Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UBC prof to document fishing factors  (Read 1227 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
UBC prof to document fishing factors
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »

Better late than never I guess :-\ I just hope goverments listen to the suggested policy changes instead of special interest groups throwing cash at them.

UBC prof to document fishing factors

Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

VANCOUVER - A professor at the University of British Columbia has won a $150,000 three-year fellowship to document financial factors contributing to unsustainable commercial fishing around the world.

Ussif Rashid Sumaila, an associate professor at UBC's Fisheries Centre, is one of five recipients of the 2008 Pew Fellowship in Marine Conservation, which supports marine conservation projects worldwide.

With the award, Sumaila will create databases that detail the cost and ecological impact of commercial fishing that will form the basis for models to document the massive fiscal and environmental waste being caused by poor management of global ocean resources, the Pew Institute for Ocean Science said in a news release.

"Sumaila's Pew Fellowship project will provide concrete arguments for smarter policy making concerning fisheries management worldwide," Pew Institute executive director Ellen Pikitch said in the release.

The other four recipients are from United States, China, France and Australia.

© The Vancouver Sun 2008
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
Re: UBC prof to document fishing factors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »

Wow,

Thats a nice sized award. Money well spent IMO.

"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown