Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visiting from Florida Halfmoon Bay and Whistler first part of June  (Read 2609 times)

shallowfly

Looking for some fly suggestions for almost the middle of June. I will be visiting with the family wife and teenage daughter and staying first on the waterfront for a week in Halfmoon Bay. Never been there, so any suggestions on fly patterns for me to tie prior to visiting or just anything in general is appreciated.

Second will be in upper Whistler for a week.

Any patterns or tips is appreciated and will be reciprocated if you are visiting in Florida.

Also, a 3 wt and 6 wt is what I will be bringing.

Thanks.....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Visiting from Florida Halfmoon Bay and Whistler first part of June
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »

Can't help you much regarding fishing at Halfmoon Bay as I have never done it there, but here's some information on Whistler area.

when we head up to Whistler, we usually fish Alta Lake. There are several spots where you can fish from shore (two parks, one at the northwest end and one at the southeast end, both have piers). You can also rent canoes at one of these parks. For flies, I've always just used a brown/olive wooly bugger (size 8, 10) and have done ok with it. The 3wt should be good enough for these fish. Occasionally you'll come across a large cutthroat trout. Sometimes a chironomid (size 14, 16) fished under an indicator works well too if fish are active near the surface on a warm day.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=173

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fF7pjHXyQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzr58nlwYos

You should also try Lost Lake in Whistler Village. It is stocked annually with rainbow trout.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »

Trout Lake before arriving Halfmoon Bay is good.  olive woolybuggers produced for us.

If you get the chance stop by Skookumchuck Narrows further to the north in Egmont.  It's a beautiful place there.  On the way there are a number of lakes that's also great for cutties and kokanee.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:12:52 PM by BwiBwi »

shallowfly

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:57:06 AM »

Thanks for the info and the links. Question on the woolyboogers.

I am tying them size 8 to 10 so good there, and now I know to add brown to the arsenal.

1st question - flash:. I recently read that a strip of flashabou in gold down both sides has made the fly much more productive. So with that said what do you recommend flash wise? Chrystal flash in pearl, or maybe fire orange, or the black that shines in green, I have them all so let me know or the strip of gold flashabou one on each side and nothing else?

2nd question: How thick do you tie should they be a sparse tie or nice and full?

3 rd question: I am tying them with a wire wrap so they sink a little faster but not with a cone head, is that the way to go or is cone head more productive since it is a lake and not a river?

In the video I saw he used a swivel to get down a little quicker, never done this before would kind of like to just make the fly do the job what do you recommend?

Last question, is the Stickle fish something they feed on there and do you recommend some minnow patterns or I am I getting this confused with reading from Halfmoon Bay?

I go a little overboard in research when tying for a new travel adventure ha ha. But its all part of the anticipation of the trip and fun to catch a fish on something you made so its all good.....

Thanks again for the replies, we are blind coming there so all help is appreciated as well as just places to visit for the scenery, or a hike, or a good meal.

Take care,

Shallowfly

carpenter

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »

not that experienced but full bodied for buggers and a little sparse for leeches as when you strip and pause the body will ball . as for the flash cant hurt to try a new colour flash i believe geen flash with olive bugger , red with maroon so on and so on going up to halfmoon bay this weekend . going for a wedding could get a little time on trout lake let you know?  ;D

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

If you contact me I will set you up with a "Trout Stalker" Flyfishing Pram to use for Alta lake. I live across the street from the boat launch and its a easy do.

This is a one person boat and will get you out on the water for nothing(no rentals)

Dave
Whistler

currieartworks@hotmail.com
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

shallowfly

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »

Well, the time is here. Fly's are all tied based on your tips, and we are leaving in the morning on the first part of our journey to Half Moon Bay to enjoy some hiking, kayaking, and fly fishing BC style, then off to Whistler in a week.

I want to thank everyone who replied. When you come from this far away, its really nice to have local input. And thanks very much to Dave for offering to let me use the "Trout Stalker", this will be a learning experience, never been in one before and its much appreciated. Here in Florida if you used one of these in fresh water a 12 foot alligator would be having you for a snack in about 15 minutes on the water lol.... I sent you an e-mail a minute ago so look forward to hearing from you.

Next post will be to let you know how I did.

Thanks again everyone and take care........

Shallowfly

shallowfly

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »

Well I am back at home and back to work with a lot of great memories of your area. Halfmoon Bay tidal fish wise was a bust I was told I was a couple weeks to early so we enjoyed a week of kayaking and hiking without fishing. Met with Dave at Whistler and he sure is a great guy. Gave me all sorts of tips, we shared pictures from previous trips, let me use his personal trout stalker for fishing Alta lake and then we traded fly's we had both tied. So I am bringing home some BC fly influence to incorporate to my Florida fishing and future fresh water trout fishing and he in turn has some Florida influence to test on some unsuspecting BC fish ;D

I cant say enough about Dave, great all around person and an artist too so look him up and hang some local art work at your home...

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the forum, all of your tips are appreciated. I live in central Florida between Disney and Tampa Bay and if anyone is visiting please contact me for tips or if your close enough there will be an open seat on my boat waiting for your arrival; salt of fresh your choice.

You can reach me at inquest4@aol.com.

Take care, Walt aka: Shallowfly