts

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:34:35 PM »

Took the words right out of my mouth. Like we the fisherman have been saying, they need to detour the water.
Fish killer 101

Pat AV

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »

The Chehalis Hatch has been using Coquihalla summer runs for broodstock on a kill fishery? Am I reading that right? Please tell me it's a type-o!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »

They have been doing that for many years, not many rivers to choose from when your looking for summer run stock.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »

Those were the good old days when you can easily hook into 5 or 6 summer run steelies. When the pools were deep enough, we would hook into a huge steelie thinking that its a Spring. Most of the summer runs were quite small but when you hit a 12lb summer run, the fight is just plain amazing.

My son caught his first steelhead just below the hatchery many years ago.

For many years, you can actually see the red springs swimming in schools during this time of the year. They were not easy to hook but we would try anyways. I remember one year, this kid came in and hooked like 10 straight and we did not touch a single fish. He was using some strange purple, black and white combinations.

I really missed those days.....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 08:38:12 PM by steelieman »

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »

i might try there again on august 1st range by the hatchery , by that time i might actually hook into some fish whether it be steelhead or chinook salmon

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »

Cant wait till november, Coho! gonna try my first cp(trophy) with a fenwick rod. hopefully i dont break it the first trip. LOL  ;D
Fish killer 101

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »

if it's trophy coho you want the squamish/cheak have great nothern coho fishing in late november to early december, i dont know if this year is a strong run or small one but they are huge none the less and they average around 8-10 range, my friend has caught a few 20 lbers but this was a while back but there still is probably a few big uns in there

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »

k i'll try there too. I like the chehalis cus it has so much canyon water, and if i want i can just cruise down to the runs on the lower and fish spoons and spinners.
Fish killer 101