Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updates on the Thompson?  (Read 7642 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Updates on the Thompson?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »

I thought about fishing the Thompson for the first time this year and then I thought about the well being of these sacred fish. Therr numners are so low yet fisheries open it for C/R for the well being of anglers and the economy. Its time to put the well being of theses fish first and im not going to fish this fishery until the numbers go way up. Which will probably never happen.

Just my 2 cents.
It can if people and groups like the SSBC work towards getting the numbers back up to where they once were.

If we just sit on the side lines nothing will happen thats for sure.

salmonlover

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »

It can if people and groups like the SSBC work towards getting the numbers back up to where they once were.

I agree these groups are important to regaining the salmon and steelhead numbers. My biggest problem is why most fishing clubs dont use their biggest resource...first nations. Instead of harping on them calling them poachers and not understanding their rights. They are never going to change first nations rights...if you can't beat them join them. The environmentalist that are trying to stop the northern gateway pipeline understand this, and have used first nations in a very beneficial way. David Suzuki (dont see eye to eye on a lot of things) but he has supported first nations and understands their rights, and knows that they are very important to saving the salmon population. I've always contended this....we will get nowhere unless sport-fishers and first nations come together. They have the rights we don't....so why not use them to our advantage. If rivers are endangered where you are find the local band....and persuade the council to take up the cause. Ive talked to a lot of bands on the fraser river, and they are just as fed up with the populations as you are.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 06:28:16 PM »

I find it funny that people say it shouldnt be posted on the forums yet I see a ton of people posting pics of steelhead caught from the Thompson on Facebook.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

patagonia

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »

I guess it all depends on how you use facebook... this thread has 588 views already, if you have only your close friends and family on facebook and your photos restricted to your friends then the exposure is very limited; however, if you use facebook like youtube and have an open searchable profile then you are right, no real difference

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »

I find it funny that people say it shouldnt be posted on the forums yet I see a ton of people posting pics of steelhead caught from the Thompson on Facebook.

Its one thing to post on a fishing forum and another to post amongst mutual friends on facebook...
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »

Only hardened anglers fish the T at this time of year. ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14:14 PM »

I guess it all depends on how you use facebook... this thread has 588 views already, if you have only your close friends and family on facebook and your photos restricted to your friends then the exposure is very limited; however, if you use facebook like youtube and have an open searchable profile then you are right, no real difference

I disagree. I would argue most people these days do not have open, searchable facebook profiles... and it's doubtful guys who are looking for fishing info would start typing in random names in hopes of finding someone who fishes and posts photos of the fish they catch along with locations and names... facebook and this forum are not even remotely similar.

The only people on here are those interested in fishing and looking for info... most of whom we don't know. This is far different form facebook, where - for example, (on my friends list) only about 5% of them fish... and of that 5%, all fish ethically....

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »

Most anglers who are willing to travel 100's of km and spend equally as much in dollars for the privilege of catch and release are not your typical meat hunters. They're usually the most knowledgeable or at the least most respectful of the fish and don't take the resource for granted.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:04:28 PM by blaydRnr »

brownmancheng

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 09:17:31 AM »

Most anglers who are willing to travel 100's of km and spend equally as much in dollars for the privilege of catch and release are not your typical meat hunters. They're usually the most knowledgeable or at the least most respectful of the fish and don't take the resource for granted.

Bingo!! People that want to poach will stay as close to home as possible @ the most productive waterways possible. Nobody wants to admit, fishers just love to keep secrets :):):)

Bandit420

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »

this is how i see it now. those fish have to travel so far and once they make it to the T. Lets say one fish gets hooked pre spawn, puts up an epic fight and is drained of much needed energy. then the fish goes and spawns and is now a kelt and will eat anything
 here comes bobby with his rod and hooks this kelt which is now depleted of basically of all its energy because it had to fight for its life. now is this fish really going to make that long journey back to sea? I highly doubt it. so the best thing you can do for those fish is too just leave them alone and let them spawn.

my other 2 pennies.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

this is how i see it now. those fish have to travel so far and once they make it to the T. Lets say one fish gets hooked pre spawn, puts up an epic fight and is drained of much needed energy. then the fish goes and spawns and is now a kelt and will eat anything
 here comes bobby with his rod and hooks this kelt which is now depleted of basically of all its energy because it had to fight for its life. now is this fish really going to make that long journey back to sea? I highly doubt it. so the best thing you can do for those fish is too just leave them alone and let them spawn.

my other 2 pennies.

um.... sounds really scientific  ::) good for you

Bandit420

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »

LOL! I find this post funny ;D. Facebook is for sharing with friends and family not 5000 people that are lurking on a website! Come on now....

Bandit420

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »

um.... sounds really scientific  ::) good for you

Not scientific just use of the good old common sense.....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »

my other 2 pennies.

These steelhead actually do not spawn until several months after the fishery closes, so the recapturing of post-spawning fish can be avoided.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »

These steelhead actually do not spawn until several months after the fishery closes, so the recapturing of post-spawning fish can be avoided.
Why? Rod Why? I was going to ask 420 when those fish spawned! Now where did i put my roach clip! ;)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"