Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Vedder September 18th  (Read 6007 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Lower Vedder September 18th
« on: September 18, 2005, 10:22:50 AM »

Well a couple buddies and I headed down to the lower river today, and since know one else had a report, I'll reply to my own post, however sad that is!!!!!!
 Got to the lower river around 1pm, after not a whole lot of success on the upper. Looked at a few places that produce fish, but not enough water yet.  So went to the standby spot.  As expected on the second cast hooked into about a 6lb doe (Pink) in really nice shape.  The bite didn't slow the whole time that we were there.  Searun took home his limit of 4, and gt took home one nice doe as well.  We also let go a human!!!!!  That is because I lost a fish earlier that day, The fish ( searun thinks it was a pink, I think it was a coho.  Hit hard and I was using pink roe) spit the hit and drill me in the jaw with the hook.  Set nice and deep as well.  So I will thank seaarun for not laughing while he was taking the hook out of my face!!!!!! GT on the other hand!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
Re: Lower Veddar
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:34:07 AM »

Well done Steel. :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Veddar
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 11:15:44 AM »

Ouch ! :'(

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Vedder September 18th
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 01:13:03 PM »

Looks like the fish had the last laugh today.
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 01:49:35 PM »

Yes, yes he did!!!! But at least I did get to exact a little revenge of my own later on pinks.  But I didn't really feel that vindicated.  At least the jaw didn't really hurt at all just the pride!!!! :P :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »

Nice to know the humans arnt tight lipped right now, ill give them a shot next week.
The Bigger The Better!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »

I was there this morning with wintersteel. It was a nice day to be out and I took home a chrome spring jack.  In the upper river after 10:00am we saw about a dozen coho in various pools but no takers.  Scouted some great spots for later.
Fish on!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »

Nice to hear bug pumper, I pretty much saw the same thing yesterday.  But the water is so low and clear right now, good luck getting anything other than pinks to hit after first light.  We are supposed to get some rain this week, hopefully enough to help.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:10:43 PM »

I was there sat. I seen 3 jack springs landed all on roe . I finally broke in my pin by landing a huge chum. I did see a few coho as well
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

WestEast

Re: So how was the canal today???
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »

Spent the morning trying to flyfish in the areas below KWB. Kept away from the crowded bars, and waded almost to Hwy 1. Nothing. But then, this was my first time using the fly for salmon. Went back to where I started, and everyone was hooking into a mix of pinks, chum and springs. So I bowed to the pressure, took out my gear equipment, and first cast into a nice fresh pink which I returned. Stayed another hour with nothing more. Others around me were catching. The schools were stacked, so if you get to where they are, you'll catch. Noticed some were snagged too, but they were being released. Generally a good, jovial crowd there.... but I still prefer singular fishing.

buck

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:06 PM »

While fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder today two younger anglers ( 15 -16 ) approached the run I was fishing and I was pleasantly surprised while observing them that they had some knowledge on at least how to fish properly. They did hook two fish but where a little heavy handed and broke them both off. There is so much long lining going on it makes me sick. Lot's of foul hooked pinks being taken. As for the two younger anglers they will have little trouble finding coho and steelhead if they stick to proper fishing techniques. Good on Ya.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 10:11:13 PM »

While fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder today two younger anglers ( 15 -16 ) approached the run I was fishing and I was pleasantly surprised while observing them that they had some knowledge on at least how to fish properly. They did hook two fish but where a little heavy handed and broke them both off. There is so much long lining going on it makes me sick. Lot's of foul hooked pinks being taken. As for the two younger anglers they will have little trouble finding coho and steelhead if they stick to proper fishing techniques. Good on Ya.

yeah... I was up on Sat and was quite digusted with the flosser's under the kieth wilson road bridge. I hated to go there but had to see it with my own eye's. Nothing is getting by there during the day light hours. I think we need some restictions about the way people fish the vedder chilliwack system put in place !!!!!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 10:28:37 PM »

I was down at the vedder too, somebody might have seen me im 15 years old :D anyways, me n my dad were somehwere between the keith wilson and the #1 brdge, I got a female pink right off the bat, my dad lost a few I lost what seemed to be a big coho or a medium spring, came right to me, headed to the beach and got away :/ then we decided to pack up and go home :P we didn't fish for long, only bout 2 hours, came there at like 5 pm...... the only downside are all the logs and branches in the river, guy next to me csated 2-3 times and snagged, and did that over and over... after about 5 times of snagging he left.. lol... I snagged only once . and once I had a fish and it went around a branch bout 5-6 times and it left my line tangled :P well enough writing.. haha

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 10:34:24 PM »

yeah... I was up on Sat and was quite digusted with the flosser's under the kieth wilson road bridge. I hated to go there but had to see it with my own eye's. Nothing is getting by there during the day light hours. I think we need some restictions about the way people fish the vedder chilliwack system put in place !!!!!

Why only the Vedder?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 10:53:46 PM »

Well eddie I'm guessing that allot of people are going to the vedder because they want to check out the river for the season.  It is also probably your best chance for an early season coho or spring.  Besides the pinks are really easy to catch i there right now if you go to the right spots.  I'm not talkin keith wilson either!!!