Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Chinook Run In California  (Read 2943 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Large Chinook Run In California
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »

I'm curious to know what people are seeing out there with regards to bait this year.  This article says they are seeing lots of bait abundance in the SF area, and I read another article that said they were even catching these fish south of the SF bay because that was where the chinook found bait this year.  I also have seen reports that the south Puget Sound anchovy population is booming.  But I know herring stocks are hurting in general.  What are other people seeing/hearing as far as baitfish in different locations this year?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »

Interesting to read the reports say bait fish numbers are much higher off North Cal this year.

A few weeks ago I listened to this interesting story about the state of herring stocks in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/little-fish-big-impact-how-the-loss-of-herring-hurts-more-than-our-oceans-1.5168777

It deals with the situation on both coasts. Basically the signs are the stocks are under stress.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »

Interesting to read the reports say bait fish numbers are much higher off North Cal this year.

A few weeks ago I listened to this interesting story about the state of herring stocks in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/little-fish-big-impact-how-the-loss-of-herring-hurts-more-than-our-oceans-1.5168777

It deals with the situation on both coasts. Basically the signs are the stocks are under stress.

Does anyone know how the life history of the sardine (pilchard) varies from the herring?  I believe sardines are their primary prey in California.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »

Albion test fishery looking better now with 62, last year around 23 for the same time period.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »

That's good news. May be the Fraser Pink Run 2019 can happen this year after shutting down 2017?