Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updates on the Thompson?  (Read 7643 times)

oscar

Updates on the Thompson?
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »

Heading to the Thompson lookin' for steel monday/tues.... any recent updates/stories?

yakideath12

Re: Updates on the Thompson?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »

make sure bring a stick ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

Must be doing well as no one is giving reports, here anyway. ??? ;D

oscar

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »

Still "putting in time" before I'm able to access reports section.... just fishin! Local buddies have been fishing it lately with some success.... just stoked to be going, looking for inspiration! Been on the bucket list for some time... finding the time to persue is another story. :)

patagonia

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »

Go up and explore, its one of those systems that people dont want to see plastered on forums, enjoy the river with your buddies and share your stories over a beer, not on the internet.

oscar

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »

Just generating discussion on a "discussion board" I thought was available to share stories.  :-\ Yes I do have all the reports I need, just being social. My bad.

patagonia

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »

Oscar, the intent of my reply was really just to let you know as a new member that reporting about certain systems on the internet can be dangerous... it maybe was a little blunt, I can admit that. The fact is that this site is viewed by thousands of members and people just trolling for easy info that they dont have to work for. Im not saying the Thompson is a secret, or you are one of those guys, just saying that systems like the Thompson are recovering and added pressure is not what it needs. If I posted a report of fishing the Seymour, another system in recovery, saying I hammered a nice hatch coho, you would see 10 more guys than u did yesterday. These systems dont need the added pressure. Go there, by all means, put in the effort and discover the river, enjoy it and like I said before save your memories for yourself and your friends that were out there with u.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »

Oscar, the intent of my reply was really just to let you know as a new member that reporting about certain systems on the internet can be dangerous... it maybe was a little blunt, I can admit that. The fact is that this site is viewed by thousands of members and people just trolling for easy info that they dont have to work for. Im not saying the Thompson is a secret, or you are one of those guys, just saying that systems like the Thompson are recovering and added pressure is not what it needs. If I posted a report of fishing the Seymour, another system in recovery, saying I hammered a nice hatch coho, you would see 10 more guys than u did yesterday. These systems dont need the added pressure. Go there, by all means, put in the effort and discover the river, enjoy it and like I said before save your memories for yourself and your friends that were out there with u.
Well said Patagonia! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

oscar

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

[
Patagonia...Thanks for the heads-up.

I may be a "new member" but I'm not new to the fishing scene, or to the adverse effects the internet can have on our local flows.Although this site is obviously full of trollers looking for easy info, there is also legitamate members looking to drum up disscussion on the "discussion board".I understand that systems such as the Seymour and Thompson are delicate ,to say the least, but maybe try educating instead of policing.I bet we all wish we could control the pressure our local rivers see.

I'll be there putting in the effort enjoying and discovering the river,fishing responsibly, and sharing my experiences with my friends and anybody else that's interested..... but don't worry, I won't post it here.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 11:29:31 PM »

this site is obviously full of trollers....

Come on! That's an understatement... ::)

Just to echo what others have mentioned. It's good to see updates and reports on put and take fisheries, but fisheries such as the Thompson River and many others which can be categorized in a different class should be treated differently.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »

Heading to the Thompson lookin' for steel monday/tues.... any recent updates/stories?
You may want to watch this video if you have not already I filmed it a bit over a year ago.

http://youtu.be/zf9YK1-P_kM

Of course it will lead to some more discussion on this topic. ;D

brownmancheng

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »

What is the number one risk to the Thompson steelhead? Environmental(water temps), agticultural activity or interception during migration?
Anyone care to hypothesize??

oscar

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

Thanks Chris for the education.... I feel lucky to even have the opportunity to give it a shot.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »

Thanks Chris for the education.... I feel lucky to even have the opportunity to give it a shot.
Yes it is always a lovely river to be at as well as angle. I only fished steelhead there once, a few years ago and was fortunate to get one on my second cast and landed another as well later on.

Be very carefull out there as the rocks are very slippery especially when wet as many will attest too.

Bandit420

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »

I thought about fishing the Thompson for the first time this year and then I thought about the well being of these sacred fish. Therr numners are so low yet fisheries open it for C/R for the well being of anglers and the economy. Its time to put the well being of theses fish first and im not going to fish this fishery until the numbers go way up. Which will probably never happen.

Just my 2 cents.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!